Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Tinnitus

Rollerman

About 3 weeks ago my left ear starting ringing, almost like the noise a cicada bug makes on a hot summer day...but a higher pitch.

This started shortly after my Dr switched up my BP meds, but he believes it's unrelated.

Yesterday I went in for a "proper" hearing test at an audiologist, as the hearing Dr said...loud music, loud equipment over the years has done it's damage.

I wear hearing protection at work, but there's no escapeing the hig frequency vibes on the bigger rollers.

With the vibraters hammering away it feels like your ears are just floating around on the side of your head.

Even though my hearing over all is pretty good there is a significant drop in what I can pick up around 4000HZ.

She said the ringing in my ear (tinnitus) may settle down some in time, but is likely permanent & I will have to learn to deal with it, contol my BP, watch my caffien & salt intake.

She has given me the number of another audiologist in South Bend that does tinnitus therapy...basically will help train me to not focus on it.

Any other members here at RS deal with tinnitus, have any tips or tricks.

nylyon

While I have never gone to the doctor for it, I have had the high pitched ringing in my ears for years too. After a while I learned how to ignore it (sort of like when my wife talks) and it's not as bothersome.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I've had it for 6-8 years. It can be caused by different medications also and "may" go away over time after you changing certain meds. I've noticed if I keep a radio or TV on low all the time I tend to notice it less. Mine definitely wasn't caused by long term exposure to loud noise (or short term for that matter). There is a drug called Campral for treating alcoholism that's has showed promise in in treating Tinnitus in Brazil as an off label use. I read there are studies going on in the USA for Tinnitus treatment with Campral. Maybe I'll have another Doctor give me a script for Campral to try it out. I don't drink so it won't bother me if I get the urge to drink less from Campral.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

almost like the noise a cicada bug makes on a hot summer day...but a higher pitch.

Your description of a higher pitched cicada bug is dead on. When it first started for me I kept thinking there were a lot of cicada's that year LOL . One of the leading causes of Tinnitus is high blood pressure. If you're able to lower your blood pressure you may get lucky and it may go away after a while.

AMC RULES

The ringing in my ears comes and goes, depending on what time of the month it is. :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

Rollerman

Doc....I've been on BP meds almost 10 years now & have had a light ringing in my ears at least that long too....like a faint cricket noise.

It was after a visit to my regular Dr for an annual checkup he switched my meds that I have this loud cicada like noise in my left ear.

Previously I was on 3 generics, he put me on med called "Tribenzor" that in his word is pretty much one pill combineing the three generics.

It was shortly after that visit I started noticeing the higher pitched ring.

I went in Monday for another visit to have him look into my ear...my BP was 90/60...the lowest it's ever been.

I guess I'll ride it out & see if anything changes, if not all give the other audiologist a try.

bowtiebutler956

My ears are ringing right now Craig. :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

varosd

I’m retired military with tinnitus. you say only on the left? is the high freq hearing loss only on the left also? As a medico, you need to make sure there isn’t an acoustic neuroma that can cause unilateral hearing loss and tinnitus. I mean, if a 50 cal went off in your left ear or a compressor was always on your left, then o.k.

also you can also have Menieres disease if there is vertigo with the tinnitus/hearing loss

Rollerman

I’m retired military with tinnitus. you say only on the left? is the high freq hearing loss only on the left also? As a medico, you need to make sure there isn’t an acoustic neuroma that can cause unilateral hearing loss and tinnitus. I mean, if a 50 cal went off in your left ear or a compressor was always on your left, then o.k.

also you can also have Menieres disease if there is vertigo with the tinnitus/hearing loss

The audiologist I visited yesterday didn't feel that was the case.

Both ears are down in the 4000HZ range...the left being a little worse.

No vertigo either.

AMC RULES

My ears are ringing right now Craig. :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

:eusa-doh: Ditto Matt, what's today's date? :scratchead: Must be a full moon tonight. :ROTF:

Sparky

Sorry pal, cant help ya....but if your vision is crapping out, your lactose intolerant, loosing your hair or your son has grown taller than you :eusa-doh: I'm yer guy :rolleyes: .

Mike..........

Trouty56

I've had really bad tinnitus ever since a ZZ Top concert in my 20's. I stood too close to the tower speakers I guess. Walked out of the concert with ears ringing and they never stopped. I was at a concert about every weekend there for a couple years. I hear it more when I think about it....like now. Mine is a real high pitch squeal. Oh yeah....mine is in stereo....both ears.

Duff

Yup - tinnitus is for real. In addition to producing concerts for about 40 years and being exposed to massive sound towers, I also played in a rock band for about a dozen or so years. Screaming guitars, thundering bass (me) and a drummer in my left ear on stage all took their toll. Me and the crickets are constant companions now. Most of the time I'm not consciously aware its there, but it always is. As far as I know there's no cure, just a few ways to manage the condition, more or less.

Duff :thumbs:

refracman

Ive had it for years and only in the right ear, cant even remember when it started. Doc said it was cause when I had a old 22 rim fire on me in my teens and them all the loud music didnt help none, was a security gaurd at the local arena for 2 years in my early 20's and now working in steel mills. They don't hold much hope for me keeping my hearing in the right for much longer as the ringing gets less so does my hearing and the left ain't far behind.

I've been workin on my "whats that sonny" and the confused look at the wife, :?

But it does suck when ya can't hear people talk, now I know why my gramps was telling me to look at him when I talked to him.

546cowboy

There is an ad on TV for an over the counter medicine for ringing in the ears. Other than that I'd say you all are starting to worry about things women worry about and go to the doctor for a useless diagnosis. COWBOY UP BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VinsRJ

Yup - tinnitus is for real. In addition to producing concerts for about 40 years and being exposed to massive sound towers, I also played in a rock band for about a dozen or so years. Screaming guitars, thundering bass (me) and a drummer in my left ear on stage all took their toll. Me and the crickets are constant companions now. Most of the time I'm not consciously aware its there, but it always is. As far as I know there's no cure, just a few ways to manage the condition, more or less.

Duff :thumbs:

Duff, then you must know that Paul Gilbert (Racer X / DamYakees) suffers from tinnitus. Thats why he always wears his head phones on stage. He's one for the greatest IMO!

Hydro

I've had it for about three years now and I think blood pressure was what triggered it. Some days it seems louder than others but it's always there and I guess will stay with me as long as I am on the top side of the sod. :popcorn: