Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

What I have been up to.

sgtsampay

Hi all. For the last two weeks i have been doing lots of mowing but I have also been working something special projects. The first is my pride an joy: My very own workbench that i made myself. This is my first really carpentry project that i have completed and it came out not to bad. First is a "mini" bench that has my drill press and soon to be anvil. Beside that is my main workbench with a very old blacksmith 5in pole vise. I also have a metal plate that the vise connects to and then goes to the left so I can have a very solid surface for whatever I need. I also got myself a tool box that i have placed all of my tools in. Lastly, I help did the wiring for the 6 outlets and then positioned a nice overhead light above my bench. I think it turned out great.

100_0567.jpg

100_0568.jpg

100_0570.jpg

The second major project I worked on was my push mower. It all started last Monday, when one of my family members hit a large rebar with my push mower causing much damage to the old briggs 6Hp engine. I as able to order a decent looking HF clone but I needed the mower for this weekend, so off i go tring to firgure something out. Well, my luck came around when I happened to stoop at a local junk yard and found an old toro push mower with a suzuki 2 stroker on it. I got the mower for a good price and took it home to see if the motor ran. After a good carb cleaning, and external cleaning, the mower started first pull and ran great. So off comes the motor and is swapped with the broken briggs on my good mower deck.

100_0571.jpg

100_0572.jpg

I then had to come up with a back plate for the mower as the old system for my gator blade didn't work on the suzuki:

100_0578.jpg

The back plate is a 1/4in plate of steel with 2 3/8 threaded holes and then a main 5/8th threaded hole. Here is what it looks like with the blade. Not to bad ehh?

100_0574.jpg

100_0573.jpg

So, after the plate got made, I then used it for mowing and it worked great after that. No issues and i love the little Suzuki. It has great power and a unique sound. LOL. Now my next project is to refurbish a 6x10ft homemade trailer for the show i na few weeks. Man, I wish I had more time...

dgoyette

Nice workbench Bobby! Looks nice and sturdy too.

VinsRJ

Looks good from here too...... :hide:

stevasaurus

Great looking bench Bobby...I see the tunes, but where is the cup holder? :WRS: I really like that old vise you have there. :hide:

mr.pipes

It all started last Monday, when one of my family members hit a large rebar with my push mower causing much damage to the old briggs 6Hp engine.

Hey Bobby, Did you look at the engine to see what the problem is? It could be as simple as a sheared flywheel key. They are designed to give if the blade hits a solid object such as a piece of rebar. Sort of like shear pins on a snowblower.

Anyways, nice job on the work bench and good luck on the trailer.

P.S. Go and remove or mark the location of that piece of rebar.

dennist

Nice bench Bobby.

PS-I got the mail you sent me. Thanks

shorts

nice bench :hide: looks like a good start on your shop.

HorseFixer

Nice bench Bobby :hide: Yep we all need our MAN CAVE'S :beer: I have had so many projects the last couple months the problem is its hard to keep them in order! :disgust: First the 417A then the Sprinkler system + multiple many projects in between. :WRS: Today Im planning to straighten it up again. On yer mower, I agree with Pipes, When you hit something like that it usually bends the shaft to where engine wont turn over or shears a key or both. Goodluck with it. :)

Cheers ~Duke

:hide:

sgtsampay

Thanks guys for all of the compliments. The bench I'm happy with but it has to prove its worth to me first I guess. I'm still not sure if it was worth the cost yet. I guess time will tell.

The mower motor hit the rebar real hard. The engine didn't shear any keys so the crank must have taken the blow, as it now got a shack to it and for the little i used it for, it smoked like crazy. It would also knock under any load at all and under really heavy load, it sound pretty bad. Ir would also be hard starting even if warm. So, that why I got the new engine for it. The funny part is, the suzuki engine was a last min engine that i came across and the family member felt so bad that she ordered a nice looking engine from HF but it didn't come in till two days ago and i needed the mower, so that why I spent so much time on the suzuki motor.

The problem is, I like the suzuki alot, so i will just keep the new motor as a spare and use the suzuki for now.