Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Transporting Tractor With Cab

mattd860

I would like to transport my 520H with cab to my parents house from time to time. I was also thinking about taking the tractor to a few shows/events during the summer (approx 400 miles max round trip. Is it safe to travel with the cab installed? Can the cab handle speeds of 65-70mph? The tractor will be on a 5X8 trailer while traveling on the road.

Also - does anyone know what kind of insurance exists on trailer loads? Will my tractors be covered by my automobile/trailer policy if they get damaged while on the trailer? I don't own my own trailer, I borrow it from my father, otherwise I would just call up my own auto insurer.

Thanks!

can whlvr

i wouldnt do it,if you get a head wind and you travel 70 mph,it could see 100 mile an hour winds,my boat top got wrecked once going down the road on a very windy day,and thats way thicker material,dont know how your insurance works,i have buisness insurance and it covers stuff behind the truck like my tool trailer

wh500special

My opinion on the cabbed tractor it that you shouldn't haul it. Everything will be fine for a while, then you'll hit some critical speed where the sucker instantaneously blows apart.

On the insurance...

You must check with your insurer because it may be completely different than anyone else's policy. Sometimes work related activities aren't covered by private insurance and vice versa.

My standard auto policy protects me for liability only when the trailer and cargo is attached to my vehicle. I have insurance on the trailer itself for damage and loss. It's a separate policy. The cargo is covered by special provisions on my policy and has an upper bound on value limits.

If you're borrowing a trailer you probably have limited liability coverage for the trailer itself and its cargo should it present damage to someone else. I'd imagine you'd be out of pocket completely if you lose/damage the cargo or trailer.

Your father's agent will need to help you on what's covered on HIS trailer. YOUR stuff might be excepted unless he's pulling the trailer.

Steve

• Like 1

.5racer

If you can't ask your agent YOURSELF about a trailer or its contents , than NO you are not covered, buck up and at least ask where you stand !!!!!!

WOW !!!!!

AMC RULES

I'd find it very hard to believe the vinyl cover on the cab is rated for open air travel at highway speeds. :scratchead:

Maybe give it a try though, you never know... :sad-bored:

:wwp: If you do, and so will the insurance company too. LOL. :text-imsorry:

mattd860

Alright thanks guys. The cab will get disassembled before road travel.

MalMac

Matt take the cab off. A friend tried with his 314. Just got pulled out into the highway was only at about 15MPH when a tractor trailer came form the other direction and the when blew,sucked and totally destroyed the cab. It even ripped the roof loose from it's mountings. Not good was a total destruction. Can't imagine what would have happed to the thing at hi-way speed and met a semi.

Rollerman

You could possibly shrink wrap it, but that could get involved if you were to move it frequently.

A 2' wide roll would last a long time though if you just went around the center area some to keeo the doors from getting sucked open & keeping your speeds at a minimum.

can whlvr

may be you could build a structure that can go on the trailer,like panels that get bolted to gether to cover it if your going to move it alot,then it could be stored in there and ready to go when a storm hits(if thats why you move it)just a thought,i know of some landscapers that have removable structures on their trailers,ive thought of it for my 12 foot float too

mattd860

Just to be clear - after reading some of these comments - I will NEVER be transporting the tractor with cab installed unless I have a fully enclosed trailer. Thanks!

Hydro

Hey Matt, I am an insurance adjuster but there are differences I'm sure between States and certainly between our Countries. One tractor damaged or lost at home would likely be considered as a content item of the home. Some policies limit size and horsepower but if you are travelling with them off premises you should check with your broker or agent ...whatever to see what the Coverages and Exclusions are. Don't assume anything and find yourself on the short end after something happens. Insurance is a contract to do certain things in the event of a loss. Some losses are not covered, some additional coverages can be bought. It's costs nothing to ask and not asking doesn't gain you anything.

546cowboy

I bought a tractor last fall at an auction that had a cab on it. I had to go about 25 miles with it. I didn't make it out of the parking area before I found I had to stop and tie something around it. As I recall I stopped at least 10 times and used every rope and strap I had before I made it home. When I sold it and the guy asked if he could haul it home with the cab on there 125 miles, I said no way. I removed it before he got here to get it.