Sign in to follow this  
Wheel-N-It

Be Honest, Am I Behind The Times of New Ways To Do Business?

Wheel-N-It

OK, I called the local Dealer and asked him if he had a hydro filter for my 417. He asked me for the part number. I didn't have it, I thought that was part of the dealer service. He was nice and asked me to use the Master Parts Viewer to get the part number and then call him, give him the part number, then he will order the part. I was nice in return and told im I would, told him thank you for his help, and told him I would call him back.

Move forward in time about 60seconds. I'm sitting at my desk thinking " What was that all about?"

I mean, I'm not a dunce, I can look stuff up, I did work (in the parts dept) at a Buick/GMC Truck Dealer

when I was in High School. I made it my mission to commit to memory all the part numbers for basic maintenance items for various cars and trucks ( example: FILTERS). Did I just make myself clear here???

Anyway, after looking up the part number in the Master Viewer (thank you redsquare. com) I called my friend at the local NAPA store to see if he could do a cross reference. I gave him the filter number, then also gave him the old number that had been replaced by the new number (can't have too many numbers), and low and behold the new number was an oil filter, and the old number was a hydro filter. My friend researched his discovery and of course advised me to go with the old number cross referance as it was a hydro filter built without a check valve as it should have been.

So without gettin too long winded, If I had done the dealer work of looking up the part number, then called him with the part number, not only would I have done his lookup, and paid full retail, too, in the end I would have ended up with an oil filter screwed onto my hydro unit!

So my questions for ya'll are;

Is this some other kind of a "New Normal" way of conducting business that I have not been informed of? (you know like our New Normal Economy) whatever that means.............

If by the Grace of The Good Lord this is not normal, where can I (after looking up the part numbers myself) buy OEM WheelHorse parts at a discount rate and have them shipped to my home address?

Please tell me I am not asking for too much :techie-typing:

Van

Forest Road

I typically lookup all my own stuff. Often times on my dealers computer. The last hydro filter I purchased was toro oem.

chris hall

not asking too much. i deal with people and businesses like this on a daliy bases.you have to spoon feed the people all the info and then then tell you they dont have it but, they can order it. ebay has became my best friend.

Sparky

I've never been asked by a dealer to look up a part number myself but I always make every effort to have the model# off the machine to make his job easier.

Mike..........

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I don't think your asking to much Van, one would think that if you have to do all your own footwork you should get a discounted price, but unfortunately this world we live in does'nt always do things the way it should, but what else is new. Matt

Wheel-N-It

I've never been asked by a dealer to look up a part number myself but I always make every effort to have the model# off the machine to make his job easier.

Mike..........

As it should be Mike. I had all that info. I even checked the numbers with a magnifying glass to make sure I had THE right numbers. He did not want any of my information. And I like the guy too. If he needed something from me and I could give it to him, I would, no questions asked. But this I do not understand..............................

Sparky

Time to find a new dealer. I used to use a local guy just 6 miles away but he and his staff were not very friendly and if you did not have a model# they wouldnt help you....period. I found a dealer farther from home but closer to work and they are great. Plenty of times the guy behind the counter will swivel the monitor around so he and I can both see the screen to discuss what I'm after for parts.

They still offer nice old fashioned customer service so they get all my business. Plus the service manager lets me stroll thru his junkpile if I ask. Thats priceless!!

Mike..........

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Maybe they simply see it as giving their service work away. :dunno:

I'm not saying I agree with how they are now doing business, just that I understand times are hard everywhere you go these days. :twocents-twocents:

smoreau

Time to find a new dealer. I used to use a local guy just 6 miles away but he and his staff were not very friendly and if you did not have a model# they wouldnt help you....period. I found a dealer farther from home but closer to work and they are great. Plenty of times the guy behind the counter will swivel the monitor around so he and I can both see the screen to discuss what I'm after for parts.

They still offer nice old fashioned customer service so they get all my business. Plus the service manager lets me stroll thru his junkpile if I ask. Thats priceless!!

Mike..........

I agree 100% My local dealer looks up stuff for me all the time, 1/2 of the time I don't have the model # ether.

bowtieguy

I used to have a Toro dealer that was a "mom & pop" shop....mom was the parts mgr and would NOT look up anything....needless to say, they are not in business today!

But the day she ran me out of the sales lot was the last time I dealt with her...she said nobody was allowed to look at mowers unless someone was with them....guess she thought I'd steal the part off of a WH!...when they closed I got a listing of their WH parts inventory thinking I might buy it...when I asked what they wanted for all of it, she gave me a print out...everything was priced a full retail price (about 3 grand)....and they wouldn't take a dime less....last I heard, they hauled it all home...probably trashed by now.

The guy that bought the Toro dealship is about 35 and goes out of his way to help customers...different generation, huh?...he even stocks the famous WH boot now!

Kingwood990

Mike..........

Well if we could Mike we would find a different dealer. This is the only dealer in the area. I beleive that Van's 312-8 came from this dealer as has my 244-H. They have treated me and my dad well in the past when we come in for parts but there system is a little strange. I understand that the model and part numbers do help the guy behind the counter but they should also be able to look up the number/part as well.

Now the green and yellow dealer I go to they go out of there way every time I step in the store. Maybe because I have spent more money there than I every have on the WH.

BOWTIE

HELLO KINGSWOOD, I SOLD WIX FILTER FOR 15-20 YEARS. IT LOOKS LIKE THEY MAKE THE FILTER. I DON'T KNOW WHAT YEAR TRACTOR YOU HAVE. TAKE YOUR WH NUMBER AND CROSS IT TO WIX(NAPA). IF YOU CAN CROSS A OEM NUMBER YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO. I HAVE USED THEM ON MY 1990 416H FOR YEARS. YOU CAN CALL WIX IF NEED BE.

BOWIE IN OHIO

Kingwood990

HELLO KINGSWOOD, I SOLD WIX FILTER FOR 15-20 YEARS. IT LOOKS LIKE THEY MAKE THE FILTER. I DON'T KNOW WHAT YEAR TRACTOR YOU HAVE. TAKE YOUR WH NUMBER AND CROSS IT TO WIX(NAPA). IF YOU CAN CROSS A OEM NUMBER YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO. I HAVE USED THEM ON MY 1990 416H FOR YEARS. YOU CAN CALL WIX IF NEED BE.

BOWIE IN OHIO

I am going to have to try this Bowie. As much as I like giving my local dealer business I am going to have to try this. I am sure Van will be glad to hear this as well.

JamesBe1

The last time I went into my local dealer, I told them that I needed an air filter for my Wheel Horse C-120 that had a Kohler K301 on it. He said that they would have to order it, and it would be about $73.00. After I got done laughing (he wasn't to happy with that), I told him thanks but no thanks, and laughed my way out the door. I have never been back since, and I have no intention of them ever making another cent off of me. I went home and order 3 air filters off of ebay for $15.00.

Maybe the guy was trying to rip me off, or maybe the guy was just mistaken. Either way, I don't (or try not to) do business with that level of incompetence.

Martin

i guess not all dealers are created equal. in town i have toro and napa, always will go out of their way to help. but, i always try to have part numbers handy, not only does it make the whole ordering thing go easier, but i feel better knowing im actually ordering something i want, and not waiting 2-3 days for something to come in thats not the right part. the dealer appreciates that as well as im not wasting their time with getting a part they might not sell right away. i live in a small town and we have a small dealer, he will get wh stuff for me, im probably the only one in town that gets the old stuff, so i try to make it easier for him and myself.

i deal with the local napa the same way. known these guys for years, bought a lot of stuff through them, they have no problem looking up numbers for me, but i always go in there, or call them, with part numbers in hand. just takes less time, and once again, i know that im getting what i need.

i find that usually all the resources i need to find part numbers are online anyway, and it only takes a few minutes of my time to get them.

and rs is a great place to find pn's as well......

leeave96

If you have a good dealer, absolutely support them. In my neck of the woods, there ain't no dealers of anything that want to go deeper than "we got on the shelf - want to buy it" else things are going to get difficult. To ask these guys to dig a little deeper OR just have some basic product knowledge is an offense.

I bought a fuel pump this past weekend from a dealer. I saw the fuel pump I wanted on his shelf, but he argued with me that before he would SELL me the fuel pump, I had to not only tell him the engine model/spec number, but the make and model of the tractor. So I played along and gave him the info and he went to "look-up" the part. He said the fuel pump I wanted wouldn't work - I needed a Kohler specific fuel pump. We are talking about a vacuum pump. Vacuum hose in, fuel hose in, fuel hose out. Pretty simple pump - I've changed several of these over the years. Finally the older gentleman that DOES know his stuff walked by and asked what was going on, saw my need and the fuel pump that I wanted from the get-go and said - "yea, that's the one, it will work fine". Paid my money and left.

I get sick of fussing with these dealers and so I either go with part number in hand, a good idea of what I need or if I got time, order it online. You can browse online forever and there's no hassle for doing so or asking the price.

You did good.

Bill

refracman

Locally I have both types of dealers. The one, is a old WH dealer and now is a JD dealer, although more than nice when you go in, if you don't have a part # they don't have the time. The other is a Toro dealer and will help out anyway they can and know what parts go where.

Same with the NAPA shops one is numbers only and the other will get the right part for you if he has to beat the right info outta you to help you. :eusa-doh:

chris hall

if it's a filter napa can cross it most of the time. or do like i do use napa prolink at work then buy it cheaper somewhere else. good luck!!!!

CasualObserver

I'm totally on board with the find a new dealer idea. There are probably more resources in your area than you realize. They don't have to be a Toro dealer selling all Toro equipment. Many regular small engine and mower maintenance shops are listed as parts dealers. Check Toro.com for a listing around your zip code.

Personally, I'd also lodge a complaint with Toro for the poor service. You're not asking for parts for an RJ or something...it's a hydro filter. You shouldn't have to know the part number. That's their job.

Prater

The WIX site has a cross reference you can use also. WIX probably makes about 80% of the OEM filters that get stamped with someone elses name on them anyways.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp

Rollerman

My local dealer is great, found some great deals in the "boneyard" too.

It always makes things easier for them if you do your homework ahead of time & have a part number ready.

Many dealers carry multiple brands, product lines & the "old timer" that knew all the WH part numbers by heart is probably retired too.

c161rat

These guys are right around the corner from me. They used to be a WH dealer and still have stock. Everything I have ever needed they had or knew where to get it. Never had to look up a part # either. They ship nationwide so give them a try http://www.sohars.com/

rmaynard

There is one word to describe the dealer's action, LAZY.

fourwheels0

well i have a "lazy" WH dealer near me too. i don't deal with them anymore lol.

unfortunately it has become the norm for a lot of the world. "get someone else to do most of the work for me" and still get a paycheck.

Wheel-N-It

Well, this was an interesting mix of responses. I sincerely thank each and everyone for your feedback.

Now that I have the Master Parts Viewer at hand, I will learn learn as much as I can regarding my 312 and 417.

If the times and ways of inquiring about a WheelHorse part are changing, then the ways of purchasing the part will have to change also. Good example is this hydro filter. If I have to go through all the motions of looking up the part number (keep in mind the rresponsibility of the correct number is now the buyers), then I'll be darned if I am going to pay full retail up front for the part, and when it does come in (if it has to be ordered) drive 30 miles to go get it (with gas at nearly $4 per gallon).

On the other hand if I had called my dealer, told him who I was, and recieved a good customer service response like " Hi Van, How are you today and how may I help you?", then then I would have gladly paid the full retail, and probably loaded the 417 in my trailer and towed it over there to show the dealer what I had. And then who knows where it would have gone from there. I mean, I just spend about $260 dollars a couple of months ago there for parts for the 312. I told him then I was looking for another WheelHorse, and if he got his hands on one to let me know and I would buy it from him. He knows I am willing to spend money with him.

I am doing everything I can to do my part as his good customer, his part is his. And if by some strange reason he reads this, I pray he does not take it as anything of malice. I believe having a sucessful local business means you have to give good, friendly, helpful customer service. Treat me good, and he could have me buying another WheelHorse from him this year. Surely he will get his hands on one. But on the other hand (and there is always another hand) give me what I got yesterday, and the rules change. If I have to do all the work, then I may have to buy from another source, thats my job playing by these new rules. The old saying "You can't have your cake and eat it too" applies here just like it does everywhere else. _

OK, Gentlemen, lesson learned, time to move on. Ya'll have a great day! See you on the square IOI

Van