Sign in to follow this  
Hydro

UDS (Ugly Drum Smokers)

Hydro

So been reading the web on these drums and kits. Anybody building one? I make sausage and do some smoking. Was thinking about a Weber Bullet then saw these. Kinda neat!

AMC RULES

Umm...like this Gary? :scratchead:

http://uglydrumsmokerplans.com/

Not sure if you've seen 'em, but there's a bunch of how to videos on youtube too, if you're interested. :dunno:

Hydro

Yep ...can you tell we're board up here. No weather. Not enought snow to do much. Was ice fishing last weekend going again next week. Been thinking about other projects and a smoker is one of them. I have a weber kettle with a rotissierie and a smokenator but thinking about something bigger.

AMC RULES

At least you have ice... :beer: and something to do now, while you're waiting for the next bite. :canada:

Trouty56

I threw one together last fall....It does a good job but mine takes a bit of supervision to keep the temperature at the right place. 1/2 bag of charcoal lasts about 18 hours maybe longer.

284933_242461145784388_100000615138338_820681_5210706_n.jpg

Hydro

:banana-skier: :flags-canada:

Hydro

I figured with all the fabrication talent on this site there'd be some variety. Just not sure whether anybody has figured out how to make it a Wheel Horse attachment? I mean after all if you can use a Wheel Horse to make ice cream why can't we figure out a way to cook with one! :eusa-think:

Hydro

I threw one together last fall....It does a good job but mine takes a bit of supervision to keep the temperature at the right place. 1/2 bag of charcoal lasts about 18 hours maybe longer.

284933_242461145784388_100000615138338_820681_5210706_n.jpg

What were you cooking for 18 hours? What size of a bag. That's awesome and apparently one of the advantages of these is the long period of time. Do you do brisket?

Forest Road

I picked up a barely used Brinkman smoker off CL. It was $25 well spent. Ive been thinking about stepping up to a Weber or the big green egg. It's fun. You just gotta be patient. And have lots of great meat!!!!

Hydro

They call it L O W and S L O W :)

Trouty56

A big assed pork butt roast.....8-9 lb will take about that long to fall off the bone good at 200-225 degrees. My favorite.....salt/sugar brined deer roasts (soaked for 4 days) take about 4 hours to get to 140 degrees. Put a bit of hickory in the charcoal basket and cook it slow. Slice it thin and watch it disappear.....

• Like 1

Trouty56

Never did a brisket...not that skilled yet. I use the regular sized bag o charcoal....18-22 lb something like that.

Paul D.

I've seen a lot of people who convert those double barrel heaters ( 2 55 gal. Drums stacked) into smokers. They work great and they sell kits to make your own

Hydro

Don't think I have seen a double barrelled heater but from what I have been watching on the Net these 55 gal drums seem like a great idea. The Weber Smokey Mountain Cookers are pretty great but they are really expensive for what they are.

Hydro
106243542.mYtgXW2C.jpg Not too much ugly about this one!

Paul D.

Here is a double barrel heater kit. There cheap but you provide your own Barrels.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IOBIN6/ref=asc_df_B000IOBIN61896922?smid=A1DVTBR2NQ2Q9F&tag=nextagusmp0426115-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B000IOBIN6

Or you could build one like mine. It will do up to 150lb. of pulled pork at a time

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

I've only got about $350 into this one and it paid for itself (I cater on the side) the first time I cooked with it

• Like 1

Trouty56

Now there's a happy feller......

Paul D.

Now there's a happy feller......

My Son loves to help me BBQ This year he will be old enough to help shredding. When we do large pork orders its all hands on deck at my house. Every one has a job. It's just keeping the kids from snitching thats the hard part.

• Like 1

Hydro

He's awful skinny for being near all that pork :laughing-rolling:

Nice outfit!

Paul D.

He didn't get that skinny thing from Me thats for sure. And yeah, He's a trend setter. Of coarse he has discovered girls now so thats all starting to change

Hydro

Do you travel to events and that sort of thing or are you just hired by families or companies for BBQ's and private events?

I have seen some pretty elaborate smoker trailers upwards of $8000.00 so there must be quite a bit of demand in the US.

We have tons of sausage carts but don't see a lot of the pulled pork or BBQ trailers. There is a local company that does come in for pig roasts and they do up a whole hog.

Paul D.

I mostly do graduation parties and weddings but I also do some company outings and church picnics. I also do pulled pork, burgers and dogs for our area rec. baseball/softball program and the youth football program. I have a second cooker that I'd gas powered. You can see that one in my profile. That one is set up for on site cooking. It has a sink and warming drawers and a cooler in the back