Sign in to follow this  
Redbirdman

Now for something different?

Redbirdman

As cold as it is (for Arizona) a group of nine of us still decided to fly down to Coolidge Airport in AZ for their

neil

Looks like you had a great day

there aere some great looking aircraft There

I go to the Royal Air Force Day every year and get to see some great military aircraft.

You are a lucky man to be able to own & fly

Great Hobby

JimD

Great pics of some beautiful aircraft, and a flight for charity to boot. You're quite a guy Ed. Thanks for sharing the pics with us. :thumbs:

Sparky

Talk about a cool way to spend the day :thumbs: . Great pics, thanks!

Mike..........

TJ

What a great way to spend the day! :thumbs:

Tom

Operator

Great looking aircraft!

I have a question, what kind of heaters inside the little ones to keep you warm :thumbs: How warm is it when it is 20 degrees on terra firma?

Redbirdman

How warm is it when it is 20 degrees on terra firma

I don't know about the newer 1/2 million dollar glass cockpit composite rockets, but the older (my) generation 'cheap spam cans' use the same old fashioned tin 'muff' around the exhaust manifold as used on a lot of tractors.

A big concern of course is carbon monoxide poison because the altitude multiplys the effects of monoxide poison........the biggest concern is a feeling of "NOT being concerned!"........but we mostly all have a little carbon monoxide indicator hanging on a key chain or something.

How cold? It is about 3 to 5 degrees colder per thousand feet of altitude.

I don't like using too much heat for fear of carbon monoxide, but one thing to consider is the POH in every aircraft (Pilots Operating Handbook) specifys exactly how warm the oil temperature must be before takeoff so the engine and cockpit can warm up a lot before taking off.

Now, the Stearman is completely different ........the front is warmer than the back but there have been times we have been so cold we landed in the desert just to warm up a little!

Obviously yesterday she stayed snug in her hanger with spoiled dog.. :thumbs:

IMG_1837.jpg

ed :thumbs: :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Great pictures Ed...a fly in charity breakfast...WOW Thanks for sharing.

It is weird seeing all you guys bundled up in Arizona...what was it 45 degrees out. ..Brrrr :thumbs::thumbs:

We are looking at a minus 9 degrees here on Tuesday. :thumbs:

dclarke

I really enjoy your airplane photos Ed and i always seem to learn something when you post them. Thanks for taking us along with you. :thumbs:

racinfool40

:thumbs: Exactly what everyone else said..Great pics and thanks for sharing!!!Our little local airport has a fly in once a year and has a pretty good turn out. They bring in remote controlle planes and jets also, which is great to watch!!! They just lenghthened it also to handle small jets for the Nascar guys who run at ELDORA speedway..My kids love watching and looking at the aircraft!!! :thumbs:

Operator

Thanks Ed :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Tha :thumbs: nks Edward!

DOC in Kentucky

GREAT Pics, really enjoyed this post!!! :thumbs:

Daddy Don

This is what I miss about being out of the airforce. I love to fly. What you do is for a good cause. Great looking planes.

dkopp

Got to love those Cubs! Thanks for sharing.