Sign in to follow this  
SNYFIX

Wheel Horse Toys

SNYFIX

Wheel Horse Toys. Have you noticed that unlike those green machines, WH never offered a toy, not even a ride-on. Now that would be a niche market for

someone would be to make wooden WH play toys!! Perhaps even wooden pedal tractors w/cart or loader.

I know, I know, someone out there is gonna come in and say, 'contraire there Mr. SNYFIX, such and such company indeed made die cast toys or such and such company did indeed make ride-on pedal tractors' !!

Kelly

There are some vintage plastic RJ's with attachments out there but I don't want to pay what they bring, and Wheel horse had a few ride on pedal tractors, and you see the tonka sized semi trucks up for sale from time to time, but your right they never marketed toys like the green tractors did.

nylyon

A while back, Bill P. had put in a post about which tractor to do first. He was in conversation with someone about making just such an item but don't think that that ever happened. I recall seeing a Wheel Horse tractor trailer around and some plastic RJ's but nothing else really.

The posts from Bill are some where on here, I'm just too lazy to search for them :thumbs:

6wheeler

I thought ERTL did make one. If I remember correctly, it was a C series. I saw one at Farm Fest in 1976. I am going to look in the Ertl archives and see for sure.

nylyon

It's an oldie, but here it is

WH Raider10

Ertl made a wheelhorse model that came with a trailer, probably a C-series. They also made the model kits from the Indy turbine car that includes a small wheelhorse model. I've a very big book with tractors toys in it all from Ertl. In the book you can see a pedal powered wheelhorse,looks to be a modern one.

neil

Can you show us a pic of the book with the wheel horse tractor Toy

mowerman1193

I have seen some toys and models etc. from time to time on ebay. Not very often but they are out there..

I actually have the ability to make wooden toys. In fact there are a lot of people on the scroll saw forums making old tractors and trucks etc. I had thought about doing it but I just do not see someone paying for my time that would be involved in making these. There is a big difference between mass produced and hand made.

I don't know maybe one day I will give it a try and see what happens..probably not anytime soon that's for sure.

I mostly draw up my own plans..But, here is a link to some wooded toy plans if anyone has a scroll saw laying around and feel brave enough to try, LOL Lots of interesting things to make here..

http://www.cherrytreetoys.com/Wood_Toy_Far..._Plans_C215.cfm

Anglo Traction

I'm putting the idea to make a few to scale on my To-Do-List. They won't quite be Toys, as I plan to use Nickel Silver Sheet and Castings. More like Desk top dust collectors I'll need to to ascertain what scale I'm limited to (bolt size mainly). I have .050" hex steel rod. Just need to decide on which Tractor model to do?. I like the RJ's, so I may start there ......when I've finished my current project.

They won't be viable to mass produce due to the hours. My Traction Engine took 2500 hours! and still need to finish it!.

6wheeler

Ok, I couldn't find the tractor and trailer but I do remember seeing it. The model kit is AMT/ERTL it has an Indy car and what looks to be a C series tractor kit#31919. they were both white and had to be painted. Pretty detailed though and I think 1/25th scale.

GlenPettit

Basically all the ERTL metal toys/tractors have been made overseas since about 2000, and I'm quite sure they did not ever make any Wheel Horse (nor Craftsman) Garden Tractors. Not sure why not, but would like to know,

The company will have any custom model made that you want, and they are very nice, but; smallest order is 25,000 for the item to wholesale at $10+ (shipping, jobber cost, import duty, and local distribution would add at least $15), and the 1/4 million dollars investment must be upfront.

I have most all (non-JD, non-green) 1:16 scale Metal die-cast garden tractors that ERTL has made, (Cub, Ford, AC, MF, Simplicity, Gravely, RK, LC, Deutz, Kubuta, C-C, Agco, & Sentar), and will have them all on display at the big Show in June in PA, but no Wheel Horses.

The 1:24 scale plastic Wheel Horse (about '73) is still available from "S.E.Ltd Diorama" [http] for about $24, a kit you glue together & paint (like what came with the 'Indy Lotus RaceCar kit'), but it is very rough and takes a lot of care when assembling.

It is common to see a 1:12 scale C-101 Red Wheel Horse sold on eBay, that is really a ERTL die-cast Snapper model with new decals.

Other than the very crude small plastic promotion toys Wheel Horse gave away 50 years ago, I don't think there has ever been any scale models available.

Michigan Glen