Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Creaking Floors!!!

mattd860

The second floor of my house has wall-to-wall carpeting. The plywood under the carpeting is creaking very bad making it impossible to tip-toe around in the middle of the night to check on the kids or for any other reason.

Is there a way to fix this without pulling back the carpeting???? Is there a special type of nail that I can drive down through the carpeting and into the plywood? A type of nail like this would have to have a narrow head slip through the carpeting but a large enough head to hold the plywood.

312Hydro

CRE1992

Matt I believe this is what you are looking for: http://www.homedepot...loor-14074.html

Damn you Hydro! lol I was trying to find the link for it. This stuff works remarkably well, my uncle has used it with much success.

• Like 1

312Hydro

Matt I believe this is what you are looking for: http://www.homedepot...loor-14074.html

Damn you Hydro! lol I was trying to find the link for it. This stuff works remarkably well, my uncle has used it with much success.

I have a laser mouse, it's faster on the draw! :techie-typing:

dsholler

If I had known about these I might have stayed in my former house... :)

stevasaurus

Very cool...just remember to have your weight where you are screwing down to make the floor tight as you go. :) :) :) To do it right the first time...a layer of felt paper between the sub floor and the underlayment using ring shank nails or 3/4" deck screws every 6".

On a side note...pulled up an underlayment at a costumers house in the kitchen some years ago, and they had used newspaper as a cushion. The newspaper was like new and was from September 1941...3 months before Pearl Harbor. Very interesting reading indeed. They were talking about the possibility of going to war and were very worried about Japan. Time capsule.

6wheeler

And all this time I just thought it was my knees, joints and the rest of this worn out carcass making them creaking sounds :laughing-rolling: . I better get up, I may fall asleep lying down like this.

Coadster32

That is pretty darn cool. Of course, now I live in house w/hardwood floors.

can whlvr

the ceeking noise is the wood slidding on the nails,up here we have to glue and screw subfloors so they dont creek in years to come,but you need to find the joists for the screws,i know a guy who hit a plumbing pipe trying to find the joist

decksetter

I always glue the heck out of my floor sheeting and also underneath my floor joists when I set them. Screws are better than nails, but glue with nails is usually sufficient. I've had good luck screwing old flooring down to stop creeking, but never tried to go through carpet.

tarcoleo

"the creeking noise is the wood sliding on the nails"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I recall in some old Popular Mechanics mag, that squeaking floors can be cured

with application of talcum to the squeaking area. Most carpeting would allow talcum

to pass through to the floor underneath, especially with a little patting persuasion.

Any way, if its only in one or two spots, this might offer a quick fix. Execess talcum can

be vacuumed afterwards. Easy to do, try it.