farmer

512-D

farmer

It's took me just under five years but I've tracked down my ideal mowing tractor. After deciding I needed a second tractor to save all the hitching/unhitching with a garden and lawn to tend, I figured a 512-D for the grass would be the ticket. A year later I gave up on that idea when a local-ish 518h came up on ebay....a good tractor, but in hindsight not really right for me. So I kept a eye out, this spring 3 or 4 512's sold on that auction site, but they were either too far away, too expensive or too knackered. :banghead:

Then a couple of months ago I go to a farm sale, last thing I'm thinking about is :thumbs2: and there in the line of spares/miscellaneous items is one. Well to me thats a sign. Price paid left me with money to hopefully put it right, transmission drive belt,engine iso mounts, gearbox seals have got me this far. There's more to do but thats the fun of it,...

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

My "new" line up. :banghead:

013.jpg

• Like 1

C-Series14

The ever so desired in America 512-D!!! Nice find! :thumbs2:

massey

I'd love to have one of those. :thumbs2:

Dresden Guy

FARMER .......... WHAT A GREAT LINEUP!!! Love that 512-D. Give us some more info about the powerplant.... type of diesel, specs, factory original in UK, etc., etc.? Inquiring minds want to know!! What are the differences, if any, from the US 520H and 520-8, other than the obvious one - the diesel?

What is "too knackered"?? :thumbs2: beat up? worn out? rusty?

Love your WHs :banghead:

JackC

First one of those that I have seen. Thanks for the pics.

I collector 1985 diesel Mercedes and Wheel Horse Tractors.

Would love to find a diesel Wheel Horse.

C-Series14

Just to help out a little...12hp Robin diesel, hence the "12" in 512. Overseas model. VIN's are B1-12R801 and C1-12R801 if you want to look up info on it.

Irv

Nice find, I've never seen one before.

rexman72

nice lineup you have going for yourself

can whlvr

we had a mortar mixer with a robin like that in it and the motor went through 3 mixers before it needed some work,thats alot of abuse and it would not die,great tractor,wish to have one of those models too :thumbs2:

TT

The '86 512-D was sort of a "sheep in wolf's clothing". :thumbs2:

The DY41D Robin diesel was actually rated @ 8.5hp, but torque must have been equivalent to a 12hp gas engine. (that's only my theory - but it sounds legit, right?)

The 512 is based on the 300 series - not the 500 series. They had the standard "narrow" hoodstand and the #110996 8 speed Uni-Drive with the 1" axles - just like the early 308/310/312 models.

Wheel Horse Kid

Wow, that looks awesome!

farmer

Thanks for the compliments fella's,

TT is right (as usual) the engine is rated at 8 1/2 hp but it performs as well, if not better than my 312, if I didn't know I'd say it was 14hp. And fuel usage is as good as reported by other diesel tractor fans, not half the amount.. but not far off. I can use red diesel now so big savings for me. :thumbs2::banghead:

One downside is noise, but it's a tractor..right, and earmuffs takes care of that.

The rest of the tractor is virtually identical to the 312..nice.

Steve, Knackered is used over here as you say, when something is worn right out, I looked it up and it comes from "knackers Yard" where a horse went in the end for glue making, so the :D link worked. :banghead:

muz123

i have never seen a wheel horse 512-d in my life......

bmsgaffer

Muz, buddy, you are digging up a whole bunch of really old threads and not adding much to them... :dunno:

Have you gotten lost on the search mechanism or have you been reading threads all day long!? :laughing-rolling:

:ychain:

Edited by bmsgaffer

Sparky

i have never seen a wheel horse 512-d in my life......

And you probably never will, it was only offered in Europe.

Mike...........

jamesgasho89

I think some youtube video is called for on this ratity!!