MikesRJ

Fence-1.jpg

Fence-2.jpg

Fence-3.jpg

Fence-4.jpg

Fence-5.jpg

Rollerman

Looks good Mike.

I have been working on a fence project too after work putting up a 6' vinyl privacy fence around my back yard.

Sparky

Looks sturdy! So whats its purpose? Keep your animals in? Keep someone elses animals out? Security?

Mike........

jdog_kustoms

looks good is this for the big malimute ??? or for the wife to stick you in when your bad :thumbs2: :banghead:

AMC RULES

How are you going to hide your tractor collection behind a fence like that? :banghead:

I'm kidding you know, your hard work shows. Are you going to stain it black? :thumbs2:

Coadster32

:thumbs2: Nice fence indeed!

MikesRJ

Looks sturdy! So whats its purpose? Keep your animals in? Keep someone else's animals out? Security?

Mike........

The fence's purpose is to keep the Malamutes in, since they like to run. 3 feet outside the fence is an invisible fence which will keep them from getting onto, or tunneling under, the fence. It's 5' tall to thwart jumping it.

I still have one gate to finish, the posts need to be trimmed down to correct height above the top rail line, and the cap plates installed. Each cap plate will have a solar light installed in its center as well.

The fence will eventually be stained a darker shade of brown and we'll be spraying pre-colored Thompson Water Seal. The jury is still out whether it'll be the honey oak or nutmeg brown color though. The wood was pretty green when installing it, so it'll take a while to dry enough before applying the Thompson's.

The "horses" will soon reside in their new stables yet to come. That'll go in in place of the sheds on the other side of the property.

shorts

lots of hard work, looks good :thumbs2:

whfan74

Looks great Mike! :thumbs2:

Definitely a lot of sweat was put in to that project!

CasualObserver

Mike... nice looking fence. I really like the solar light cap things, they look nice on decks... I imagine they'll set off your fence nicely in the dark.

I would reconsider the Thompson's stuff personally. Maybe you've already had better luck with it, but for me it doesn't last. Went on like paint and washed out in a year. (it was the semi-transparent stuff, applied to pressure washed/dried wood) I bought a stock color, and what was in the cans was nothing close to what the label said and showed or what the "sample" looked like. Best luck I've had is with the Pittsburgh Paint Ultra stains. Costs more, but I got the color I actually wanted, and get about three years with that, and it goes on very thin. Like I said... costs more up front, but I only have to buy it every couple years instead of annually. YMMV

JimD

Nice fence Mike! :banghead: Is that your neighbor peeking over in that one pic? :thumbs2:

Donner_peeking_over_fence_7-08.jpg

MikesRJ

Mike... nice looking fence. I really like the solar light cap things, they look nice on decks... I imagine they'll set off your fence nicely in the dark.

I would reconsider the Thompson's stuff personally. Maybe you've already had better luck with it, but for me it doesn't last. Went on like paint and washed out in a year. (it was the semi-transparent stuff, applied to pressure washed/dried wood) I bought a stock color, and what was in the cans was nothing close to what the label said and showed or what the "sample" looked like. Best luck I've had is with the Pittsburgh Paint Ultra stains. Costs more, but I got the color I actually wanted, and get about three years with that, and it goes on very thin. Like I said... costs more up front, but I only have to buy it every couple years instead of annually. YMMV

The Thompson's I plan on using isn;t the semi-transparent version. It is the clear Thompson

VinsRJ

That RJ will do the trick working that fence line.... :thumbs2:

dclarke

Nice project Mike, I like the idea of the lights on the posts. :thumbs2:

squonk

I've heard of a wood protector called Cedar Shield. Supposedly you put it on once and that it. I'm looking for someone who has tried it. I have about 800' of fence that I spray with a TIP Tools Turbine HLVP. Took about 3 hrs to do both sides. It's the first job my 704 got after I bought it 2 yrs ago. Hooked up the yard cart and put the turbine in it instead of dragging things all over. Wheel Horse comes through again! :thumbs2:

http://store.parsonspestcontrol.com/petri-...CFYio4AodbB0DWQ

MikesRJ

When I bought the materials, the local fence place had a hard time (for reasons unknown, as they are a normally carried item) getting the 7' 4x6's I wanted, so they gave me eight footers for the price of the seven footers. I was kind of miffed at first when I realized I would have to cut all these posts to length, or auger deeper holes and buy more Sakrete. Then I figured out something I could do with the cut-offs, they make nice pavers. Certainly won't last as long as stone pavers, but the hole will be there already when I get ready to pour permanent walks. Matching raised-bed planters to the left of the sidewalk coming next.

gate-walk.jpg

stevasaurus

Very nice project Mike...the idea of the solar lights is a very nice touch. :thumbs2:

rmaynard

Good fences do make for good neighbors, but how do your neighbors like it?

...and I spotted an oops with the gate in the last picture.

Duff

Nice work, Mike!

...and is that a Golden I see in the last picture? Terrific dogs!

Duff :thumbs2:

MikesRJ

...and I spotted an oops with the gate in the last picture.

Not an oops, a "planned deviation".

I'll update the picture soon as the entry way planters are completed now ...

MikesRJ

Entrance and walkway/planters are done:

Fence_EntryPlanter.jpg

Fence_Walkway.jpg