JamesBe1

Ark Loader

pfrederi

The spring on the left rod is always in contact with the trunnion. When the brake is set the spring is compressed and note that then the rod itself sticks out beyond the end of the trunion

JamesBe1

The parking brake is on the lower dash panel in a L shaped groove. ( I can see the knob in one of your pictures (Near the left side of the panel). You push the knob up and to the left to set the brake. There is a spring which puts pressure on the pawl linkage so when the pawl teeth are aligned with the gear grooves it drops in. When you release it the spring pulls the pawl up. If it the pawl is wedged against the gear (the weight of the tractor trying to move the gear forcing it against the pawl) the spring isn't always strong enough to pull it free, hence the requirement to rock the tractor a bit to free the pawl.

The pedal has no impact on setting the parking pawl all it does is kick tthe motion control to neutral.

Thanx a million for the great explanation Paul. The key thing was that the "pedal has no impact on setting the parking pawl . . ."

As I said above, when I got the tractor, stepping on the brake pedal engaged the parking pawl. Obviously, someone monkeyed with it and set it up wrong. It would be nice to one day have it working in case I need it.

Looking at this pic, the brake rod on the right moves from front to rear (top to bottom in the picture) when the brake pedal is depressed. Before I changed it, all the nuts were tight up against the trunnion (?) which moved the parking pawl rod (the one on the left) into position. Also, stepping on the brake pedal raised the parking lever on the dash panel. This didn't seem logical, so I backed off the pair of nuts to allow the rod to move without moving the rest of the assembly (make sense so far?). It seems to be the way it should work, but then again, I am operating without the benefit of ever having seen how it is set up. The manuals are pretty sketchy as to how it should operate.

Any chance of getting you to look at yours and compare?

James

Edit:

Surprise surprise, I just found my parts manual, and looking at the illustration of the Brake, Speed, and Control Linkage, I find that there is only one nut on the brake rod. The rear one. The pair of nuts on the front (top part of the picture) shouldn't be there. No wonder stepping on the brake engaged the parking pawl. I will be removing them first thing tomorrow. I would love to find whoever put them there and beat them with the parking rod.

Some Pictures of the brake handle and linkages. Note the change in the spring compression when engaged. Second picture brake off, third brake on

ace60d172052172.jpg 147425172052178.jpg 8d53b2172052190.jpg

Click picture for larger version

I'm sure glad you uploaded those pics Paul. Comparing them to mine shows that someone installed the barking brake rod backwards, and left off the spring. I wonder what the specs are for the spring. I'd hate to have to go through toro or a distributor to buy something like that. Maybe I'll just take it up to my local hardware store and see if they have something about the same length and width.

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Hi folks,

I just picked up a D-180 with an ARK loader.  Just like your post the info seems almost identical in mine

The WH and Ark Work fine, but there is plenty to do bring it back to where I want it not even counting the cosmetics.

I'm looking for the Ark Manual for Ark Model 7 3050 for my D-180 which has a Model 1-0601 8  and serial# 945927

I believe that makes the WH a '73 if I understand correctly.  Or perhaps a late '72 early '73?

Either way I'm looking for the right Ark Manual and correct D-180 manual.  Most work issues are with some hydraulic leaks from the O rings on the lift arms.  

I want to start by putting in all new fluids everywhere. Starting with the Koehler engine as well as the tranny.

Where can I find the right oils?   Or does it matter that much?

I also saw the pics on this thread of a beautiful D-180 with an Ark that had a hydraulic fluid filter.. Was that an add-on. Cause I don't see any on mine.

Thanks for a quick jump start!

Best, Jack

C-161 1979 with snowthrower, plow and mower

D-180 1973?  with ARK and plow.

gwest_ca

Operator manual

IPL

Lube chart

For more search the Manuals library using 1-0601

The 8 on the end is not used but if you subtract 5 from that 6th digit you get the model year. 8-5=3=1973

Garry

pfrederi

Engine 30 wt sumer...10w-30 winter.

Trans  10w-30 motor oil...BUT!!! check yours first.  some older ones ran Type A ATF (Dexron)  If the fluid is cherry red it is ATF.  I do not think the effort of flushing te esystem to change over to motor oil is worth the effort.  Other Sundstrands work just fine on ATF.  Your call but do not mix them.

Loader us 10w30 or 10w-40 motor oil. 

Filters were not included but I highly recommend you rig one up.  The picture earlier in this thread is a very neat installation.  Mine is not so neat but made with fittings I had on hand.

• Like 1

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Thank you so much! You guys are great.

One of the many things I need to clear up…. :)

Is Ark Model 7 3050 pretty much the same as a Ark 550?

Thanks again!

Jack

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

"Loader us 10w30 or 10w-40 motor oil. "

Hi,

The guy I bought the Ark loader from was using hyraulic oil.  It is leaking through some of the arm o rings.

I tried to find any mention of the type of 'oil' for the hydraulics of the Ark. It don't say in the manuals.

I'll go with your suggestion of using 10w 30 or 10w 40 .  Can I  just drain the whole reservoir an refill? with the correct oil?   How many quarts does it call for?

Thanks!

Jack

Filters were not included but I highly recommend you rig one up.  The picture earlier in this thread is a very neat installation.  Mine is not so neat but made with fittings I had on hand.

pfrederi

From the manual

referred to when consulting with your dealer or Ark Manufacturing Co., Inc. concerning service, replacement

parts, or questions you may have. If a VIN plate is removed during repair operations it should always be replaced.

For your reference, record below the numbers from the VIN plate on the frame and bucket of your

loader.

Loader Frame Number Loader Bucket Number

This front loader is manufactured and warranted by Ark Manufacturing Co., Inc. and not Wheel Horse

Products, Inc. All inquiries concerning warranty service and replacement parts should be directed to your

servicing dealer or to the manufacturer at the following address:

ARK MANUFACTURING CO., INC.

Box 327

Sterling, Kansas 67579

Phone: 316-278-3641

SPECIFICATIONS*

A.

B.

Height to bucket hinge pin 85 in. (215.9 cm)

Reach @ maximum height, bucket dumped. . . .. 24.5 in. (62.2 cm)

Clearance, bucket dumped 67 in. (170.2 cm)

Reach, bucket on ground. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . - 48 in. (121.9 cm)

C.

D.

E.

F.

Bucket roll back. .. 8 degrees

Maximum dumping angle 45 degrees

G. Digging depth 4 in. (10.2 cm)

H. Reach, axle to bucket hinge pin. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 27 in. (68.6 cm)

Overall maximum raised height. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 106 in. (269.2 cm)

Lift capacity (payload) 600 Ibs. (272.2 kg)**

Dump bucket to full dump. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 5 see.

Raise bucket to full height. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 6 sec.

48 in. (122 em) material bucket capacity. . . . . . .. 6.7 cu. ft. (.19 cu.m)

I.

J. Hydraulic System:

Pressure. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 1000 PSI (70.3 kg/cm2)

Capacity. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 5.5-6 qts. (5.2-5.7 / )

Oil Type lOW30 or 10W40 Heavy Duty Motor Oil

.A II measurements based upon tractor equipped with 26 x 12.-00.12 rear tires and 18 x 8.-50-8 front tires.

"Loader is capable of lifting 600 Ibs. (272.2 kg) to transport height. and 400 Ibs. (181.4 kg) to full height.

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Hi prfederi,

Fantastic.  Just made a pdf rebuilding the manual. Appreciate all the info very much!!!

Best,

Jack

From the manual

referred to when consulting with your dealer or Ark Manufacturing Co., Inc. concerning service, replacement

parts, or questions you may have. If a VIN plate is removed during repair operations it should always be replaced.

For your reference, record below the numbers from the VIN plate on the frame and bucket of your

loader.

Loader Frame Number Loader Bucket Number

This front loader is manufactured and warranted by Ark Manufacturing Co., Inc. and not Wheel Horse

Products, Inc. All inquiries concerning warranty service and replacement parts should be directed to your

servicing dealer or to the manufacturer at the following address:

ARK MANUFACTURING CO., INC.

Box 327

Sterling, Kansas 67579

Phone: 316-278-3641

SPECIFICATIONS*

A.

B.

Height to bucket hinge pin 85 in. (215.9 cm)

Reach @ maximum height, bucket dumped. . . .. 24.5 in. (62.2 cm)

Clearance, bucket dumped 67 in. (170.2 cm)

Reach, bucket on ground. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . - 48 in. (121.9 cm)

C.

D.

E.

F.

Bucket roll back. .. 8 degrees

Maximum dumping angle 45 degrees

G. Digging depth 4 in. (10.2 cm)

H. Reach, axle to bucket hinge pin. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 27 in. (68.6 cm)

Overall maximum raised height. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 106 in. (269.2 cm)

Lift capacity (payload) 600 Ibs. (272.2 kg)**

Dump bucket to full dump. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 5 see.

Raise bucket to full height. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 6 sec.

48 in. (122 em) material bucket capacity. . . . . . .. 6.7 cu. ft. (.19 cu.m)

I.

J. Hydraulic System:

Pressure. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 1000 PSI (70.3 kg/cm2)

Capacity. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 5.5-6 qts. (5.2-5.7 / )

Oil Type lOW30 or 10W40 Heavy Duty Motor Oil

.A II measurements based upon tractor equipped with 26 x 12.-00.12 rear tires and 18 x 8.-50-8 front tires.

"Loader is capable of lifting 600 Ibs. (272.2 kg) to transport height. and 400 Ibs. (181.4 kg) to full height.