Sign in to follow this  
clintonnut

Update: 2 months after bad judgement day..

clintonnut

I have been in a cast for 2 months now and they finally put me in a walking boot :thumbs2:! I still can't drive for another month which really sucks. My truck hasn't left the driveway since August 10th. I have to wait until November 1st now. Doctors say I should need no crutches by the end of this week and be full weight bearing.

At least I have a girlfriend to keep me company now and my social life is starting to pick up again.

Here's a pic of whats going on...

August 10th

6d01256a.jpg

October 3rd

7a4b20f0.jpg

188e0443.jpg

Bad news is I sprained my right ankle for the forth time doing this and I am on the fence about snowboarding in January. I need to make sure it can take a big jump and a chance of me wiping out.

Charlie

C-Series14

You better take it easy!

Lucky you aren't in the military, they make old guys like me run a mile and a half every morning and do 50 push ups a day!!!! Well, actually, that is what I force myself to do so they don't kick me out! :thumbs2:

AMC RULES

I'm suprised you haven't converted that ol' Mopar over to hand controls instead of waiting. :banghead: The break looks painful, how'd that happen. :thumbs2:

stevasaurus

Holy Cow Charlie...that does look painful. I did that when I was 4 years old...in a full cast all summer and in a wheel chair. A long summer for a 4 year old, and I had to learn how to walk again. It will also start aching when the weather turns for many years. :banghead: Take it easy and make sure it is healed good before taking a chance and hurting it again. :thumbs2:

Butch

You gotta good memory Steve! Did they even have casts back then? :thumbs2:

AMC RULES

...prolly got the first one... :thumbs2: somebody had to be the first?

JimD

Hey Steve, I found one of your x rays. Must be after you were all healed up. :thumbs2:

saurusxray.jpg

Charlie, take your time and heal properly, it has to last a long time. :banghead:

Buzz

Hey Steve, I found one of your x rays. Must be after you were all healed up. :thumbs2:

saurusxray.jpg

:banghead::banghead: :D

Butch

:thumbs2: :banghead: :banghead:

buckrancher

back then they used two pieces of bark and some rope to tie it around your leg :banghead::banghead:

Brian

sorekiwi

I tried to waterski about 2 months after a sprained ankle had stopped hurting - yep it started hurting again, and now (9 years later) that ankle still isnt as strong as the other one.

I'm not sure that snowboarding is a great idea....

Kelly

One winter with out snowboarding, could mean a life time with out leg issues, i broke my arm as a kid and now at 45 I feel it bad in the winter, take the time now to heal right or pay for it the rest of your life.

Coadster32

Glad the hear you're healing well Charlie. No lectures on what to do here, but I think you know what's best.

Oh...and that dino x-ray... :thumbs2:

can whlvr

gotta agree with the others charlie,one winter wont kill you too take it easy,or you could be in a cast for twice the time of the first break,good to hear you are going to be mobile soon :thumbs2:

CRE1992

Though ironically having the same name, and being about a year? older than you (I'm 19). I would have to agree with the older crowd speaking above :thanks::thumbs:. During my junior year of high school, I was rather angry and decided to take my anger out quading... :thumbs2: Well lets just say the shocks on a quad don't work as well as they would when hitting a jump at 60mph compared to 25-30mph.. I blew out the front suspension, the back end of the quad came up over the quad, and as I tried to jump off to not be crushed, my left leg got hung up in the handle bars and the quad landed upside down on my leg.. Leaving me with a torn acl and meniscus as well as a knee cap that looks like a spider web (micro fractures) in an x-ray. I was in a leg brace for 4 months. Though a week later, I got my money together and bought another quad... and like an idiot I decided to go off some jumps (while still being in a brace).. Well not being familiar with this quad I preloaded the suspension 3/4 of the way up the jump, causing the front end to do a nose dive while I was 8-12 feet up in the air, and having the quad land on the same leg! :D:banghead:! Needless to say I didn't learn my lesson. And still about 2-3 years later my knee still bothers me, locking up on occasion. I would take a winter off, as big as a bummer as that may sound its only one winter vs. the rest of your life. The same thing also happened to my hand, I broke the 5th metacarpel in my left hand (go figure I am a lefty...) in a fight in high school, only to get in a fight 2 weeks later to off set the cast, needless to say it didn't heal right :USA: . (I can have quite the anger problems sometimes :banghead: ) Though my girlfriend who was around for all of it is rather fond of my "sometimes" stupid actions. Just be happy yours is there for you :ROTF: Ultimately the decision is yours but be warned. :thumbs:

Btw, I am curious to find out how you did that also..

-Charles

stevasaurus

You guys... :banghead: The bad part was taking the cast off...before electricity...a sharp rock and a big stone hammer. :thumbs2: :banghead:

HorseFixer

At least I have a girlfriend to keep me company now and my social life is starting to pick up again.

Charlie

Jeesh, some guys will try any angle to get more attention! :banghead::thumbs::D:thumbs2:

Charlie, On a serious note hope ya get to feelin better! :banghead:

clintonnut

back then they used two pieces of bark and some rope to tie it around your leg :thumbs::D

Brian

Or in my case 4 drum sticks and masking tape....

Thanks for the advice. I figured it would be a very tough decision on snowboarding and would rather not screw it up again..... Maybe I will hold off a little instead of a season pass just go up once or twice.

NOW, Since Charles asked for it, here's the story;

August 10th I was going to band camp for the second day. Had a great time goofing around etc. and at the end when people were leaving I saw this wall and for some reason just did it off a 3ft wall but when I landed I rolled my ankle (spraining it) and breaking the tibia. Unfortunately nobody saw it and no video or pictures :banghead: I just realized typing this that the ankle was giving me problems just 2 hours before it did this. WTF! I wish I had an excuse for my stupidity like being high or something :thumbs: .

As a side note, my AP Physics teacher asked me to figure out how many Newtons of force were exerted on my tibia when I landed and it was something like 11,600N :banghead:

I have gradually began walking on it and did only use one crutch today at school and none at home. Just trying to resist rushing it. The bone tells me when to sit down.

Charlie

Butch

Band camp? You play an instrument? Good for you!

clintonnut

This one time at band camp..... :thumbs2:

Yeah I've played sax for 6 years now and guitar for 8 years.

Charlie

clintonnut

Soooo nice to be done with crutches! :thumbs2:

stevasaurus

Good for you Charlie...hang in there and be smart mate.

:thumbs2:

clintonnut

I started easing out of the walking boot early last week and by Friday afternoon I was completely done with it! SO nice to put a PAIR of shoes on and go for a stroll. I can also drive the truck again! I'll just say the way I have been driving it, I am probably getting 5 gallons to a mile. Just so much fun to drive it again.

Charlie