Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Stink Bug Trap

rmaynard

Take a look at this video. It is a homemade stink bug trap that can be assembled in 5 minutes for under $7.00.

http://www.wpxi.com/video/27942903/index.html

I made my first one tonight and it is sitting on my screened porch, armed and ready for action.

I will report back to everyone tomorrow and let you know how many stink bugs I caught overnight.

:hide:

mavfreak

I have three used everynight for a week. I got two and my wife still wakes me up in the middle of the night to remove one. Haven't had much luck

rmaynard

The jury is still out on mine. Had it on last night, but the temperature got down to 50. Stink bugs were few and far between. Only had one in the trap this morning.

More later...

I hope.

mavfreak

bob I believe I may need a different light. Here in the Pittsburgh area you couldn't find any for days. I may see if I can find the one he recommends using and see if I get better results. I'll keep you posted

varosd

I heard that Penn State Ag dept has a lot of research going about the stink bugs since the impact the fruit and veggie growers. The trap looks like the one you can make to attract yellowjackets, wasps,etc. you just subsitue some soda for the LED light and the insects climb in and drown...works great! I think with the outside warmer weather, all the stink bugs are out doing stink bug business...but wait until the Fall comes around again. I know they are in behind the vinyl siding on the house and get in through any spaces. makes you wonder about all the new construction and "weather proofing" that should have been done to seal your house for energy savings!!

Anyone with the cement board or masonite style siding having issues?

stoneman

I built a similar contraption to deal with fruit flies. I used a smaller water bottle, and put some strawberries in the bottom. It works great. (First I took a big bite out of each strawberry.) :hide:

mavfreak

I built a similar contraption to deal with fruit flies. I used a smaller water bottle, and put some strawberries in the bottom. It works great. (First I took a big bite out of each strawberry.) :WRS:

I would let a bottle of wine sit with just a little of wine left in bottom works so well on the fruit flies and those pesky little drain flies!

P.S. don't tell steve that I don't finish the wine then use to to catch bugs :hide: