Sign in to follow this  
dkopp

Wanted: Airboat

dkopp

Anybody got an airboat they want to sell? We have had 15.5 inches of rain since Thursday midnight. This region normally gets about 40 to 42 inches of rain per year. My house is on the west side of Poplar Bluff and I am high and dry. But those on the lower east side are all under.

Here is an interesting web site on the river levels and rainfall amounts.

USGS Website for Black River @ Poplar Bluff

You can tell the levees failed as the water has started to recede on the river the past day. This area is super flat so the water has no where to go normally. There are drainage ditches all throughout the bootheel area as long ago this area was all swamp, so I'm told. That's good if your a rice farmer, bad if you plant anything else.

Flood pictures of Poplar Bluff

I'm predicting a vary bad year for mosquitoes.

300zx

Dan, I wish you guys well in Poplar Bluff. I was raised in NW Missouri in the hills off the Missouri River bottom so I can relate to what you are saying. My brother still lives there on the family farm. Last year they were flooded the same way. Ruined all the river bottom crops and homes. Seems like the smell lasts forever, even after the water recedes.

Good luck,

John in Virginia

dkopp

Thanks for the well wishes John, right now we are getting pummeled again. Had a good hail storm earlier today, some as big as golf balls, most were about dime size. Just got word that the waters at Lake Wapeppello are going to go over the spillway within the next two days. Supposedly the waters going into the lake are about 70,000 CFS (cubic feet per second) and the dam can only handle about 10,000 CFS. So 60,000 CFS of water is due to roll off the spillway and eventually end up in the already flooded farmlands. To heck with the airboat, anybody got an ark?

Gerry w

Find that ARK Dan?

And is there room on it for more?

My house is up high on a hill over looking the Barton River, yesterday I couldn't make it to school to teach because all three routes out were covered by running water. The roads are gone, the town road guy, who is great, has been working 24-7 to try to repair what was laid to waste. He has one road "passable" now, but we are going to be hammered again today. Sooooo, no work today as well.

All of Vermont is getting it's butt kicked! Hope your doing okay!

Gerry

dkopp

Gerry - I'm doing better than most, I'll pick you up with the ark as I drift by, we'll grab the town's road guy too and his equipment as I'm sure we'll need it when we land.

The Black River is going down! That's good news. It's not raining, that's even better news. The bad news is Lake Wappapello is just cresting and is poised to go over the emergency spillway and contribute to the flood waters.

Gerry w

Some good news eh??

And your okay Dan?

Lake Champlain is almost two feet over flood stage! It's a mess, I don't know how long it's going to take to clear and fix this mess!

I'll keep an eye out for your Ark, we'll be ready!

Gerry

Duff

Gerry, Channel 9 out of Manchester, NH was showing some pretty formidable flooding on the Connecticut up in the Pittsburg/Stewartstown areas this morning. Hardly ever floods around there. And Fox 44 was showing the conditions around Lake Champlain. Dang! :wh:

I'm a month behind getting my Safety Boat into the river this spring because of the raging current and inability to get my dock structure put in. :D

What a year! :D

Duff :thumbs:

dcrage

Heh Dan

My knowledge of SE Mo is limited even though I am a life-long resident of the state -- So this AM I pulled out my old and musty MO Hwy Dept road map (1981-82 version with a picuture of the young Gov. Kit Bond on it) -- Anyway I see the Lake Wappapello is on the St. Francis and that Clearwater is the lake on the Black River -- So how does the overflow from Wappapello get to Poplar Bluff??

Boy, I need to get down to that part of the state more -- Love those clear, calm(!) Ozark streams

Thanks

dkopp

Dave,

The two systems are distinct but the biggest concern is flooding below Poplar Bluff. There is almost no elevation change between the two flood plains in the region between Poplar Bluff and the nearby town of Fisk or Neelyville, which is on the St. Francis river (downstream of the Lake Wappapello dam). I'd say that there is only about 5 feet of elevation change between the two. The run over from Lake Wappapello would probably not impact Poplar Bluff at all, but it would impact Broseley. That is the point where the two flood plains are the same elevation. Talk about your double whammy.

dkopp

Here is an interactive map you can customize to see the flood plains. You can add or subtract layers to see different information. You can also see elevations if you use the Tools menu.

Missouri Map Room

dkopp

Today I made my way down into the bootheel and over to the New Madrid power plant. I took Hwy 53 for the most part and boy was the smell overwhelming due to the flood waters. It literally smelled like a sewage lagoon on a hog farm. P-U!