Sign in to follow this  
mavfreak

School

mavfreak

That's right I'm going back to school!

In 95 I graduated from auto mechanics school and went to work!

In 97 I was offered a job working in a fab shop which I would be starting at over double the money than what I was earning as a mechanic, so I jumped ship and went there for almost 13 years! While there I bid my way into the welding department and primarily used a tig welder.

Anyway they sold the company and the new owners moved they fab shop to Mexico. So I looked for work for almost a year now, because of my very specialized welding experience it was hard to come by.

So one day my wife and I were reading the paper (shes unemployed also) and she was pointing out jobs for me in there and she starts saying about auto technicians needed. Light bulb!

because my job went to Mexico I get free schooling after much debating and research I decided that's were I'm going to go. So come May 23rd I start school! This time it an associates degree!

O boy!

VinsRJ

Congrats and good luck...... Change is not always a bad thing and there is always new paths to blaze! :thumbs:

racinfool40

:thumbs: Good luck Mav!!! Being a layed off welder also I know the feeling..Since I have started working on lawn mowers-Lawn tractors-chain saws-weed eaters and anything to make ends meet and now so busy I don't know were to start!!! Hope all works out GOOD!!! :wh:

C-Series14

Go get'em school boy!!! :thumbs: never to old to further your edumacation!

Horse-Drawn

Good for you! :wh: I went the opposite route... 2yr EET degree then auto mechanic for 20yrs. Now, I'm using my degree & wondering why I didn't in the first place. :thumbs: However, both are VERY handy in my hobby of small engines and power toys :D

Hope you find the same happiness & success!

mavfreak

It'll be strange being the old man in the class, The one instructor I met is 4 years older than I.

sgtsampay

Congrats sir! Don;t feel bad about being a little older in class. When I went for my first degree, two of the guys were in there early 60s and getting their computer AS degree. They were the top students in the class. Age has nothing to do with it, IMHO.

JimD

Best of luck to you Heath. :thumbs:

Gunny

Good for you to go back to school. I began college in '75, majored in Rugby, Girls, and Beer for 3 semesters. Took a 22 year break. Went back, oldest one in every class, even most instructors. Completed in 2000 at age of 44. Thinking about going back when I retire again.

Horse'n Around

This is great news. Your never too old to back to school.Before I broke my back racing MX,I was getting ready to go to college to get a degree to be a teacher, I was 38 at the time.

multihobbyguy

"It'll be strange being the old man in the class, The one instructor I met is 4 years older than I. "

Every new semester is fun. I walk in to at least one class at the beginning of each semester and at least a couple of the younger students ask me about the syllabus and what the schedule will be like. I am not that old. I have had 1 teacher so far that I was older than. Good luck on your new endeavour.

shallowwatersailor

:thumbs: Good for you! It's never too late. Ten years ago a personal change in life put me back in school at the half century mark to finish my BA. I WAS the old man in class - in every class. This time I didn't stop until after having a post-graduate degree conferred.

John

sscotsman

because my job went to Mexico I get free schooling after much debating and research I decided that's were I'm going to go. So come May 23rd I start school! This time it an associates degree!

O boy!

sounds great Heath! :thumbs:

I have heard about some tuition programs for people who's jobs have been outsourced, but I havent been able to find any specifics on it..What is the name of the program you are under? is it a Federal or state program?

There is about 99% odds I am getting laid off in September..(Kodak, Rochester NY)

Im considering re-training for a complete career change..

starting to look into it right now..

thanks,

Scot

mavfreak

I have heard about some tuition programs for people who's jobs have been outsourced, but I havent been able to find any specifics on it..What is the name of the program you are under? is it a Federal or state program?

There is about 99% odds I am getting laid off in September..(Kodak, Rochester NY)

thanks,

Scot

Well this is a state thing and federal that is called TRA TAA but i would not have gotten this if the company I worked for didn't sign up for the program. I know in PA the is other programs through the unemployment that you can use so good luck

sscotsman

thanks,

Scot

Well this is a state thing and federal that is called TRA TAA but i would not have gotten this if the company I worked for didn't sign up for the program. I know in PA the is other programs through the unemployment that you can use so good luck

Thanks Heath!

I will check it out..

I might not qualify anyway..but its worth looking into..

Scot

mavfreak

Thanks Heath!

I will check it out..

I might not qualify anyway..but its worth looking into..

Scot

I would hope NY is like PA there is alot of programs that they have to keep you working or get you working. The Government really does want you to work it does benefit them! And if that means you go back to school then they have programs for that also.

Good luck Scot!

mavfreak

tomorrow is the big day

let everyone know how it goes

tunahead72

Have fun, and get a good night's sleep tonight! :hide:

mavfreak

Went well tired and as of right now its a lot of review for me, such as reading micrometers and grades of bolts and what is a 4 stroke engine.

tunahead72

So, how was your first week of school? :hide:

mavfreak

As stated alot of reveiw. We got some shop time and I found I was helping some others that need help. There is one kid who is very smart asks great questions in class but i the shop he didn't even know how to read a socket to tell what size it was. I guess we are all there to learn something. Other than that its alot of fun

SousaKerry

I think I have been the king of career change and always seem to land on my feet.

Started out a farmer dad sent me to a trade school after high school to become a machinist. Bounced around a few shops in town trying to be one, learned more in the 1st month on the job then 9 months of trade school...

wound up at a wood shop programming CNC routers, went back to a machine shop, tried to be a supervisor at a warehouse, moved to Michigan to get a job :hide:

became a quality technician bounced around a few shops and now I design and build packaging machinery at Dart Container

Along the way I went to school several times but never finished, now in the fall I will be going back for an engineering degree hopefully.

good luck

mavfreak

Today I finished my first 8 week semester. It was engine class and I rocked at it, 100% test and 100% shop and 99% attendance. Not to shabby! I have been really enjoying myself. I was more of like a second instructor in the shop rather than a student. Like I said a lot of review for me> I went through this program in the mid nineties, and i never really stopped working on cars even after I got the fab shop job.

SAM58

What ever it takes... :woohoo:

Just don't get caught looking up wheel horse manuals in class. :D

rmaynard

99% attendance.

Okay, where were you those coupe hours you missed? Out looking at a Wheel Horse you saw the day before I bet. :woohoo:

Good job Heath. :D