Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Why we don't allow links to CL & Ebay

T-Mo

This is one of the reasons why we don't allow linking to Craig's List and/or Ebay ads:

No He Didn't!

Follow this thread closely, especially the posts by TMaynard. Be sure to read the second page. We actually had a similar situation here on Red Square a couple of years ago that help prompt the no linking to Craig's List or Ebay ads. You may wonder why we don't want links to live auctions or ads, here's a good reason why we don't.

DMK855

Sure goes against how I was brought up..... I personlly hate CL period for that reason!! What happened to a Man's word and a Handshake sealed the deal!!! Even worse for someone to cut your throat the way he did in that thread!!!!!

MikesRJ

Certainly not the way I was brought up either, nor the way I brought up my own. It's a damn share really. :banghead:

HeneryHawk

That is to bad that people will pull things like that.

rmaynard

And let me add that TMaynard is not related to me. :banghead:

Operator

That just wasn't right :ROTF: How do you spell unethical? :banghead:

Good thing :thumbs: guys aren't like that!

smoreau

wow that sucks for craftsman kid. Know I understand why there is no links like that. just makes you want to :banghead: the other guy

Operator

And let me add that TMaynard is not related to me. :thumbs:

The thought was considered, but it couldn't have been one of "our family" guys. :banghead: Thank you for the clarification.

can whlvr

i just drove 4 hours to get a plow,chains and wheel weights,i told the guy that i was driving 2 hours each way and i was leaving and was dead serious about the sale,dont sell it or i wont bother driving there,so get there and the guy that bought it was just leaving :banghead: the seller didnt even call me so i woulnt waste 100 in fuel and half a day in work lost

DMK855

Can whlvr........ That sucks!!! Agian, like I posted above, that is why I don't like CL!!!! :banghead:

Sparky

Great post and an even greater example T-Mo.

Thanks.

Mike.........

dennist

That thread speaks volumes. What a shameful thing to do!

Rollerman

I'll add I've had a similar experience asking a fellow (trusted) collector about a pair of tractors once.

I still got them, but the price went up considerably.

Best to be descreet about a pending deal till it's in your own garage.

nylyon

This is one of the primary reasons that we prohibit these listings. It's sad to see something like this.

Ken B

i just drove 4 hours to get a plow,chains and wheel weights,i told the guy that i was driving 2 hours each way and i was leaving and was dead serious about the sale,dont sell it or i wont bother driving there,so get there and the guy that bought it was just leaving :banghead: the seller didnt even call me so i woulnt waste 100 in fuel and half a day in work lost

Kinda of reminds me of the day I left work half day to pick up a tractor from someone that used to post on this board. He sold it after we had agreed on a deal. Good thing I checked the board that day before I left for his house, come to find out found he had already sold it. Don't see him around no more..... :thumbs:

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Was the link to the Craigslist Ad in that thread removed? I don't see it.

T-Mo

Was the link to the Craigslist Ad in that thread removed? I don't see it.

I don't think the link to the ad was ever there, which makes this one even more telling. The original poster, let's call him the victim, posted that he was going to respond to a Craig's list ad, and then added a picture. His location is shown on his profile. Anyone can then take that information and find the ad easy.

Now, tmaynard, let's call him the buyer, just had to put two and two together, throw in a discouraging post to try and slow down the victim, and then go after the tractor himself.

As Karl says this is a good example of why we don't allow those type of ads to be linked to - why make it easy for the vultures to swoop in and steal a tractor away. A couple of comments here indicated that they believe no one on RS would do this. But, in reality, it has happen on more than one occasion. MTF has more members than RS, and it's easy to imagine that they might have one bad apple or two. But, even in a dozen apples, there might be a bad one or two. And there's nothing we here on RS can do to keep a bad apple from doing this. All we can do is not make it easy for them. Yeah, his reputation might be tarnished here, but he still will be able to swoop in and grab an item that another member asked a question on. In his mind, what he's doing is acceptable - he plays by a different code than the rest of us does.

nylyon

Yes, we have had MORE than one instance of this happen here, we have also had members link to a CL or eBay ad to mock it, then to find out that it was a serious ad placed by a member. Now it may not seem like much to many of you, but when things like that happen the moderators usually begin to receive a bunch of complaints and it takes quite an effort to settle things down.

I am willing to bet that most of you guys are checking eBay and CL all the time and know when something is available anyway.

wallfish

I can't understand why some people will give up their honor and integrity like it means nothing. What a shame to go through life like that.

T-Mo

It looks like the guy here wasn't as guilty as he first looks - another note - don't jumped to conclusions. But up till this morning, the scenario playing out up till then, was the reason why this thread was posted. I'm glad that the guy was innocent of any wrong doing, except he should have realized it and at least, told the original poster that he was going to buy it for a friend. But, it's also a good lesson for us to "Not jumped to conclusions until all the facts are evident!"

Operator

I will not mention names here but I hope one of our members reads this thread.

Integrity and honoring your word. I trusted a RS member and lost.

Live and learn I guess.

6wheeler

T-Mo and NYLyon, thanks for clarifying that. I as well as others DO check those sights. I guess I am lucky, because I am too lazy to drive a long way to get something so I haven't been burned YET. And hopefully won't be. But People either inadvirtenly or intentionally will look for a good deal. I like to think that the members on RS might say, "Thats a good deal, but you better get it before I do." Instead of saying, "It is a bad purchase", and taking it out from under someone. In my perfect world , thats how it would go. :ROTF::banghead: All's fair in love and collecting :thumbs:

wallfish

Funny how he didn't clarify himself when he posted "I got it" since he knew it was the same tractor then. He had to come up with something once the bashing started. Why would he buy a tractor for a friend if he felt it was NOT a good price.

Sparky

I agree John. I think he made up his story after seeing the flack it caused. The way I read it is that he bought it for a buddy of his with a busted tractor. So how can he offer it to Craftsman-Kid if it technically belongs to his buddy, right :banghead: .

My opinion, the guy was/is a dirtbag. Craftsman-Kid let him off real easy.

Mike.......

sscotsman

It looks like the guy here wasn't as guilty as he first looks - another note - don't jumped to conclusions. But up till this morning, the scenario playing out up till then, was the reason why this thread was posted. I'm glad that the guy was innocent of any wrong doing, except he should have realized it and at least, told the original poster that he was going to buy it for a friend. But, it's also a good lesson for us to "Not jumped to conclusions until all the facts are evident!"

I dont buy his story..

I think he just made it up to cover himself because of the amount of backlash he got..he could be telling the truth, but I still smell a rat..

Scot