Sign in to follow this  
Jim_M

The solution to high oil prices

Jim_M

OPEC sells oil for $136.00 a barrel.

OPEC nations buy U.S. grain at $7.00 a bushel.

Solution: Sell grain for $136.00 a bushel.

Can't buy it? Tough! Eat your oil!

Ought to go well with a nice thick grilled filet of camel ass!!!

Curmudgeon

Can't do that, that would be "unfair". Funny how it's only unfair when "we" do something, isn't it?

rustbucket

how about instead of selling them grain we turn it into E-83 ethonol and use it instead of their oil????

linen beige

how about instead of selling them grain we turn it into E-83 ethonol and use it instead of their oil????

Not trying to start an argument, or offend anyone, but that costs more than just buying the oil. It would drive up food prices even more, and not everything will run on it dependably. Better idea: DRILL IN OUR OWN RESERVES! The "experts" say it would take 5 to 10 years to get any new drillings to market. Our president tried to open up some of our reserves for drilling 7 years ago, and warned us all these prices were coming, But did the "Tundra huggers" listen?

And how about hydro power? Bet the folks in the midwest who have recently been given a first hand look at the power of water wish they could harness some of that energy for good use.

Curmudgeon

Now I'm proud to call myself a tundra hugger!!!!!!!

Of course Bush wants to drill all over the place, he's an oilman, money in his, his companies, and his families pockets.

On my way to the show, I saw some beautiful and graceful windmills along the top of some ridges. Yes, I'll admit, some trees had to be cut down to put them up, but we use lumber anyway, and at least the windmills are green energy once in place, they don't keep polluting the environment.

Drilling, polluting, and reeking havoc on the environment isn't the solution to high gas prices, getting away from gas to cleaner, friendlier, renewable sources of energy is. What has he done about THAT?! Besides take the solar panels off the top of the White House so it would be MORE oil dependent! :whistle:

linen beige

Bush's personal home in Crawford Tx is almost energy self sufficient, unlike Al Gore's monstrosity in Tenn. The oil industry may be bringing in astronomical amounts of "profits", but runs on a razor thin profit percentage, unlike say Walmart or Coca Cola, which both are raking in vastly more profits than any single oil company. Oil spills make headlines and are very very very ugly. And the clean up can take several years. Come look around eastern Ky. at what the coal industry has done to our mountains. That clean up will take MILLENNIA. Due to government reg.s (most of which I agree with) the oil industry may be one of the most evironmentally conscious ones out there. But following these reg.s costs money and that cost is passed on to us.

While you're in Pa. for the show, enjoying that beautiful countryside, see how much evidence you can find of oil industry damage to it. Now consider that Pa is the birthplace of the oil industry. Bet most of the damage you find will be related to the coal industry, it may look like steel was responsible, but coal fed the steel mills.

When you're admiring those windmills, think about how none are repaying for their installation costs....yet. They are still in their infancy. The large blades on high poles are not really cost effective. And most are owned by big utilities. the cost will still get passed to us. The newer styles, sort of like squirrel cage fans turned upright, can be mounted on rooftops and don't have to be continually reoriented to the wind direction. I would love to have one at my home.

I still can't understand why we let the potential power of our greatest resource, water, go pretty much wasted right on down stream.

Yes, yes, YES! We NEED to find ways to power our interests without oil. And that search needs to be stepped up dramatically. But while newer forms of energy are being sought out and we are still stuck to oil, we should be using our own.

Let's just not do completely away with gas. We still need it to feed our 'Horses.

rustbucket

i was just jokeing about the E-83 ethonlo but yeah we need greener power supplies and less coal and oil burning systems. but to say the least the reason gas is so high isnt the gas companies its the speculators in the stock market bringing the prices to ungodly recod highs. we get rid of the speculators and prices go back down.

CasualObserver

Sorry here guys... this is supposed to be a fun topic... this one's closed and moved to non-related discussion.