Sign in to follow this  
6wheeler

Another lost soul has found its way here "89 Dodge Dakota"

6wheeler

My little brother called me up last night. He had purchased an 91 Dodge Dakota 4x4 for his boy a month ago. It is a relatively clean truck considering it has 150,000 Minnesota miles on it. (we use more salt on the roads in 1 month than Mickey D's puts on their fries in a whole year in ALL their stores) Anyway, it has a 318 and an automatic. He took it home and the boy drove it a couple of weeks, then the trouble started. The truck accelerated on its own. He was stopped at the time so no real danger. But it wouldn't idle down. He shut it off and it seemed fine when restarted. It did it again last week. My brother put it on a computer and the code was MAF sensor bad, so R&R that . Seems problem fixed.. NOT..Yesterday, he was driving it to work to make sure it was ok. The way he described it was, " It seemed like the tranny shifted down, because the engine tached out". Now remembering that baby bri bri (as we call him) can be a little dramatic. I asked, did it shift down? He said "no, I don't know, you look at it". He dropped it off this morning and said,"You got a check"? I said, "What"? He says " Its yours, $550.00, I don't want it". :snooty: So," VOILA". I own a Dodge Dakota. :no: So. To make a long story short? TOO LATE! What I need ,is you Dodge guys to help me out here. I have owned 2 whole Chrysler products in my life. An 88' and a 93' Caravan. Both were wrought with electrical gremlins and I suspect that is what is going on here. The fuel guage doesn't work, niether does the A/C. But, every thing else does. Any help will be appreciated. And, I am ready for the scrap it, its a dodge jabs I am sure will come. But remember its a 4x4 for $550 bucks. I can fix that. :eusa-think:

dodge78

Did he clear the codes when he was done? You can get the codes by turning the key to on (not to the start position) 3 times, so it would be on, off, on, off, on. The check engine light will flash, giving you the codes.

A good place to go for help would be: http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-help/

Jim_M

I suspect grounding issues. Similar things happen in northern Indiana, we too use a lot of salt.