Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

The Snow Fighter

Ken B

While I like to call my C-160 the Snow Fighter, this video is where I got that name. This is the true Snow Fighter! (These guys are my snow hero's)

I would have loved to have been the Wheel Man in this truck, or even one of the spotters. I know when I was a kid I would have stood on the snow banks and watched all day long!

chesbaycruiser

:banghead:

That is some DEEP snow!

can whlvr

very cool vids,it reminds me of a local story about the train that heads north from here,in the 30s they got it stuck,took 2 weeks to hand dig it,hundreds of men worked night and day to free it

dgoyette

Very cool link Ken! That is a lot of snow, I was wondering if road plowing/clean up back then only occurred after the storm was complete. Unlike today where road crews are out during the storms. Maybe not but I suspect people stayed home more during storms than they do today.

Of course I am in a very populated area (for Maine) and would expect the clean up is very different than more rural areas.

Coadster32

Nice!! I'd like to be there also. :banghead:

Operator

Neat old video for sure Thanks. Those Walter Sno Fighters are still around too.

I drove one for pushing back sides, it had like a 14' wing 4X4 drive with singles and a dump box full of sand . The only thing that would stop it was if I got too far off the side and one wheel would start to spin on the left, up side. The wing man would get out and hold the spinning wheel and the others would bite in then off we went! Planetary drive. Gas engine , 300 gal gas tank behind cab. We did have the big V plow but never put it on. It was neat to drive and operate , but it was a job for sure. The truck was kept inside so condition was very nice. Big stak coming out of hood. :banghead:

Randy

sgtsampay

WOW, was that all from one storm I wander or from multiple. Also, That truck frame must of been suepr strong as it was ram!. LOL.

stevebo

Nice find Ken !! Amazing what they had for equipment back then and how a bunch of people would watch closely and they were all so thankful for the job that was done. In today's times we get pissed if they the town does not have all the roads cleared when we wake up after a night of snow. Very, very nice !!

Ken B

I hear ya Steve, I don't really mind the roads not being done early in the A.M. The towns and the state having little cash flow will do that. What bothers me is the Amateurish job I've seen being done lately.

Coming home Wed. during the BIG storm I saw a brandy new City of Danbury dump plow truck hard at work. It made my day to see that it was a Peterbilt! :banghead:

can whlvr

in my township they dont plow any secondary roads till the snow stops,highways are done regular,they have had an easy 2 years around me

HorseFixer

Nice machine. :banghead: And even a nicer snow! :thumbs: