Sign in to follow this  
C-85

Wheel horse snowmobile question

C-85

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if Wheel Horse snowmobiles were actually made by W/H or if they were made by another company?

I did ride a on W/H snowmobile many years ago and I think that had a Sachs engine on it. It didn't go very well as it had a very smooth track on it with hardley anything for traction, so it spun a lot.

C-85

whfan74

It is my understand that they had a Kohler under the hood. :thumbs2:

Never rode on one myself........they are definitely cool looking!

CasualObserver

Wheel Horse made them. They bought the Sno-Flite line of snowmobiles in 1969. (Company and Factory) They owned and manufactured sleds from mid 1969-1972. They discontinued production and sold off surplus parts to Parts Unlimited in Wisconsin. They continued support until those parts ran out. See my webpage if you want to see/read more. I spent a lot of time researching, and have spoken with people who were at Parts Unlimited when they got the parts, as well as an engineer from WH who got sent to Des Moines to draft the parts manuals.

http://www.vintagewheelhorses.com/snowmobiles.html

And yes Scott, they were Kohlers... but two-stroke. I think the first year may have had a JLO in the 295 model, but the rest were Kohlers.

HorseFixer

And yes Scott, they were Kohlers... but two-stroke. I think the first year may have had a JLO in the 295 model, but the rest were Kohlers.

I have an old qt can unopened of Kohler 2 stroke oil... :thumbs2: Now I just need one of those sleds to put it in! :banghead: