Sign in to follow this  
CCCWH

416 Hydro Engine question

CCCWH

Hey RS Community,

I have an engine question for you. Looking at purchasing a WH 416 Hydro, Kohler engine. The guy selling it doesn't know the year or how many hours on the machine. The guy is telling me that there is too much compression on the rebuilt motor. It turns over once but won't start. Its fairly cheap and comes with a plow. Any ideas on how to fix this? I am not very mechanically inclined so I don't want to get over my head here. Suggestions?

woodchuckfarmer

It could just need a battery.

TT

Are you sure it's a Kohler and not an Onan? :scratchead:

CCCWH

.I am not sure to be honest, I am just going by what the seller has told me. Here is how it reads on CL.

i have a wheelhorse 16hp with plow it is hydro drive hydro up and down for plow tire chains. The only thing wrong with it is that it will turn over once then stop everytime u try to start it but i have had it running before works great no joke.

Any additonal comments is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CCC

Sparky

Did the seller really write "no joke" on the ad :grin: ! That would make me nervous right there.

Mike..........

Kelly

I guess if it's a good price, and not to far of a drive, I'd have to look at it, could be a simple fix like a bad conection, or batt. weak starter or internal engine issues.

Rooster

Hey RS Community,

...The guy is telling me that there is too much compression on the rebuilt motor. It turns over once but won't start. .....

That is not whats wrong....that is a common thing said by people who know little about engines.

You cannot rebuild an engine and put "too much compression" in it for it to turn over.

There are alot of things that can cause it to be hard cranking, and without having it in front of you it is impossible to tell which one it is.

Like Kelly said,t could be a simple and free fix and you could end up with a great tractor, with a freshly rebuilt engine for a good price, or it could be somethiing catastrophic and you can end up with too much money in a bad engine.

I am not very mechanically inclined so I don't want to get over my head here. Suggestions?

Are you a gambler? lol....because in my opinion this tractor is a gamble for you.

Better yet, do you have a friend who is mechanically inclined, knows something about these engines, and you could trust to go with you to look at it?

CCCWH

thanks for the knowledge guys. I think I will go look at it. It is cheap with plow. It may be worth the gamble. I will keep ya posted.