Sign in to follow this  
96 Wheelhorse

1996 520H

96 Wheelhorse

I have 1996 520H and it keeps blowing the 25 amp fuse. It did it a couple of times while mowing last summer but I would put in a new fuse and it would work fine for quite awhile. I was putting my mower deck back on the other day and it just quit running for no reason, so I checked the fuse and it was blown. I put a new fuse in and when I turned the key to start it the fuse blew. I checked the red wire from the starter all the way to the 3 fuses located under the hood and I had juice. I was wondering if I had a bad ignition switch, because just when I turn the key to start it the fuse blows. Has anybody experienced this problem ? Is there any way to test the switch to see if it's bad ? I don't want to purchase a switch if it's not going to solve the problem. Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

CRE1992

The reason its blowing the fuse is something is being grounded that shouldn't be, or there is a bad connection somewhere. Or something is touching something its not supposed to be touching, I don't think it is the switch.

varosd

I agree with Charles that most likley its a frayed or exposed wire or corrosion at one of the many grounds. There is a great and FREE "electrical dmystification manual" under the files section. The 520's have a lot of wires hence endless electrical issues. but nothing like the sound of that Onan running.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/category/26-electrical/

Oh yes, :WRS: and :wwp:

SAM58

Check the 9 Pin connector in front, below the battery, pull it apart and look for for a burnt connection.

That was my problem, I by passed the brunt wire with a jumper and my fuses stopped blowing.

Or like they said above, something is grounded.

IS it charging between 12 - 14 amps? If it is not charging good, probally a bare wire somewhere.

varosd

Mods/Admin: Can we move this topic to Electrical? Chuck AKA SOI and other experts will look for it there Thanks in advance!

Forest Road

I've seen couple of them with the 9 pin connector cut out. Use straight crimps or bullet connectors.

Sparky

Mods/Admin: Can we move this topic to Electrical? Chuck AKA SOI and other experts will look for it there Thanks in advance!

Aye aye sir! :ychain:

Mike..........

cheesegrader

Do you have a covered fuse block?

I had a similar problem, and had to replace the original open fuse block. Debris was getting in, and it would short out.

No problems (well, no fuse problems) since it was replaced.

gomer gump

i just had this same problem looked for 2 hrs found it one of the small nuts on the back of a dash guage was loose tightened it up tractor started no more blown fuse usually it,s an open ground a starter going bad will create the same symptoms also you can test the switch with a multi tester if you know how to use one or ask a friend that does as far as the 9 pin connectors i done away with them years ago got 5 520,s an rewired them all they work fine the pin connectors always got loose an caught on fire or smoked wire nuts an electric tape an wire crimper-cutters will do the job one wire not grounded will blow the fuse check for any bare wires or wires touching each other good luck electric is a pain in the a@@ just takes time to figure it out but you will eventually

96 Wheelhorse

Is it possible that it could be a bad solenoid on the starter ?

gomer gump

had one starter on a 520 that was completely burnt up inside but still started the motor . look through the hole in the air cleaner shroud ,remove the rubber hose turn keyand when starter engages check to see if it stays engaged when motor starts it should dis engage iif its bad it will stay engaged with the flywheeland make a grinding noise . also you may check the wires going to the pto switch some guys wire them up wrong it works as the kill switch and if these are wired incorrectly it will turn over but won,t start