Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Wild Blue's Exede

T-Mo

I just received an email from Wild Blue on their new satellite technology (whatever?) called Exede. With speeds at 5 Mbps and 12 Mbps and priced at $49.99, it's sounds good. I have Hughesnet now for 3 years, original plan was at 1.6 Mbps (no longer available) and I think they moved my speeds down to 1.0 Mbps. I'm not satisfied at all with Hughesnet and for what I pay for it, it's too slow.

Being in a rural area, the only options I have is dial-up and satellite. The only cell phone coverage I have is ATT and it's at only 2G with an occasional 3G. Verizon doesn't have any coverage, nor does Sprint and T-Mobile is only 2G. So a new system coming in at 12 Mbps with half the cost of what I'm currently paying sounds almost too good to be true. Down side is, I'm seeing scuttlebutt on Wild Blue's forums that the cap is at 7.5 Gb per month and they're not hesitant about cutting you back to slower than dial-up speeds. I ran over the cap on Hughesnet a couple of times and it's not fun being there.

Any thoughts or comments or has anyone heard anything about Exede and the cap limits?

6wheeler

T-MO, you might want to check the reviews on that provider first. Apparently, they are not at all what they promise. I was thinking about hughes net because our DSL S.U.C.K.S. badly (Shafts Us Constantly Krappy Service Steadily) . But, apparently we are in the ALMOST everywhere Hughes Net services, because we cannot get them. Oh well.

T-Mo

If you have DSL, you don't want Hughesnet - trust me.

nylyon

What's your current cap and usage? Call Wildblue and ask about the cap, there is certainly one, I know mine is set at 200GB (or 250) for Comcast.

T-Mo

When I first got Hughesnet, I got the basic plan, which I think was 1.2 Mbps and 250 mb per 24 hour period cap. The 250 Mb immediately became a problem, so I upgraded to 1.6 (I think) and 425 Mb, which up the cost about $20 per month. About a couple a months ago I get an email from Hughesnet that they were bumping their speed up, but I noticed that the package I currently had wasn't available anymore and that my price point lower the speed to 1.0 Mbps and down to 400 Mb. Wild Blue Exede will bring the speed to 5 Mbps or 12 Mbps (depending on area) and a cap at 7.5 Gb per a 30 day period, which works out to about 250 Mb per 24 hour period. Wild Blue works their cap limit a little different, but once you go over you have to wait until your contract date for the next month to get your speed back. Hughesnet will only slow you down for 24 hours before you're back to the normal speed. Keep in mind that when Hughesnet says 1.5 or 1.0 Mbps, realistically it's a tad slower, maybe 1.1 and .7 Mbps instead of 1.5 and 1.0. I'm sure Wild Blues 12 Mbps advertised speed is less realistically.

nylyon

You need to see what your current monthly usage is. You may be okay?