Sign in to follow this  
JamesBe1

C120 Ignition Plug

JamesBe1

My C-120 stopped charging its battery lately. I have had this problem before, and it turns out to be a deteriorated plug on the back of the ignition switch. I guess the time has finally come for me to replace it. It is a 5 pin spade connector plug. Does anyone have a source of supply for just the plug itself? I have looked around the internet, but haven't had a great deal of luck so far. Also, toro lists the whole wiring harness. I don't really feel like trying to remove and replace every wire in the tractor. It would be easier to just replace the plug itself.

Thanx,

James

TT

Here's one example: http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/430-223

JamesBe1

Thanx Terry. I don't really want to track down and replace all the wires, just the plug.

I think I finally found it. As usual, I tracked it down several hours after looking for it, and 5 minutes after posting for help.

http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Electrical-Parts/Lawn-Mower-Electrical-Connectors.asp

gregg'shorses

The plug is available at NAPA . Part # 7-016034 that is the plastic connector only.

JamesBe1

The plug is available at NAPA . Part # 7-016034 that is the plastic connector only.

Thankyou Gregg. Much appreciated.

TT

Sorry - I though you were having bad electrical connection issues at the ignition switch and needed to replace the metal terminals along with the plastic plug.

The preassembled pigtail makes the job a little easier - especially if the corrosion is back into the wire strands.

JamesBe1

Sorry - I though you were having bad electrical connection issues at the ignition switch and needed to replace the metal terminals along with the plastic plug.

The preassembled pigtail makes the job a little easier - especially if the corrosion is back into the wire strands.

No problem Terry. Actually, I was going to replace the terminals too, since they current ones are very oxidised. Years ago, I marred the connector trying to get the terminals out. They have just never sat right since.

I'm not too fond of the connector with wires since I would have to splice them into the existing wires. Definitely not something I want to do from both an esthetic and practical point of view. Splices look bad, and often end up corroding sometime down the road. I kinda figured that I would cut off the old terminals and strip the wire back enough for the new terminal. I was toying with the idea of soldering them on.

gregg'shorses

Soldering and then covering with shrink tube is the best way.

JamesBe1

Soldering and then covering with shrink tube is the best way.

Yup. I agree. I have got lots of that on all of my tractors. But from an esthetic point of view, I would replace the whole wire. Since all my tractors are all workers, I just splice.

This afternoon, I rewired the electric fuel pump on my D-180 to draw power from the accessory connector on the switch. It used to be wired directly to the battery via a toggle switch. Anyhow, I didn't have my soldering iron around, so I had to butt spliced it. I covered the ends of the butt splice with liquid electrical tape - handy stuff to have around.

I haven't order the plug yet since I am still looking for a source for the spade connectors that go inside the plug. Most places I see online that sell the plug and connectors want about $2 each for the connectors. I'm not cheap, but that seems like a rip off. Also, a couple of the places had ridiculous shipping charges.

James

BOWTIE

HELLO, THE BRASS TERMINALS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE FROM NAPA/CARQUEST/O'REILYS IN A BLISTER PACK OR A BOX OF 25-50-100. THEY WERE A COMMON TERMINAL USED IN THE 60's GM CARS. GOOD LUCK

BOWTIE IN OHIO

JamesBe1

HELLO, THE BRASS TERMINALS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE FROM NAPA/CARQUEST/O'REILYS IN A BLISTER PACK OR A BOX OF 25-50-100. THEY WERE A COMMON TERMINAL USED IN THE 60's GM CARS. GOOD LUCK

BOWTIE IN OHIO

Thanx Bowtie. I wish I had read your post 15 minutes ago. I just ordered them from Newark Electronics after spending a couple of hours hunting them down across the internet. The ones I ordered were tin plated if that makes any difference. I think next time I go to the autoparts store, I'll look around.

James

JamesBe1

BOWTIE IN OHIO

I finally got around to hunting down the correct connectors at a reasonable price. I think these are them on ebay. A bag of 50 for 10.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160719025029&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en