Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

Bought a truck

truckin88

In reference to my previous post, I was looking at used trucks. Well I wanted a 2500 or a 250, but NY makes you use commercial plates on any HD/SD truck gas or deisel. What this means is you can not run on any parkways (Taconic, BRP, Hutch, Sprain, Saw Mill, Pallisades). Since my job is based out of the city, even though I take the train, there are occasions I have to drive down, and the commercial plates are a deal breaker. Since I got the Deere 425 with plow, I figured that and a WH will work fine for snow duty, and I started looking at half tons. I did a long and exhaustive search in NY/NJ/CT, and one thing I realized, even with gas prices, both the 150/1500 and 250/2500 trucks (ford, gmc, dodge, and chevy) the dealers were not dealing on used, maybe 500-1500 off the asking price, but that was it. So one of the dealers mentioned I might actually get a better deal new, since there was so much factory money on them. Well that got me investigating. Long story short after finding a dealer in NJ that wanted to deal and had massive inventory with 75 Rams on the lot, I came home with a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 tradesman, 4.7L, rambox, factory baked spray in liner, quad cab, intergrated brake controller, a slew of other features. I got about 8K off sticker, after haggling and the factory backed money. Plus I got exact book value on the Honda I was trading. Compared to used, the brand new truck was only $800 more, than a dealt down price on a 2011 with 20K miles.

2 Days before, my dad scored a 2012 chevy 1500 ext cab fully loaded 5.3 4x4, chrome package, for 10K off sticker.

So with rates better on new, and everything considered I think I did pretty good, and in the long run, the new was a better deal.

Best part, the Ram is averaging 18-19MPG, I guess the 6 speed and eco mode are doing their job. Thanks for all the advise guys.

1maidenfan

Great choice of truck ! Might have opted for the 5.7 hemi engine gets same gas mileage and has the power needed to pull heavy loads. :twocents-02cents:

I traded my newer durango with the 4.7 for a 2004 with the hemi and it actually gets better mpg than the 4.7. 20/21 highway 16 city.

Any way good buy.

AMC RULES

:teasing-poke: :wwp:

Your's and Dads. :)

truckin88

Great choice of truck ! Might have opted for the 5.7 hemi engine gets same gas mileage and has the power needed to pull heavy loads. :twocents-02cents:

I traded my newer durango with the 4.7 for a 2004 with the hemi and it actually gets better mpg than the 4.7. 20/21 highway 16 city.

Any way good buy.

I had an 06 hemi great motor, but the new 4.7 has 310HP/330ft/lbs, which is more than enough, plus I could not find a hemi with the trademan options (ramboxes, bed liner, brake controller), with the nice interior, and some other stuff, plus it has the heated flip out tow mirrors in the color I wanted, all we found was white. It is basically a work truck with some nice upgrades and some very functional usable features, which is all I need. I think the Hemi Express was like 3K more after dealing, and did not have the ram boxes or the liner, which was more important. Chrysler is putting $$$ at the trademen option so it helps with the cost.

truckin88

double post, my fault...

stevebo

:hide: Only Will will know what I am talking about here..... :ROTF:

nylyon

I love the look of the new Dodge, congratulations. You are absolutely correct that a Diesel F250 requires commercial plates and you can not run on parkways, I can not, which is a shame because if I had the Excursion I would be able to (the Excursion weighs more than an F250!)

truckin88

thanks guys, let me add I went to about 20 dealers. Ford is a great truck, but their dealers are out of their minds, they think they have gold. For example they wanted to sell me a 2010 F150 4x4 STX 4.6L decent options, 10K miles, with an accident on the car fax (didn't know till after), for 500 more than I paid for the new ram. They wouldn't even deal on new, maybe they don't have to and people are willing to pay the $$$ for the trucks, but I am not going broke for a truck.There are other examples too, but you get the idea. What I really enjoyed is some dealers trying to kill me on the Honda trade in. You really have to research everything and know your prices and shop dealers. As 2 dealers told me, they make more $$$ on used, so they only deal so much.

Will get pics up soon.

can whlvr

its the same up here,its easier and cheaper to buy a new one,my second last truck was way over on the miles from a lease,they took it back and waved the over miles if i took a new one and i got all the factory goodies,i think you will be happy with the 1/2 tonne,i work every day in construction,pull trailers and one is a skid steer,it handles the job good,ya theres allways a time when we need a bigger payload,but for 95 percent of the time i think 300 plus hp will do the trick :thumbs2:

decksetter

Congrats on the new truck! I really like the Rambox, I think that would be nice to have.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

How much? or are you not telling? I'm asking because I've noticed the same thing about new VS used and may buy a Truck. I'm leaning towards a Toyota Tundra 4 door.

truckin88

I got 8K off sticker, my dad on a loaded silverado got 10K. mine is a quad cab, his is a ext cab. Honestly the best thing I can tell you is deal on both used and new of the same model and see where you get.. You might do ok with a used Tundra, around here no one wants them so they bottom out fast in value. I had a Nissan Titan, good truck, but for many reasons I'd only buy a truck from the big three, they do it right and while it might not be a huge deal, truck guys around the NE, just don't respect the jap trucks, it gets annoying. Sort of like mowing with a craftsman....

Here are the pics, BFG A/T's coming soon....

SAM_3370.jpg

SAM_3376.jpg

SAM_3374.jpg

SAM_3377.jpg

SAM_3378.jpg

SAM_3379.jpg

SAM_3380.jpg

AMC RULES

With the Ramboxes, what is the usuable space, inside dimensions of the bed turn out to be?

stevebo

I told big Jim and Uncle Bo you bought another Dodge. You know the reactions... It was good to see the old man laugh in his current condition. :) Good luck with it Will !

truckin88

With the Ramboxes, what is the usuable space, inside dimensions of the bed turn out to be?

Good question, the ram box ends where the wheel wells end on a non rambox model. All they did was enclose the rest of the side to make it usable/lockable, weather proof storage. So you could fit a 48" decked Wheel Horse in the back.

truckin88

I told big Jim and Uncle Bo you bought another Dodge. You know the reactions... It was good to see the old man laugh in his current condition. :) Good luck with it Will !

Hey man, this truck is awesome, tell the old man he was right the 6 speed makes the difference on the gas.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Thanks, 8-10K off sticker is a lot. I've been researching online for the past few days and I'm leaning towards the Rams now but I'm going to check out all the American trucks. The foreign trucks don't seem to have as many build options as the US trucks.

AMC RULES

Nice lookin' truck, still curious to see what your Dad got too.

truckin88

Next time I see him I will take a pic, he live 50 minutes away from us, might have all the parents over this weekend for mom's day, I'll get a pic then. His truck is alot more flashy, has chromed grill, wheels, bumpers, tow hooks etc, it was about 6K more, than this. one big reason I went dodge, is because I like the quad cab more than the suicide ext cab doors on ford and chevy, just a preference thing, since I wanted at least a 6.5' bed.

AMC RULES

:thumbs: :thumbs:

:thanks: