Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Coolest Non Wheel Horse purchase in long time

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

I had to stop at our local Xtra Mart for the usual milk and bread routine and when I got out of my car I saw a 1975 Yamaha DT 175 strapped into the bed of a pickup. I walked over and was admiring the bike ( I had one...) when the owner walked out and started talking to me about how he had just bought it off of Craigslist and was going to restore it. It was dark outside and when I walked over to see the other side I see the following laying in the bed. I go :o and start looking it over.... the guy asks if I want to buy it and I say how much... he says $75 and I counter with $50... he says OK and we stuck it in the trunk of my Buick. It has a Briggs and its cool as heck... I can't wait to figure out what it is and get it running. :auto-dirtbike:

post-435-0-81276100-1331005431_thumb.jpg

Maybe a Vanguard 20 should go in it? :eusa-think:

• Like 1

stevebo

I had a 1975 Honda Elsinoire MR50 growing up. My brother still as it. Have to say we beat the hell out of it but it still runs. My neighbor had a Chebee trail bike that looked like the one you bought. Good luck with it! Well worth $50. Does it run?

Docwheelhorse

Didn't even try and start it.... Its a Briggs 3.5.... I will replace it with a 5 if needed or I can rebuild these motors with my eyes closed..... or maybe even one of the Briggs Raptor go cart motors..... I :wub: my Briggs motors...... It will run again, I will promise that!

Tony

can whlvr

cool and brings back memories of my buddies bike just like that,we beat that thing to heck and back and it would just keep on running

squonk

Speaking of old Briggs motors. I have my Grandfather's old tiller here. My brother is / was using it. It started throwing belts so he parked it. It's a 5 hp out of the early 60's. I'm almost positive it never had any work done on the motor like points and condenser. Outside of oil changes, plugs and an air filter every 10 yrs. that's it. I need the special reverse idler pulley set up and it's kind of unusual. so I'm on the hunt. I would really like to fix it because it was my Grandpa's. But If I cant I'll sell the motor. The gas in the tank REAKS!! It has sat for 2 yrs. now and it stars on 4 pulls!!! :banana-wrench:

DSCF1122.jpg

DSCF1128.jpg

Jake Kuhn

Make it a wheel horse theme. One time when I was reading craigslist a couple years ago someone had a square seat,wheel horse foot rests and painted it red with white wheels. Jake

grnlark

That thing is just downright cool. Reminds me of the Rupp you had growing up.

stevebo

Tony,

I say paint it up red and bring it to the show. I am sure we... :hide: . I mean the kids would love to ride it around in the field :banana-tux: .

racinfool40

Speaking of Wheel Horse theme..I did this one for my boys for Christmas and then picked up this Little Honda back in January..

005-4.jpg

002-14.jpg

Ken B

Very cool Tony. I have had many a dirt bike thru the yrs. I started out with a 1976 Honda Z-50 back in 1980 and by 92 I was on a Honda CR 250. Talk about an adrenaline rush! A few yrs. back I bought an older Rupp Scramber to restore. Even with my 190 pounds on it that thing flew! Lots of fun.

Docwheelhorse

Hi All--

Hey Matt... the Rupp is still locked up in my old mans shed since I got caught and then forbidden to ever ride it again. Its been there since approximately 1988..... too bad its a 1976 Rupp Roadster and is worth about a grand just as it is.

Thise are some cool rides you guys have built ./ owned.... and I have been thinking about bringing it to the show----until I think about getting hollered at by Bill and company for "driving it like I stole it..."

Lol

Tony

Sparky

So this summer when I take the Kawi Vulcan out you wanna tag along :grin: .

Cool looking ride! Are the footpedals ridgid? I had one as a kid and quicly learned to not take corners to fast cause the footpegs would dig into the dirt like a...tent stake...and you can imagine what happened next :eusa-doh: .

Mike.............

Don1977

I build mine before I had a Wheel Horse. This has been upgraded a few times. The last time with a 100 cc Hodaka Super Rat racing engine. I had it to pull the front wheel at 75 MPH when I hit 5 gear.

Imgp0068.jpg

Imgp0070.jpg

Rollerman

Back when I was to young to ride, the next door neighbor was a Rupp dealer....(Action Cycle of Elkhart,IN)

His two daughters were about 10 years older than I was & would make laps on the Rupp mini bikes around his yard.

Talk about tormenting the neighbor kid!

The neighbor guy would occasionally give me a ride in a mini four wheeled 2 seat dune buggy thing.

Eventully I had my own mini bike...not a Rupp, something pretty basic.

It had the scrub brake on the back tire & can remember flying through the other neighbors pine trees that bordered the yard if I rode it on wet grass.

Some nice mini bikes in this thread!

Tony looks like a fun project.

Don......I think your nuts!

sorekiwi

Don......I think your nuts!

Me too!!