Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorse_of_course

OT: Timing belt replacement - replace tensioner?

WheelHorse_of_course

Hey Folks,

I have to replace the water pump on my 2000 with the Suzuki EFI engine. Since this engine has a timing belt, now is the time to replace that as well. There is a timing belt tensioner as well. The manual makes no comment about if/when the tensioner should be replaced.

Does anyone have an opinion, perhaps based on standard procedure on other engines?

Many thanks

squonk

If it's not a million bucks change it. You do not want anything that could cause that timing belt to come loose or break happen.

smoreau

I do auto repair for a living and Car Quest has A nice kit that comes with all the pulleys and tensioner for a timing belt. When ever possible we replace all idlers and tension device as most engines today are interference engines. witch means that if the belt brakes or strips, it will do valve damage to the head and or pistons. So I recommend Replace it!

AMC RULES

Cheap insurance really. :twocents-twocents:

bowtiebutler956

I agree with Scott, I would get the timing belt kit, I've learned my lesson the hard way on a little Mitsubishi years ago. I always buy the kit now. Orielly's sells them as well. :twocents-02cents:

Matt :flags-texas:

WheelHorse_of_course

Many thanks folks.

Rolf

6wheeler

Scott is right. An ounce of measure is worth an ounce of cure. You're in there, why not replace it? Instead you'll be in the middle of nowhere when it goes down. And then? You look at mama and say "what the"? Then it hits ya, I shoulda changed it when I was in there. Dammit! Do it! Not to get off topic. But, Scott is your Carquest starting to S$%K like mine? Alot of crappy parts......