kwalshy

520H Parking Brake Kno

kwalshy

Hey all,

Can anybody help me locate or sell me Toro part number 118860, the Knob-Parking Brake for my 520H?

I did some searching and apparently this part has been discontinued.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Kelly

I found that out a month or so ago no longer available, I need one, just hang on, we have a vendor here that is working on making new reproductions of them, he sent me a prototype last week, they will be nice like all of his work.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I've got no lathe skills, but wouldn't it be fairly easy for someone to turn some aluminum to replicate these? :scratchead:

The nylon, or plastic, whatever the factory used, just doesn't hold up long term...once you R&R them a couple times, they're trashed.

I'm just sayin'...there's gotta be a better way. :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

Forest Road

I think this is the one I ordered for my 520,

http://www.mcmaster.com/#control-handles/=gt3hwm

There was a fitting that went on the shaft and the handle could be rotated to any position. The handle was a bit long so we cut it. In the end I was a very nice fit.

• Like 1

kwalshy

okay, thanks. I'm interested in the prototype turning into reality, but I'll look into the McMaster Carr catalog as well. Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

smoreau

Gust give it a little more time and he will have them ready soon. He is just trying to get them wright first. they should look just like the original.

• Like 1

whtractors24
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2012 at 10:17 AM, Kelly said:

I found that out a month or so ago no longer available, I need one, just hang on, we have a vendor here that is working on making new reproductions of them, he sent me a prototype last week, they will be nice like all of his work.

anyone ever figure this out? need one.

• Like 1

k2wilson

I am also in need of a new one.......

• Like 1

Nightowl

Did Gust get the handles perfected for the 520h brake lever knob. I need one

Edited by Nightowl
forget i need one
  • Like 1

BobBelcher

I am in need of this as well. Does anyone have a picture of one? As mine was just missing and I have no idea what it's supposed to even look like. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Maybe check Glen Pettit in vendors section? He’s got a bunch of knobs etc. I got a replacement knob from him and it was top notch quality.

• Like 1

Kevin Bowley

Has anyone found a source for the parking brake knob? I have tried everythin I know to get the roll pin out and it wont budge. I have tried drilling it out but it jsut dulls the drill so I tried to find a 1/16" carbide drill without luck...not even sure it would stay on centerbefore walking over to the soft metal.  So...I have thought hard about cutting the rod off on the inside were it connects to the lever then hoping I can tack it back on...I brought a bunch of pictures to a local machine shop and he could make one but 200.00 bucks...which is reasonable considering the labor to setup the CNC, lathe, etc.  He can make it out of stainless steel, bearing brass etc which would look nice for my full restore.  However, my goal is to keep it as close to exactly original as possible.  any thoughts?  and..STTUPPID DESIGN!

• Like 1

Southern_Secret

@kbowley There is a member on here @A-Z Tractor that should be able to fix you up!

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
On 4/30/2020 at 9:56 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

Maybe check Glen Pettit in vendors section? He’s got a bunch of knobs etc. I got a replacement knob from him and it was top notch quality.

Glen Pettit was bought out by Lowell at “Wheel Horse Parts and More”, who is in our classified section under vendors.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor

Check this thread.

• Like 3

kwalshy

:thumbs:yup, go check out K&B Parts.  I can vouch for Brian's parts.  Top notch and a pleasure to deal with.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

76c12091520h

20201217_204727[1].jpg

20201219_184557[1].jpg

20200425_002159[1].jpg

• Excellent 2

Kevin Bowley

Thank you everyone!  Brian, that looks very nice!  I will give you a call to order that part and maybe a few other things.  Also, I really like the color of that restored 312 on your profile.  Looks great.  Here is the beast that I have decided to restore to a nice-looking work machine. I am removing all the panels, engine shrouds, decals and rusty fasteners for a redo.  Not getting into stripping to frame but just getting a refresh for many more years of service.  Excellent machine which I use for plowing (I have a 56" D-Series blade on the sector but swap to the 48 for very heavy snow), grading my 3/10 long drive and other duties. I bought it new in '95 and it has been incredibly reliable, and still is.  I also have a few other Horses as well.

With the Craftsman 24x12x12 rear tires/wheels I tried out but decided against.

IMG_20211020_190143593 copy web.jpg

With the "big blade"

520-H with 60 plow-web.jpg

Color matching...no go...Krylon Farm and Implement IH Red is perfect.  The color on the piece of metal at the bottom of the hood is Toro "New Red".  I think my '95 is the old "candy red".  1995 was the switch over year and some early ones got the old red.  Since I am not painting the frame or implements I don't want to much of a shift.  The Rustoleum Regal Red was also very close, but the Kylon has a better refraction and gloss as well as better lay down.

IMG_20211122_014841959_HDR copy.jpg

Edited by kbowley
  • Like 3

JCM

Hi Kevin, Jim here in N.Berwick @JCM  I have had you sharpen blades for my Mower decks a few times. Good to see you back on here. Check out the Meet & Greet info here under Red Square herd in September in N Berwick love to see your tractors there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kevin Bowley
11 minutes ago, JCM said:

Hi Kevin, Jim here in N.Berwick @JCM  I have had you sharpen blades for my Mower decks a few times. Good to see you back on here. Check out the Meet & Greet info here under Red Square herd in September in N Berwick love to see your tractors there.

Excellent, I had no Idea. I will definitely go if I dont forget...gonna put a reminder on my calendar.  Do you when it is held, where?

• Like 1

Kevin Bowley

Reminder set :techie-eureka:

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

JCM

PM  Sent

• Like 1

Sparky
2 hours ago, kbowley said:

Excellent, I had no Idea. I will definitely go if I dont forget...gonna put a reminder on my calendar.  Do you when it is held, where?

It’s in a creepy neighborhood… when I go I keep my truck locked up all the time:lol: 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

JCM

Don't scare him away @Sparky , he's a longtime member, Besides your just an Admin on here, no one important.   :occasion-xmas:    :ROTF:

• Haha 3

Kevin Bowley
On 1/28/2022 at 9:24 PM, 76c12091520h said:

20201217_204727[1].jpg

20201219_184557[1].jpg

20200425_002159[1].jpg

Big shout out to Brian for my parking brake knob.  It is excellent quality and preettty.  Had one ^*)%$&)F$@# of a time getting the old one off though!

Edited by kbowley
  • Excellent 2