Sign in to follow this  
whfan74

On to the next one.............701

buckrancher

Scott you can get it at fastinal stores it's not cheap but it will take over 400 degree's no problem

Brian

Martin

the bondo will take the 400 too brian, done it a few times now and good results each time...... :thumbs:

most powders only need 15 min. at 375 so you could get away with slightly less than the 400. i looked at the lab metal, the cost is what made me decide against it. ive only tried the version that i posted earlier in this thread though.....

Martin

scott, i feel your pain on the hood. looking at your first pic

701.jpg

the hood is typical of what ive been dealing with on the 1057. not only does the pitting make the powdercoated surface look bumpy, im finding that even if you blast the metal really good, where the rust was in the metal 'gasses' through the paint as it curing. it leaves really small little bubbles in the paint. the filler is working, but its a bunch of work to get right, and often im finding a second coat of powder is needed to get the surface to smooth out somewhat. im still learning, and its a steep curve. been working on my hood part time for the last week to get it ready to paint. i learned with the seat pan, that even when you think its good enough, something will come through that i missed, maybe a scratch in the metal that rusted over years and had pitting. it all shows through. makes it difficult going from just filler and doing topcoat.

whfan74

Thanks guys for the info. I am at a standstill with this one. Changed gears and am trying to get a bunch of things ready for the Mentone Swap Meet to sell.

Unfortunately I will not be meeting my March 30th deadline for our first show. Looks like the new deadline will be for the PA show. We better get moving on this pretty soon or I will run out of time once again.

@Brian......I saw that stuff when I was in Fastenal a couple months ago and had a small conversation with the guy about it. You are right it isn't cheap but I might just have to pick some up and give it a try.

Thanks again guys!

To be continued...............

whfan74

Still no progress. :laughing-rofl: Hoping to get wrenching again on it once the Mentone Swap Meet has concluded. It is frustrating as it has been sitting under a sheet for quite a while now. Will probably get back to working on the tractor and try and figure out on how to get that hood looking a little more presentable.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice. The PA show will be here before I know it. Hopefully we will have it with us and we won't be too embarrassed to show it.

Martin

scott,

hang in there man, im not sure how bad your hood is, maybe just leave it as is for a while. just get it back together,enjoy the tractor and try and ignore the bad areas...........

if you read between the lines, im trying to convince myself of the same. got my hood done today, as i mentioned in the pm earlier today its a big thumbs down. i guess thats being a little harsh, because in the pics that ive taken with it on the tractor it doesnt look half bad..... until you get up close. i spent a heap of time on mine and im still not happy wth it. maybe i will just drive around with a blanket on it. i have a few ideas on how to 'disguise' it, so im going to toss them around. its not going to stop me from finishing it one bit, i just got to accept the fact that because i chose to powdercoat it, its never going to look A1.......

we are all dealing with the effects of time and weather here, and when you choose to powdercoat its just that much harder to be satisfied with the final product. if only there was an easier way to get the metal as good as new before painting. :angry-banghead:

whfan74

Well finally blew off some of the dust on the sheets that were covering up the 701 tonight. Spent some time trying to get a little progress done. Brand new tri-ribs were placed on the front and I am waiting to pick up tubes tomorrow for the back. After the tubes are installed a coat or two of Miller's tire paint will go on the ags to help clean them up.

Finishing a few things up on the motor before it get's a coat of paint. It is much closer to getting back on it's own feet and moving under it's own power. A lot of little things need to be done still. Need to get going on it and get it done as my son's 500 Special will be coming back from the powder coater within the next week.

Here is how I left it tonight.............

post-919-0-80072300-1345608645.jpg

Martin

scott, almost forgot about this thread. glad you are back on it....

looking forward to some more updates..... :thumbs:

and another in the works for your son? is it :wh: xmas around here? :ychain::icecream::woohoo:

im guessing your planning on having both done for the show?

Ken B

Looking good Scott, I'm looking forward to seeing it at the big show if you decide to go. :)

whfan74

I must admit that I am a little embarrassed to bring this thread back to the top. Was hoping that it would have been done by now. But unfortunately this thing called life get's in the way of the hobby sometimes. :)

Martin.....you are much more ambitious than me. Plus your Horses are only out your door and in your garage. Mine are across town, so those nights that I can't sleep and could be working on one of them, I have to count sheep instead! :(

Thanks Ken.....we actually talked about the possibility of heading back out next year to the show. Would be fun since we have a 401 and a 701.

kpinnc

I must admit that I am a little embarrassed to bring this thread back to the top. Was hoping that it would have been done by now.

Heck, I have tractors I've been "restoring" for years. Don't feel bad! :)

The speed of your other restores made up for this one, and then some.

whfan74

Thanks Kevin! I had high hopes of having it at shows this summer and it never came to be. It felt really good sitting down and tinkering with it last night. Thankfully nothing was lost while it sat idle for a while. The last things to do on it are the one's that seem very simple but usually end up taking the most time. One way or another we will get it done!

whfan74

Things are coming along nicely. Just need to finish up the motor and get it placed on the tractor, run wires, place decals, install dash, clean up steering wheel, rear lift cable, and I am sure some other small things that I am forgetting.

Thankfully the 500 Special that I am doing for my boy was pushed back. Might have that back by the end of the week now. Dad picked up the frame for it today but waiting on the rest. Just had to throw a set of rear weights that I just picked up on the pile to be blasted and coated as well!

whfan74

Slowly but surely I am making a little progress at a time. Maybe I should load it up in the truck and bring it home so I can head out each evening and give it a little attention.

Today I spent some time cleaning and painting the back tires with Miller's tire paint. They cleaned up real nice.....couldn't have them looking rough with the brand new tri ribs on the front. Put lug nuts on the back, I know not original but I am not complaining. Threw on a couple of decals and put the first coat of white paint on the front "wheel horse" emblem. Sanded and sanded and then sanded some more on the spokes for the steering wheel. Have it just about ready for primer. Nice to have it permanently off the jack stands.

Unfortunately I forgot to dust off the hood before the pic...........rookie mistake! :)

The engine is almost completely cleaned and just about ready for primer.

Set back is that the gun in the sandblast cabinet bit the dust........literally. Need a new one soon. Have a few small parts that I am needing to get cleaned up.

Also worked on prepping the tires for my son's 500 Special. Unfortunately it is still not powdercoated.......was told it would be 2 weeks......well we are now at 4 1/2 weeks and I only have the frame back. A little frustrating, but I can't complain with the price so it all evens out.

Well here is the latest picture...........

701Closer.jpg

And here is what she looked like the day I brought it home...........hopefully is starting to look a little better. :)

701.jpg

Martin

Bring it home Scott. Even if you just bring some of it home and get an hour here or there. It all helps and all those hours add up after a while, and then you're done......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry M

I must admit that I am a little embarrassed to bring this thread back to the top. Was hoping that it would have been done by now.

Heck, I have tractors I've been "restoring" for years. Don't feel bad! :)

The speed of your other restores made up for this one, and then some.

I don't fell so bad now about the slow progress of working on my 606. Although a 701 is a nice project worth the wait.

whfan74

Bring it home Scott. Even if you just bring some of it home and get an hour here or there. It all helps and all those hours add up after a while, and then you're done......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true......unfortunately everything that is left now is stuff that needs to be or should I say should be done over in the barn. Dad is taking care of the motor.....hopefully he gets it done before he heads out on vacation next weekend. Will be trying to make a good push this week. Barn is just about clean and ready for the show. Just need to get the lighted sign hung. Waiting on the brackets to come back finished from a good friend. Of course in the middle of all of this the 500 Special will probably be ready finally for pick up. Was hoping to get my wife's tractor torn apart and ready for the call...........would be a good time to swap a freshly powdercoated one for one that needs to be done. Who knows I might get ambitious!

HorseFixer

Looks good Scotty, Question? When your pwdr coater did your rims are they lienen beige and if so how is the match and what does yer guy use?

Thanks ~Duke

Jake Kuhn

Looks really good scott! :bow-blue:

Terry M

Forgot to say ....looks good scott, Looks like it'll be done soon! :handgestures-thumbupright: NICE JOB!!

whfan74

Looks good Scotty, Question? When your pwdr coater did your rims are they lienen beige and if so how is the match and what does yer guy use?

Thanks ~Duke

Duke it is and was matched to an old nos rim. Next time I see him I will check the brand and color name for you.

HorseFixer

Thanks ~Duke

Duke it is and was matched to an old nos rim. Next time I see him I will check the brand and color name for you.

Thanks Scotty, :thumbs: Martin says his company uses PPG Powder Coat but I dunno if he has done a Linen Beige ones I think his 1054 had white Rims. As of right now I have 16 Rims ready to be blasted and powder coated Linen Beige and am probably gonna hafta buy a 50lb box of pwder which isnt cheap :eusa-think: Does yer guy want some extra work how much ya figure he charges for 4 rims? Or if not I could use the pwdr recipie code and kinda product thanks. :handgestures-thumbupright: ~Duke

Martin

duke, i use terex white for the wheels. i think its made by IFS/Klinger powder coatings and is called oyster white, i only know part of the paint number, PLS400....something, something. i can get the number tuesday.

we dont get it very often, not a color we paint a lot of. i think its very expensive because we only buy it a box at a time, not in bulk like everything else......

ive used this for all the tractors and the cart wheels so far.....

HorseFixer

duke, i use terex white for the wheels. i think its made by IFS/Klinger powder coatings and is called oyster white, i only know part of the paint number, PLS400....something, something. i can get the number tuesday.

we dont get it very often, not a color we paint a lot of. i think its very expensive because we only buy it a box at a time, not in bulk like everything else......

ive used this for all the tractors and the cart wheels so far.....

Martin is that a dead on match for linien beige? Or is it just a white? The PPG you spoke of is that the Red you use?

Tuesdays fine :text-thankyouyellow: Duke

whfan74

Here is what we used on the 701 rims:

Sherwin Williams

RAL 1014 GLSD