Sign in to follow this  
zieg72

Battery???

theoldwizard1

I'm glad to see that you decided to use a remote battery, because I would bet that you would pop that fuse at the worst time ! If the cable get caught on an "immovable" object, you could easily get a 100+ amp spike.

One thing everyone is over looking is that there are 2 wires. This means you have to DOUBLE the length of the wire when using that chart. They do sell a 100 amp "maxi-fuse". Buy one for the lead from the remote battery to the winch..

Last, don't expect that the remote battery will be fully recharged even after a couple of hours of driving, especially if it heavily discharged (personal experience).

Walmart has good prices on marine deep cycle batteries and plastic battery boxes. I would spend the money on a good charger. One that can properly charge deep cycle batteries.

.5racer

Have a winch in my trailer and wired straight to my 7 pin hook-up on my 2001 F-150. I use a deepcycle marine bat and it gets charged everytime the truck RUNS..The acc wire on the 7 pin plug on my Ford only comes on when the truck Runs. It charges everytime I travle and regulated by the trucks charging system. Been that way 5 years now and still useing the same bat. It is also used quite often too !!!