Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Concealed Firearm

mattd860

I'm in the market for a good firearm, revolver or semi-auto that is easily concealable yet still effective. I want this gun on my hip at all times and be ready for self defense purposes only. So far I've checked out a Glock 26, Gock 30, and Para 1911 (45acp). I want a 9mm or 45acp. I'm leaning towards the Glock but love the looks of the 1911 and some Sigs. I also love how the 1911 feels in my hand but I like the Glock's added magazine capacity and reliability.

I don't want this to be a thread comparing the strengths and weaknesses of the different guns on the market since it will mostly be comparing apples to oranges. I just want to know what you conceal carry and why.

Thanks! :thumbs:

Trouty56

I conceal nothing and carry nothing. You should too. The thought of killing a son or daughter chills me especially if there was only a fear factor or something like road rage. Life and death???....I'll take my chances. I have more fear of my kids dying from somebody that gets pissed off in traffic and brings a gun into the situation. Death is permanent!! :thumbs:

mattd860

I conceal nothing and carry nothing. You should too. The thought of killing a son or daughter chills me especially if there was only a fear factor or something like road rage. Life and death???....I'll take my chances. I have more fear of my kids dying from somebody that gets pissed off in traffic and brings a gun into the situation. Death is permanent!! :thumbs:

Thank you for your off topic opinion. Knowing WHEN to use a firearm is the most important factor of owning one and road rage is NOT one of those times. Chances are 95% of concealed carriers will never NEED to use their firearm but it's not worth being one of the 5% that needs one but doesn't have one.

Losing my Son or Daughter or Wife in a situation where my firearm could have saved their lives is just as as scary as your examples.

I would appreciate this thread remain off topic. If no one here carries a firearm, then mods, please feel free to close this thread. Thanks

puddlejumper

Choose what is comfortable in your hands and on your hip. Go to a range and shoot a few with different grip styles sounds a little funny but if it fits your hand it will shoot were you point If it doesnt it will be harder to hit where you aim. Could make a world of difference in the heat of the moment. They are not conceal weapons but a ruger single action revolver is my choice in pistols dot a squirrels eye with the 22 or a deers heart with a 45 long colt at a 100 plus yards but they fit me.

C-Series14

I bought a Springfield Armory XD .45 but it is a just a little big for CCW. They now have a smaller version and that is what I am getting next.

n1defan

I have a colt 1911. Its been a very good side arm. It is a little on the big side but has been a very reliable weapon of choice. I have been caring it for about twenty years and have never had to use it. I have been thinking about going to a Beretta nine mill, because of size. I personally do not like a Glock because of the design of the trigger. But once again like what puddlejumper said make sure that it fits you and that you are comfortable with it. Good luck with what ever you decide. :thumbs:

Jim_M

I've had a Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP for about 30 years now. It's 3/4" shorter than a 1911 so it's a little easier for me to conceal.

kloe0699

I have a 9mm Beretta that I like pretty well. My brother has a sig p220 that I like better though. It all comes down to what shoots and carries best for you. For me I wouldn't want anything larger framed than either of these to carry.

Daddy Don

I have a sig 40 that is great. Get what fits your had grip the best and test shoot it first.

Horse'n Around

You should choose whatever fits your hands and needs the best. I have owned Glocks, and XDs,1911's and a Sig. My duty weapon was a Glock but it always felt a bit off in my hand as did my XD. My Beretta 92FS fits my hand perfect so that is my choice. The XD fits my brother Virgil best and the Sig works best for my other brother Tye.They all are fine weapons. Personally I would ttry as many as choices as possible and see what works best for you.There is also the Smith and Wesson M&P which is an excellent too. Another thing to think about is caliber such as 380,9mm,40,357 Sig and 45 ACP.Opinions here will vary in a big way, some prefer the 40 S&W or the 45ACP, I carry the 92 FS which is a 9mm but if I wanted to I could have opted for the Beretta 96FS which is chambered in 40 SW but I wanted the 9mm.

John

theoldwizard1

I don't know if these are still in production, but if you are looking for large caliber (9mm, .45) "pocket weapon look at AMT .45 ACP Backup

MikesRJ

H&K USP .45 w/ 230 grain Hydro-Shok Hollow Points, 13 round capacity w/ one in the tube. Not the most concealable, but VERY effective. The Hydro-Shok's almost make the 13 round capacity pointless. Unless, of course, you find yourself in a target-rich environment.

Gene_S

Here is a small thread on your topic...

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=51069

Gotta protect yourself and your family!!! I have a Browning Buck Mark for protection at home... Easy for the wife to handle...

Duff

I'm former law enforcement and a lifetime gun owner and permitted carrier. When I do carry it's a Colt .380 Auto (some refer to them as a 9mm short). As light as it sounds, most self defense situations are going to be in very close quarters. A well placed shot will do the job as well as a heavier round and the chance for collateral damage is significantly decreased. At home I keep a S&W Model 19 Combat Masterpiece in .357 Mag strategically placed where both I and my wife can get to it in an emergency.

Duff :thumbs:

VinsRJ

I carry a S&W 340PD 5-shot .357Magnum... its crazy light even when fully loaded. There have been a couple of times were I've actually forgoten that I've got it with me, its that small and light. With 357s it takes a lot to get use to d/t the recoil. For reduced recoil 38 Special +P rounds work better. I've practiced a lot with this revolver and have solid control of multiple shot recoil handling. Now this is not a range gun with a 1 7/8" barrel.... its stricky personal defense. :thumbs: :thumbs:

buckeyebill440

I still prefer my old S&W 669. Medium frame, 9mm. It just feels right, shoots great, and conceals easy.

wh-jason

i have an auto ordinance 1911 .45 acp... its good to carry on your hip but, to conceal it is another story all together, far too heavy especially when you add the extra mag in the holster. basically when i cary it in the back of my pants i cant keep my pants up.

as far as people who think noone should carry weapons, im very dissappointed in the ignorance of some people. im sure they are the ones who run around preaching about all the other rights we have as a U.S. citizen, but forget about the right to bear arms.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::drool::drool::drool::D:) B)

Redbirdman

A well placed shot will do the job as well as a heavier round and the chance for collateral damage is significantly decreased.

Yessir Mr. Duff

I have carried legally for 11 years with a CCW in Arizona.....Every state between here (AZ) and NJ (except NJ and Illinois) respect my right to carry. I treat my sidearm the same as I would my wallet. It goes everyplace I go except the pool and the shower.

I understand the attitude of the uninformed, and I respect their right to be ignorant of the true aspects of the second amendment.

My wife (a little ol Italian grandma) carries, My daughter, a 40 something carries a Glock and my 23 YO skinny granddaughter can handle a '9' that would put a Marine to task......

Training is the key

As is repetition.....and practice.

I have everything and everything has it's place, 9's 45's 32's, 44's whatever. But my favorite is a Baretta Mod 21A.... A tip=up 25cal automatic. My wife has the match in 22 in her purse/pocket and a S @ W 549 '9' next to her seat in her car.

Unlike the proverbial 'road rage' sceniaro......well trained individuals are far more apt to politely nod and apologize than confront anybody when carrying. Because you have a responsibility that goes with that power. But I (and my family) are ready if the time ever comes.

I can't say that (except for one time) I ever really needed it. But both my wife and I clearly believe that the confidence that 'iron' gives you shows in your face and just might have thwarted a confrontation ....who knows?

I like the tip-up feature because it is extremely easy to make safe and clear. Being double action it does not have to be cocked to be ready. And you can carry it in your pocket if need be.

In Arizona, showing your weapon to thwart a confrontation used to be illegal, (called brandishing). But in the last few years new rules allow brandishing, or alluding, by CCW holders if they believe it would be advantageous to ward off a confrontation.

As far as my most prized possession goes. I don't ever expect to fire it. But the engraving says it all:

In 2009 I had the Honor of being presented with the US Army War College (in Carlisle PA) Class Pistol. A Sig Sauer P220 45 cal in Army color and insignia.

Serial number 08 of 30. The engraving says it all:

Not to promote war

But to Preserve Peace....................................

Flyinpancakes2011057.jpg

Flyinpancakes2011056.jpg

AY09 stands for 'Academic Year '09'

Flyinpancakes2011054.jpg

And Mr. Trouty56, and anyone else that questions the 2nd amendment. That is what it is all about: Not to Promote war, but to preserve peace!

God Bless America

And the second amendment! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::drool::thumbs:

ED :drool:

6wheeler

I like my Glock. Its kind of funny though, since I earned my permit I haven't carried it. I take it along as a sidearm when I am bowhunting bear. Although, everyone I hunt with laughs and says."Why don't you just throw a firecracker at em, it'll have the same effect". I say," My arrow placement is good enough to put em down, I just bring this along for when you clowns get lost, cause nobody can hear an arrow shot in the air". :thumbs: But carry what fits you and you feel comfortable with. Oh yeah, I mean EARNED. The permit doesn't come in a box of cereal. As with ALL firearms, they are just tools. It is up to the operator to use it responsibly.

CTPATRIOT

I'll be getting a 1911 later this year,i hope!My M4 and M590A1 need some company! :thumbs:

mavfreak

A well placed shot will do the job as well as a heavier round and the chance for collateral damage is significantly decreased.

Yessir Mr. Duff

I have carried legally for 11 years with a CCW in Arizona.....Every state between here (AZ) and NJ (except NJ and Illinois) respect my right to carry. I treat my sidearm the same as I would my wallet. It goes everyplace I go except the pool and the shower.

I understand the attitude of the uninformed, and I respect their right to be ignorant of the true aspects of the second amendment.

My wife (a little ol Italian grandma) carries, My daughter, a 40 something carries a Glock and my 23 YO skinny granddaughter can handle a '9' that would put a Marine to task......

Training is the key

As is repetition.....and practice.

I have everything and everything has it's place, 9's 45's 32's, 44's whatever. But my favorite is a Baretta Mod 21A.... A tip=up 25cal automatic. My wife has the match in 22 in her purse/pocket and a S @ W 549 '9' next to her seat in her car.

Unlike the proverbial 'road rage' sceniaro......well trained individuals are far more apt to politely nod and apologize than confront anybody when carrying. Because you have a responsibility that goes with that power. But I (and my family) are ready if the time ever comes.

I can't say that (except for one time) I ever really needed it. But both my wife and I clearly believe that the confidence that 'iron' gives you shows in your face and just might have thwarted a confrontation ....who knows?

I like the tip-up feature because it is extremely easy to make safe and clear. Being double action it does not have to be cocked to be ready. And you can carry it in your pocket if need be.

In Arizona, showing your weapon to thwart a confrontation used to be illegal, (called brandishing). But in the last few years new rules allow brandishing, or alluding, by CCW holders if they believe it would be advantageous to ward off a confrontation.

As far as my most prized possession goes. I don't ever expect to fire it. But the engraving says it all:

In 2009 I had the Honor of being presented with the US Army War College (in Carlisle PA) Class Pistol. A Sig Sauer P220 45 cal in Army color and insignia.

Serial number 08 of 30. The engraving says it all:

Not to promote war

But to Preserve Peace....................................

Flyinpancakes2011057.jpg

Flyinpancakes2011056.jpg

AY09 stands for 'Academic Year '09'

Flyinpancakes2011054.jpg

And Mr. Trouty56, and anyone else that questions the 2nd amendment. That is what it is all about: Not to Promote war, but to preserve peace!

God Bless America

And the second amendment! :wh::D:D:D:thumbs:

ED :wh:

Enough said! Thank you!

I watched this thread for a little while and have debated on if I was going to comment. But after reading what ed posted I thought what the heck.

Back before President Clinton signed a law saying I was no longer aloud to carry or own a firearm, I had a ruger security six in 357 mag. It was a little big to carry but it was one of the sweetest shouting handgun I had it would outshout most other guns at 50 yards. Even my heavily worked over 629 mag with a 8 3/8 barrel and target sights and trigger. I really miss my guns and shooting I used to compete indoor 50 foot shoots with a ruger 77/22 target rifle and was stating to get into national match shooting with a M1 grand. But I as a law abiding citizen I did as the law said and sold off my firearms. I lost a passion and a tradition as a hunter.

You would be surprised at how many and who carry and you would probably never even know that they do. My 80 year old grandma does.

If you have friends or accesses to a couple of different styles of hand guns, go try the out see how they fit are they comfortable do they hold well are they heavy or light. See how the shoot, how is the recoil, If to much recoil it can make you jumpy. And when you do get one practice makes perfect, shoot it often. When I did the national match thing I was shooting two to three hundred rounds Evey couple of days. I could hold a coffee cup over 10 rounds at 500 yards offhand. And it would be better in the other positions but not much. And not so good on rapid fire off hand. (a 30.06 packs alot of punch)

Best thing I can say is find what fits you and go play.

C-Series14

Here is a pic of my XD 45...

022.jpg

wheelhorse656

Both my grandpa and mom have bought a .380 ruger there small but pack a very powerful punch just an idea of somthing to look into. good luck on your hunt :thumbs:

can whlvr

this is a strange topic for me as a canadian,up here NO civilians can carry a gun,and u need very specific permits,but we dont really need them up here,u have more gun related murders in one of your large cities then we have in all of canada,there is guns here,they are smuggled here from the usa,but fortunatly there arnt too many people shot with them,ive never even held a hand gun and im mid 40s,but im not against hand guns,guns dont kill people,people kill people

Trouty56

Mr. Redbirdman....I don't want to take your rights away...heck I'm consevative. Great great grandpa in Civil War (I have his gun), great grandpa in the Spanish American war (i have his gun here too) , Grandpa in ww1 (I have his Purple Heart), dad in ww2 (still living), brother drafted for nam but stayed at the pentagon at the time doing some computer programming crap. All survived...amazing!! I just fear for the innocent folk out there. Not everybody that carries a gun is a crack shot and knows when to use it and when not to like all you guys here on rs...rock on!!

My dad visited the War College a year or so ago when he came to see my sister and I.