Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

Odd Spark Plug?

mowerman1193

Hey everyone, I encounter a spark plug issue..Check out this plug and then read my issue below

DSC04103.jpg

Ok so I have been wanting to change the plugs in my 99 Dodge Ram with the 5.9. They had looked rusty and like they may have been in it a while. I really don't drive the truck much and have not owned to all that long. Anyway I pull the first plug.........Did anyone notice anything odd about the plug in the photo above? If not go look at it again..Where are the threads and the rest of it, lol They stuck in the head, the plug was basically rusted in half and when i went to turn it out it broke off just below the hex nut. They look to be very thin metal right in this area. Dang cheap Champion plugs. I really am quite surprised that that company is still making plug after all these years of making junk.

Anyway any one have some good tips on how to get the rest of the plug out. I am done after this one is changed. I am taking it in for a tune up for the rest of them :D:thumbs::thumbs: ..I think I can already hear the mechanic at the shop I am going to take it to :thumbs2::banghead::banghead:

I did this a few days ago and I have been soaking it everyday with some PB Blaster for when I get brave enough to tackle the rest of this plug..

Kevin

can whlvr

one things for sure you dont want any of the remainder of that plug to fall into the cylinder,if it does the head will need to come off :thumbs2:

C-Series14

Wow. Big easy out maybe...

CRE1992

Try CRC Freeze off it cracks the rust! Or I think it is a 50/50 mix of paint thinner and ATF.

This happened me also, we tapped the threads that were stuck, and used a custom made puller on it to get it out spraying freeze off on it.

It was on my 1958 Massey Ferguson 50, it was my grandfather's but it sat for 8 years, but the plugs were about 12 years old, he never changed them because the tractor was a back up and normally stored in the back of the barn.

wheelhorse656

That happend to me on one of my b700 clintons i just went to sears bought an easy out and soaked the head with kroil for a few days then took the easy out to it and bada bing bada bum i had it out! :banghead: Good luck!!! :thumbs2:

mowerman1193

Well things really turned for the worst now...I was afraid of this but the easy out just broke off in there now...There is a slight edge that I might be able to tap the easy out backwards and grab it with some needle nose pliers..

I had to quite for today before I start using the truck for target practice, LOL

I don't want to have to do it but I may just pull the head off and set it on the work bench where you can actually get at it without hoses and wires being in the way, lol

Kevin

smoreau

This is a very common problem with the dodge 5.9 engine in there trucks. They do make a extractor that looks like a star bit that has tapered sides on it that you pound into the broken off plug base. It works very well and I have used it many times. If you use a easy out, you will have many 3-4-5 letter words coming from your mouth! it will end up destroying the threads in the cylinder head, and a insert will have to be installed. I think Leslie makes the broken plug remover and it looks like a torx bit with more points on it . It also has a tapper to it to cut into the sides of the broken off plug. go to your local parts store to see if they have it.

mowerman1193

This is a very common problem with the dodge 5.9 engine in there trucks. They do make a extractor that looks like a star bit that has tapered sides on it that you pound into the broken off plug base. It works very well and I have used it many times. If you use a easy out, you will have many 3-4-5 letter words coming from your mouth! it will end up destroying the threads in the cylinder head, and a insert will have to be installed. I think Leslie makes the broken plug remover and it looks like a torx bit with more points on it . It also has a tapper to it to cut into the sides of the broken off plug. go to your local parts store to see if they have it.

Thank you Scott, I know they have a lot of problems with plugs for this motor. In part because they put those stupid heat shields on them that just collect dirt and moisture. They say the Ford Triton motors are the same way.

Any ideas on getting the broke off easy out out of it now :thumbs2: I used the square tapered type. I am pretty sure I could bust it out but then I am sure all the pieces will go into the cylinder and that wouldn't be good..Unless I take the head off, don't want to have to do that but...might have too..

Kevin

smoreau

Thank you Scott, I know they have a lot of problems with plugs for this motor. In part because they put those stupid heat shields on them that just collect dirt and moisture. They say the Ford Triton motors are the same way.

Any ideas on getting the broke off easy out out of it now :thumbs2: I used the square tapered type. I am pretty sure I could bust it out but then I am sure all the pieces will go into the cylinder and that wouldn't be good..Unless I take the head off, don't want to have to do that but...might have too..

Kevin

Unplug the ignition coil and crank the engine over for about 15 seconds with the plug out. That should blow out the cylinder and the pieces out the plug hole. If that dosen't work, mig weld a nut to the easy out and try to pull it out. As for the ford 5.4 triton engine. I would like to personaly thank ford for this bad move on there part! I make good money fixing this problem!! there is a special tool that cost around $100 and it takes about 15-30 min. to remove a broken plug on these and if you x this by 8, thats a good job . Not good news for the owner, but from my point it's a good job as a mechanic. I like the champion one piece plugs for the replacement on the 5.4. they don't brake off like the originals.

KC9KAS

But use plenty of penetrating oil 1st!

C-Series14

Yea...forgot that...

shorts

the 5.9 in my dodge has 6 cylinders and no sparkplugs :thumbs2:

seriously now that you have a broken easyout added to the mix it'srobably time to pull the head or seek professional help/advise from your local automotive machine shop :banghead:

definately not the advise you wanted to hear but probably the right plan of attack to prevent further problems. might as well pull all of the plugs before you pull the head, if the other head needs to come off now is the easiest time.

Chrysler probably put mopar plugs in the engine at the factory for a reason, and Champion didn't make their plugs to last forever, but they should last longer than 2 trips down the dragstrip.

mowerman1193

the 5.9 in my dodge has 6 cylinders and no sparkplugs :thumbs2:

seriously now that you have a broken easyout added to the mix it'srobably time to pull the head or seek professional help/advise from your local automotive machine shop :banghead:

definately not the advise you wanted to hear but probably the right plan of attack to prevent further problems. might as well pull all of the plugs before you pull the head, if the other head needs to come off now is the easiest time.

Chrysler probably put mopar plugs in the engine at the factory for a reason, and Champion didn't make their plugs to last forever, but they should last longer than 2 trips down the dragstrip.

Yes my son it razzing me about the diesel thing. When I bought the truck he kept telling me to get diesel. Now he is telling me if you had bought a diesel you wouldn't have this problem. LOL

I have a couple things I plan to try and if they fail too then I will pull the head. Might be time for some upgrades if I pull the heads. I know I can get the easy out out of the plug hole...but I have no idea how much of it will get into the cylinder when I do it, LOL.

This easy out turns out to be a cheap what looks /seems like a cast one. As I am able to chip pieces of it away like as if it is cast iron. This could be good as long as I can keep chipping it away and non goes into the cylinder. So far so good with this method. But I am getting close to the end of it and worried about the tip falling in as it was a tapered one. This will teach me to use a high quality tool in this type of situation for sure, LOL

I a good note.. I did turn the motor over by hand to bring this piston to the top just in case something did happen like this. I might be able to get a magnet to get anything that may fall in back out (I hope anyway, lol ).

Kevin

shorts

use your shop vac as you chip away to suck up the debris, reduce it down to a managable size with a piece of hose and sone duct tape. RIDGID pipe tools used to make a quality ez out set with splined shafts that you drove into the offending part and then slid a matching splined nut over the shaft to remove it. If you need to run a tap down the threads put a load of grease on it to catch the chips & stuff.

contrary to popular practise do not use neversieze on spark plugs, a drop of oil on the threads and then install finger tight and torque to spec. The compounds in neversieze don't play nice with combustiun byproducts and the lubricity changes the torque value on the threads.

mowerman1193

Thanks for the tips, I have thought about using the shop vac. I have been using a strong small magnet to pick up the pieces so far its working good.

On a side note: I read a something online about bringing the piston up to the top ( as I did ) then fill the cylinder up with foam shaving cream to catch any small chips etc from going down into the cylinder. Then shop vac the shaving cream out. Anyone ever heard of this or any other similar things?

Kevin

shorts

shaving cream is a new one to me, I'd be concerned that it might suspend something in the top of the cylinder where you couldn't get it with the vacuum. the magnet is a good idea too, do you have one of the telescopic pocket magnets that will fit thru the sparkplug hole for a final cleanout?

mowerman1193

Yes I have the telescoping one but its not real small, it might fit through the plug hole after I get the plug out but it would probably be a tight fit. It sure is a powerful one as its hard to get the thing where I want it. Its always pulling and sticking somewhere else, lol I bet it would be hard to get this one through the hole as it would be sticking to everything, lol

I am going to try to get one with a smaller diameter magnet on it that would definitely go through the plug hole,

Not sure if I will get much time this weekend to work on it but I hope so as finally the weather will not be dropping rain, lol

Kevin