Sign in to follow this  
TT

Computer overhaul

TT

It's been close to 18 hours now since I saved everything worth saving and wiped the hard drive clean on the old Dell. It seems to be working a lot better, but I did lose a few important "favorites" when I transferred them to a disc. :whistle:

All of my manuals, drawings, and pictures are now on CD's - which will slow ME down a little, but not the 'puter. :D

I still have a ways to go before it "feels like home" again, but I was tired of fighting with it all the time. It is in need of additional RAM, but for the price of the paired sticks this one uses, I could buy a new 'puter and have money left over! (but I don't have the money for either right now. :D )

I'm curious to see how the chatroom will treat me, and hopefully I won't see anymore pesky "virtual memory low" messages! :WRS:

nylyon

Terry, what Dell do you have, and how much memory does it have now?

TT

It's a Dell Dimension 8250. It only has 256MB of RAM (2X 128MB), but it's that goofy RDRAM that must be installed in pairs. (supposed to be PC1066 too)

Here's a LINK to some on ebay.

nylyon

I had a bunch of chips laying around here, but none which will work with yours. Sorry :whistle:

TT

Thanks for trying, Karl. :WRS:

At least my PC's memory capability is still better than mine! :whistle:

CasualObserver

I just looked at my stash too... I've got some extras, but nothing that will help you either. sorry.

perry

i dont have any sticks either.

its about time for me to do a clean slate also. :whistle:

Curmudgeon

256MB??? Man, talk about running the minimum! That's what this computer had when I got it. I like it MUCH better with 2 gig. Even at that, the rest is showing it's age, but like yours, isn't likely to be replaced any time soon.

TT

This one is 6 years old, but when it was bought, it was supposed to be set up for gaming, etc. I can't believe that's all the RAM it came with, and at the time it was capable of playing any new game on the market. :D

I suppose I could install another 256 or 512MB just to see if it makes a difference, but I'd rather spend the money on TRACTOR STUFF! :WRS: (or home heating oil. :whistle: )