Sign in to follow this  
wingrider

My day started slow but got really interesting

wingrider

Well this day started out slow and easy but buy noon it was really picking up. I was out in my garage getting my trusty 10 8 Speed ready for a day of grass mowing, and I was looking out the garage door when i saw this white van go by on the highway that somehow looked familiar. As I stood there

it stopped and started backing up, thats when I read the name on the door. It said Antique Archeology on the door, and there set Frank Fritz sitting in the passanger side looking at me. Now is when it really got interesting, out came

Mike Wolf from the other side.

They were wanting to know who lives north of town that had a Schwinn bike

in there front yard and if I had there phone number, I said yes but they just kept walking towards my garage and asking questions at a mile a minute.

They ask about the building which is 2 old one room school houses pulled together to form a L and did I do it. I said no it had been done about 50 years ago. By that time they were making themselves at home and searching for possible treasure. I told them I could make them a deal on some Wheel Horse tractors but they were more interested in 2 of my 3 motorcycles we have and were they for sale. Before I could answer about 8 more people pulled up in 2 more trucks and piled out and walked into the garage also. Mike found a old sign

that had been used years before when part of the garage was converted into a Hot Dog stand, it said the name of the owner and it had a Pepsi bottle cap on it that was almost 3' across and what did I want for it. After some offers and counter offers we settled on a price and about 4 people were climbing back to it and the bottle cap that was laying beside it.

There was one guy that I thought was the producer was asking about my wifes Honda Helix and what she wanted for it but we couldn't make a deal on it.

Mike found my 1971 Honda 750 and was asking all kinds of questions about it but we didn't make a deal on it either.

They were very nice but with all the other people that were with them it was very wild for about 20 minutes. I told them I had to have a picture with them so I gave one of there helpers the camera and he took several pictures of us 3.

By this time several neighbors had gathered out front and was wanting pictures also. Some of the crew had loaded up the Hot Dog sign in the truck and just as fast as they showed up they were waving good bye and leaving for there next great find that was down the road.

So I guess that will be my one brush with some one famous for a life time

I guess you will never be able to know what will happen to you when you get up in the moring.

Wingrider

AMC RULES

No interest in :banghead: ? I do feel sorry for the poor fellas, they really should get a hobby, or somethin'. :banghead: I wonder, did you ever get a chance to invite them in? :thumbs2:

C-Series14

I am sure you told them you collect WH's and have many RS friends who collect and the value of them to us collectors and if they ever run into any WH's to get ahold of you....right? :thumbs2:

JimD

Sounds like a fun day for you Wingrider, and please be sure to post some of those pics for us to admire! :thumbs2:

Martin

thats awesome :thumbs2:

:banghead:

JUSS10

very cool! I'm glad they weren't interested in your wheel horse tractors, last thing you need is to have a WH end up on tv on their show then everybody who has one will know they are collectable and want top dollar!

regardless, i love that show, I am quite jealous, it would have been cool to meet them!

Duff

Wow! Great day! I love that show as well, and I'd heard through various sources that Mike and Frank are really decent guys. Thanks for sharing!

Did the film crew shoot enough footage so we should be watching for you in an upcoming episode?

~Duff

wingrider

I'm afraid not, I think the only camera that was used was mine, sorry

Wingrider

sgtsampay

That was real cool story. Wow, I bet that caught you off by surprise. :thumbs2: Congrats on meeting the American Pickers.

dclarke

Cool Story, I watch that show all the time.

wingrider

Since yesterday I have thought of a dozen items that they could of been interested in. I have several old metal signs that they seem to really like to buy.

But hind site is always 20-20 It was quite a experience---------------

Wingrider

Don1977

NOT INTERESTED IN WHEEL HORSES! I would have thrown them right back in the street. :banghead: :thumbs2:

Rollerman

Justin has a point, the prices on some of these "Horse's" has went up considerably....could you imagine what prices would be if a telivised show like Pickers went after an RJ, haggleing on the price, buying, then showing an esitmated value they felt it could be sold for?

Chances are it reflect in the prices we pay as enthusiasts.

Wingrider...very cool story though & would have been cool to meet them too.

Glad they still have a blind eye for the GT's

Ken B

I'm into the vintage and antique outboard hobby as well. Now that the Pickers have picked a few old outboards on the show a bunch of us in the hobby have noticed that motors that are usually a tough sell at 50 bucks, people on C/L now want 500 for what used to be that 50 dollar motor at best! That ain't never gonna happen.

I really like the show and always watch it. From what you say, it sounds a little different from what we see on TV. The producer was asking about a Honda and the crew loaded the signs? Kinda lame! :thumbs2:

71_Bronco

Cool story to say the least.

Regardless of who they were, I would feel a little aggravated if they just walked right up and started making themselves at home in my garage, but that's just me.

Seems you handled it very well, and congrats on meeting them, I too enjoy the show and the cool stuff they dig up.

chesbaycruiser

I'm afraid not, I think the only camera that was used was mine, sorry

Let's see the shot(s)!!!

:thumbs2: