Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Big Moose in just over the Maine Canada border

MaineDad

How would you like to see this Big Boy on the road!

HugeMoose.jpg

BigMoose2.jpg

A lot of moose steak there :thumbs2:

MaineDad

Picture shot at McAdam New Brunswick Canada. Just north of Calais, Maine.

dgoyette

Wow - that is a beautiful animal. Living up to the "big as a moose" saying. Must be amazing seeing it in person.

MikesRJ

How would you like to see this Big Boy on the road!

Only with a valid license on my back and a gun in my hands.

dennist

:thumbs2: Wow, I shot one a few years ago, but that guy is huge!

SousaKerry

Umm kinda looks a bit Photoshopped

Butch

Wow that sucker is huge. Steroids?

C-Series14

Yea, if you do a search on it, there are several discussions on it. I saw the pic a couple years ago...

They do get big!

AMC RULES

Stop, that can't be real. Did you personally take that pict?

CasualObserver

Without a truck or something familiar in the picture for reference it is almost unbelievable. Picture perspective is strange. You don't know how zoomed in this picture is. How wide is the trail? Single car/truck or is it an ATV path?

Moose are the largest animals in the deer family, capable of growing to 7 foot tall at the shoulder and weighing in around 2000 lbs. Obviously not all are, and remember...averages are made up of little ones...and freakishly big ones!

C-Series14

If you do a search, there is a bunch of info. Most say that is an ATV trail. When I first looked at it, I thought it was a full size vehicle single lane but once again, from what I have read, it is an ATV trail so it is possible.

I saw a female moose up in Alaska once and for someone who has been around horses my entire life, the female moose was big!

Duff

I've seen a few hundred moose in my life in way-northern New Hampshire (Pittsburg, for the New Englanders on here that may be familar) near the Maine and Canadian borders. Never saw one quite that big, but I won't say they can't get that big. Handsome animal! :thumbs2:

Walked up on a few while bird hunting and I gotta tell you, fellas, there's a real pucker-factor when you find yourself face to face with 1,000+ lbs of critter with that kind of headgear and all you've got is a 20 ga. bird gun with #7-1/2 shot! :banghead:

Duff :banghead:

TT

Umm kinda looks a bit Photoshopped

Agreed. :thumbs2:

The first picture is a bit more convincing than the second, but only because the second picture is more obvious.

Seeing pictures like these reminds me of Colorforms. Anyone else remember them? :banghead:

can whlvr

itoo have seen hundreds of moose just north of me and that seems to be a bit too large,not saying it aint a full size size male,but does look a little fake

tunahead72

Seeing pictures like these reminds me of Colorforms. Anyone else remember them? :banghead:

Yep, I had a set when I was a young 'un, enjoyed the heck out of it! :banghead:

I think they're still making them, I actually bought a set for my son one Christmas a bunch of years ago -- he showed absolutely NO interest, I think it's still sitting in a closet somewhere! :D

I have to admit, though, I don't quite see the connection to the moose. :thumbs2:

TT

I have to admit, though, I don't quite see the connection to the moose. :thumbs2:

Colorforms = Take a cut-out of an object and stick it on a printed background.

If you had several different Colorforms sets, you could place cows on the moon, and Popeye could even ride upside-down under a spaceship. :banghead:

I definitely won't argue that moose get big (and powerful) though. I recall a story of one tearing the hood partially off an R model Mack when the impatient driver blew the air horn in an attempt to clear a bull from the highway. (not that truck drivers can't be storytellers though.) :banghead:

Rollerman

Even more odd than the size of the moose, is later it was seen in a harness pulling timber. :thumbs2:

moose_horse_harness.jpg

C-Series14

I thought he looked familiar!!! :thumbs2:

Gerry w

Even more odd than the size of the moose, is later it was seen in a harness pulling timber. :thumbs2:

moose_horse_harness.jpg

that's no joke, folks around here have been know to find young ones and try to keep them as pets. There was a rutting Moose in Maine one year that did a number to and Oldsmoblie car!

Check out "Pete the Moose" of Irasburg VT., a family friend "owns" him, and Pittsburg NH is near "Moose Alley" where folks go driving to see them.

They are so tall that you often do not see their eyes reflect as you might deer and other animals. Folks who hit them in cars/trucks will cut the legs out from under them and thus drive the antlers thought the windshield. There are road signs warning folks about the moose, aka swamp donkeys, that infest the woods. They are covered with ticks and bugs, and most are dumb as a post. Kids get a kick out of "Moose jacking" when you sit in your car and rev the engine, this makes the moose charge the car. The other game is "Moose driving," where you have a Moose walking down the road in front of you and you blow the horn, they will start to run and not know enough to leave the road, kids have run them to death at times.

The pic looks like a 4x4 trail and that looks like scrub pine, which doesn't grow real tall.

Kelly

Do the shadows on the ground pretty much look the same in both pics?? seems odd they would not change with something that big blocking the light.

C-Series14

Do the shadows on the ground pretty much look the same in both pics?? seems odd they would not change with something that big blocking the light.

Kelly, that is what I noticed also. I was trying to figure out where the sun was and why in both pics most of the spots of sun showing on the ground near the moose didn't change.

Butch

How would you tell which shadow is his with all the trees around it casting a shadow?

C-Series14

I am talking about the sun spots on the ground, there are 2 round ones in both pics that don't change. The bigger one to the right of them does change in the second pic. I am not getting to technical on this, I dabble in photography and notice little thing like that. :thumbs2:

The sun spots are in front of the board, the sun is on his left side, you can see his leg shadow in the second pic in the big sun spot on the right in front of the board...

The Bucks are on, back to the game...

AMC RULES

I dabble in photography and notice little thing like that. :banghead:

Ditto, I think the noticeable difference in contrast level between the first and second pict is rather unusual as well. :thumbs2: