Sign in to follow this  
JamesBe1

K482 Crankshaft

JamesBe1

Talked to my machine shop this morning. The crankshaft that I brought in for regrinding won't make it as it's too far out round.

After talking to the machinist, my options are to have it sent out for $150 for welding and regrinding or find another crankshaft to have him cut down.

I brought up the point that buying a used one is a gamble as it might not make spec either, but the machinist says it is unlikely unless it was one with a spun rod. Not sure about that, but I decided to look around the interwebs for a crankshaft. Of course, Kohler discontinued the crankshaft. Not sure that I would want to buy from then anyways.

I am a bit confused as to what to consider purchasing if I decide to gamble on a crankshaft. From the manual, I see 22 different variations of the crankshaft. Does anyone know about the interchangebabilty of the crankshafts? The one I am looking for (for a Wheel Horse D-180, K482S Spec 35222B), is PN 277912.

There are several cranks on ebay, but for different type of K482S's.

Can any experts lend a hand?

James

pfrederi

Different end users specified different cranks from Kohler. Usually the differences were in the length of the shaft and the size of the hole tapped into the end of it. I am not that familiar with 482s but in the KT series even the diameter of the PTO end could change. (JD used 1" shafts WH 1-1/8

I would be hesitant to get one other than from the correct spec# motor unless i could first measure the exposed shaft, keyway and tapped hole.

JamesBe1

Different end users specified different cranks from Kohler. Usually the differences were in the length of the shaft and the size of the hole tapped into the end of it. I am not that familiar with 482s but in the KT series even the diameter of the PTO end could change. (JD used 1" shafts WH 1-1/8

I would be hesitant to get one other than from the correct spec# motor unless i could first measure the exposed shaft, keyway and tapped hole.

Thanx Paul. I have been finding out the same thing.

I found a Kohler Crankshaft reference Manual online:

http://smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/kohler/crankshaft-reference.pdf

Perusing it shows how different all the specs are.

I think that the one I need Spec 277912 on page 3.8 will interchange with spec 277690-S on page 3.18

I would appreciate a different pair of eyes to look at it if you have a few minutes.

James

pfrederi

Should work James. 277690s is the crank from a WH D200. (Spec 53105A)

Nice find on the crankshaft manual.

JamesBe1

Did some more searching. Spec 277690-S was used on a Wheel Horse 20HP engine, and a couple of mowers by Heckendorn and Schweiss. All cranks references are discontinued.

Guess I'll probably have my crank send out for welding unless I get lucky somehow.

pfrederi

James I perused the JD Gravely and IH spec numbers for 532 engines. None of them used the type crank you need ...sorry

JamesBe1

Thanx Paul. Of course, there are no D200 cranks to be had on the net at the moment. Oh well.

You and others might find this of interest. I was looking up Heckendorn Mowers on the net as it has sorta a cool name.

Here is a page listing who makes what brands of mowers and tractors:

http://todaysmower.com/2011/riding-mower-brands/

pfrederi

At the rate the hydros seem to fail in D series there will probably be parts tractors/engines any day now. :)

JamesBe1

I checked the Kohler site. That crank was used on:

K523-53105 Wheel Horse 20HP

K582-36303 Heckendorn Mower

K582-36325 Heckendorn Mower

K582-36339 Heckendorn Mower

K582-36343 Heckendorn Mower

K582-36360 Schweiss Mower

K582-36362 Schweiss Mower

Ya know, it's really nice to have such handy access to information on the net. Not like the old days when you had to call around to different places and sometimes people would be able to look it up for you. 30 years ago, it would have taken me several weeks and lots of effort to get this much info.

At least I can now go right to the source of information on some items.

JamesBe1

At the rate the hydros seem to fail in D series there will probably be parts tractors/engines any day now. :)

Lol, at the rate I keep killing them too. Snapped off a bolt on the gear cover on my replacement engine. Then broke the easyout in the bolt. Took me hours of drilling and a now set of dull cobolt bits to clear it out. It's a little off center, but not into the case. I hope I got all of the easyout cleared out. Now I am waiting on a tap and die set to cut a larger bolt size into it. All I want is enough threads to securely hold a bolt in place (5/16?), and I'll be moving forward again.