Sign in to follow this  
farmer

Posting of tractor pictures in RedSquare

farmer

[edit: This topic was split from a discussion in the WH area to maintain the original post

Ok Karl, I'll have a go. I thought the tractors there were owned by members.

Thanks.

chesbaycruiser

I thought the tractors there were owned by members.

Farmer, you are correct.

:banghead:

nylyon

No, the purpose of the gallery is to get pictures of as many models as we can. It doesn't matter if you personally own it or not. The only limitation we have is that there isn't any discussion in the gallery, just pictures, keeps it nice and tidy that way.

chesbaycruiser

So RS supports the notion that I'm free to go grab anyone's photo off of Google, et.al., and post them here without regards to ownership? Which implies that the reverse is true? And by extension, we can post other site's web content here, and vice-versa?

Not trying to start a raging debate, and frankly, I don't personally care either way, but that doesn't sound like a great precedent to set, and might cause problems down the road for RS.

I seem to recall reading a post in the last day or so where a mod had deleted content and replaced it with a hyperlink for basically the same thing?

Just sayin...

CasualObserver

Nobody said anything about taking images from Google. (Which is irrelevant anyway, since most of that is public domain.) But if you happen to go to a show, and wanted to take pictures of 25 tractors that you don't own, and weren't in the gallery, and post them up, go right ahead. :banghead: The point of the gallery is for reference, to help with IDs, whatsits, and where's it go type things.

nylyon

As long as the information doesn't have a copy write or protected by other applicable laws, sure and what would make it any different then the picture being posted at the beginning of this topic? I don't want to hijack this post, we can open another in the general area or via PM for further discussion as needed.

chesbaycruiser

...it was a Lawn Ranger like this. (Googled image)

Respectfully CasualObserver....Google was specifically mentioned, which is why I asked the question at all.

CasualObserver

Ah...

I meant, no one said anything about randomly filling the gallery with images from around the net. People copy images to posts that don't belong to them all day long. It's just part of the internet. Thus the term... public domain.

stevasaurus

The problem Chris, is that using an IMG code, the link is only good as long as the link is not broken from Photobucket or whatever server is used. If a person removes their photo from the server the link is broke and the picture is gone. Also, you want to post a horse that is accurately depicted as far as being correct. Hope that helps...I think the mods will have a little more to say about this. :banghead:

nylyon

Again if a photo does not have a copy write or otherwise protected, you can post it here. If it has a copy write and you have permission, you can post it here otherwise no.

nylyon

I have a note into Photobucket to see if this is an issue. Chris, thanks for pointing it out. I'll post the answer.

nylyon

I've got to hand it to photobucket, they reply quickly. In a nut shell, Photobucket does NOT hold copywrite to the images posted but the user may or may not. If you obtain permission from the user and / or you know that it isn't protected you can post it.

chesbaycruiser

People copy images to posts that don't belong to them all day long. It's just part of the internet. Thus the term... public domain.

I realize that we're not talking about classified documents here, and many folks wouldn't mind if their tractor image ended up in our gallery. Nevertheless, I know that as a web designer, before I post an image, I must either a.) create the image, b.) purchase the image, or c.) get permission to use the image.

• [*:7xlk63kc]If I take a photo of my tractor, it's mine to do with as I please.[*:7xlk63kc]If I take a photo of your tractor at a show, the image is mine to do with as I please.[*:7xlk63kc]If you take a photo of my tractor at the show, the image is yours to do with as you please.

That said....with very few exceptions, the images you see in a Google search are the web content and property of other people or organizations, and unless otherwise specified, carry an implied copyright, if not a written one. The fact that other people may copy and paste them all day long, doesn't make it right, and it does NOT make them public domain.

As I said earlier, I didn't mean to start a raging debate. The only postings I can (or want) to control are my own. Everyone operates under the rules as they understand them. Farmer simply asked a question and I answered him with what I believe to be the correct answer. If the mods here see it differently, I defer to them....no harm, no foul. :banghead:

chesbaycruiser

....Photobucket does NOT hold copywrite to the images posted but the user may or may not. If you obtain permission from the user and / or you know that it isn't protected you can post it.

On that, I believe we are in agreement sir!

nylyon

Although it probably would NEVER be an issue, I think that I found the owner of that picture / machine. They are in the U.K. and I sent a note asking if we could use the picture in our gallery.