Sign in to follow this  
Paul D.

Getting gas smell out of clothes

Paul D.

So went to start the tractor Yesterday to blow the drive off and it wouldn't start. Well the fuel line had a hole in it so gas wasn't getting to the engine. bought some new gas line, shut off the valve at the bottom of the tank and pulled off the old line. Well that 30 year old shut off apparently doesn't work any more and it pissed gas all over me :angry-cussing: . So do any of you seasoned veterans have any good advise as to how to get the gas smell out my clothes? Ive tried dawn dish soap with a vinegar rinse so far with not very good results. The only other way I know to get gas smell out is a match.

CRE1992

A good smelling detergent, along with oxy-clean and softener in the wash. Then add a dryer softener sheet in the dryer and there will be no smell! Yes I do my own laundry... lol

4xfourfun

Well I've never tried any of these on gas smells but to get smoke out of my work clothes I use Oxyclean. Oxyclean works good but I normally have to use 4 times the normal amount. I let them soak in cleaner over night if they are really bad. I've also heard of people using vinegar, baking soda, Coca Cola and even vodka. Yes vodka :P

Why is it I feel funny responding to this post. lol

sorekiwi

I think all my work clothes smell like gas, or oil, or grinding dust, or a combination of all of them...

• Like 5

AMC RULES

I'm pretty sure my wife would get suspicious if I came home and my clothes didn't smell of gas, oil, and diesel. :scratchead:

sorekiwi

I'm pretty sure my wife would get suspicious if I came home and my clothes didn't smell of gas, oil, and diesel. :scratchead:

Yeah, mine got really mad when I came home smelling of cheap perfume and I was covered in glitter as well...

AMC RULES

See what I mean? :eusa-doh: Even the Kiwi knows to leave them clothes alone. :naughty:

• Like 1

Paul D.

Things I've learned from this post thus far

1. Splurge on the good detergent

2. Oxy Clean is my friend

3. If I find my self at a strip club it's best to change the oil before coming into the house

And my wife says she would never waste vodka on a coat

You guys are awesome. Even if I don't get the smell out at least I'm we'll entertained

• Like 2

JimD

Yeah, mine got really mad when I came home smelling of cheap perfume and I was covered in glitter as well...

Glitter? Really? :banana-gotpics::wwp::ROTF:

My clothes all smell like the blue coolant we use in the CNC machines at work. I need to get back in the garage for some gas and oil treatment. :handgestures-thumbup:

KC9KAS

I too smell of gasoline & oil after just walking through the garage. My wife usually has me put the dirty/smelly clothes outside on the porch until she is ready to wash them.

Oh, by the way....If you do try to clean the gasoline out with a match, take the clothes off 1st and do it outside...not oin the garage!

Sparky

Back when I was a teenager I worked at a garage pumping gas but between gas customers I was shown how to do simple jobs on cars. It was also my job to steam clean the three bay garage on Sundays when the mechanics wern't working but the gas pumps were still open. My uniforms stunk and I remember my mother using Lestiol on them. Not sure if it was for the smell of the clothes or the stains.

Mike........

rmaynard

My wife always puts a cup of vinegar in the washer with my dirty duds.

Kelly

I just make sure I have on work clothes, then on wed. take them to work with me, the uniform co. makes them smell ok in fact they don't smell, void of smell, but if at home I stayed clean and didn't smell of old gas, grease, carb cleaner the wife would think something is up.

Don1977

When I spill a lot of gas or diesel on my clothes, I usually soak them in a 5 gal bucket with ditergent for a day or so before washing in the machine. I do the same after spraying weed killer as i can never find a day when the wind is calm enought that I don't get covered when spraying with the tractor.

SousaKerry

down on the farm we left them hung up outside for a couple of weeks. Dad would strip down right in the yard and throw the clothes on the grape arbor even in the dead of winter......good thing there were plenty of trees between us and the neighbors :ychain:

AMC RULES

down on the farm we left them hung up outside for a couple of weeks. Dad would strip down right in the yard and throw the clothes on the grape arbor even in the dead of winter......good thing there were plenty of trees between us and the neighbors :ychain:

:omg: Don't look Ethel. :eusa-doh:

Paul D.

Boogity Boogity

6wheeler

Ok, I have a plan that works well for me. I just ask my wife to come out in the shop to help me. This way she gets smelly too :techie-eureka: . The boys aren't always around so she helps me alot. I do my own laundry. And, SHE changes her own oil. I know I am lucky that way. Now if I can just convince her to go to a strip joint :eusa-think: .

Paul D.

I have to say my wife does a better job cleaning fish than I do. But she doesn't change her own oil. Otherwise what would she need me for.

Shuboxlover

Whenever I get gas (or anything else smelly) on my cloths, I always hang them outside on my deck for at least a day. I opem them up as much as possible, and after a good airing out, I was them and they're good as new!.....except for the stains and holes of course :)

Hydro

I'll bet she would've been really been upset if you had marks on your Kiwi :*****: