Sign in to follow this  
zieg72

Battery???

zieg72

I recently picked up a 4500lbs winch for my car trailer and am seeking battery advise. Obviously the least possible cost is prefered. I have a #10 wire going from my truck battery to my trailer plug which I am using a 7 connector center lug protected by a 30 amp fuse. I am going to fabricate a toolbox of sorts to protect the winch and battery if needed and am asking if a battery is or should be used for the winch. Deep cycle, regular car battery or something smaller. The winch will only be used occasionally when whatever I haul that won't drive up under its own power. The advertised max amp draw of the winch is 178 amps but it will never see that since I have a pulley block & hook to cut the load in half. I thought I would ask the experts and sit back and get educated. Thanks in advance.

stevasaurus

Should be able to run right off the vehicle battery...just like on boat trailers with a winch...5 point plug for the lights and acc. Maybe just keep the vehicle running while winching in case the battery is old or something like that. :ychain:

Roger from southern Iowa

I agree with Steve.

The vehicle battery should do the job.

I have a 3000 lb winch permanently mounted and hardwired in my pickup to load garden tractors and have no problem at all. :ychain:

HorseFixer

Here ya go Rodge! Your installing it so you know more of the details like length of wire & so forth always error a little on the safe side. I might try it with 10ga ck under load and see if the wire starts getting warm? :ychain: If so ya may want to switch to # 6ga Lowe's wants .87 cents per ft X 20 ft = 17.40 + the Governors cut worse case scenario!

12VwireGaChart.jpg

rickv1957

Handy chart there Bob!!! :ychain:

zieg72

Thanks Bob for the chart. My truck isn't but 20 ft. long and the wire is already run. #10 is about as large a wire that can fit with my existing plug. I haven't looked into the winch but the wires may be a bit bigger and meant for the front of a jeep or ATV. I may just run it off a small car battery directly and use the truck wiring to keep it charged. The winch came with a double relay but the directions for hooking it all up is unclear. I will take a good look at it when it gets warmer and post my results. Thanks again!!!

Kelly

I have a 9000lb warn winch on my car hauler, and use a interstate deep cycle with lots of reserve capacity, batt. cost about $90 10 years ago, I can winch 10 rolling cars up before it goes dead, I just put it on a slow charge after I'm done with it, 10 years is a long time for a batt. but you get what you pay for.

Roger from southern Iowa

Bob, I am using 10 ga wire now and no wire temp problem at all.

Thanks for the chart!!

HorseFixer

I recently picked up a 4500lbs winch for my car trailer and am seeking battery advise. Obviously the least possible cost is prefered.

Not a problem Mate! :D I just answer the questions as they are given to me. :hide: I guess Car batteries are less than $20.00 where you live. And you don't expect the load by the chart to pull over 50 amps? :D Well alright then! :ychain:

Now if you were asking for the Deluxe Rout to go? I would have suggested Car Battery With Short Leads to the Winch and charge through that 10 GA Wire. And oh by the way, make sure you run the charge wire (that 10 ga wire) and ground lead through a plug connector and directly to the battery not to rely on the trailer ground to do the job! Direct connections through wire is the best and most dependable! And as you can see by the chart a 3' length of wire in this case (from battery to winch) can handle 200 amps!

Good Luck! :D~ Duke

Operator

Carl I picked up toolboxes at Northern and put my winches in. My skidsteer trailer is wired to my truck with a separate plug and welding wire run up to my battery'

My :ychain: hauling one [the one I had at your place] has a battery inside toolbox and charge wire run through my 7 way plug. Need pictures, I can take some.

Randy

zieg72

Your chart got me to thinking, what I don't want to do is burn up my new winch or start the truck on fire by melting wires. BTW it is a Superwinch brand if that matters. When I ran the #10 + wire I ran a #10 ground right along with it where I grounded the truck frame before it went to the plug. I have no idea how winches are rated when you figure pulling up ramps and maybe one wheel is locked and is skidding along, how does that figure in the total weight limit. Of course the trailer is a 14ft steel floor so the biggest vehicle it will ever see is a regular sized pickup because any longer wheel base won't fit. Thanks to all who chimed in on this.

Kelly

Just a thought, you said you may haul a reg sized pickup, but the trailer is only 14'long, how wide?? most small trailers are not wide enough to haul full sized trucks, or cars, just thought I'd throw that out there before you try.

MikesRJ

Ooooooh, can't you just feel the testosterone pulsing through this thread? :ychain:

zieg72

Just a thought, you said you may haul a reg sized pickup, but the trailer is only 14'long, how wide?? most small trailers are not wide enough to haul full sized trucks, or cars, just thought I'd throw that out there before you try.

I have already hauled 3 Chevy full sized pickups and a Suburban among other smaller cars and some tractors. I had a hand crank winch from Harbor Freight, used it once and it went into the garbage. It is wider than my previous car trailer just couldn't haul something with mudder type tires. The trucks go nicely on there just have to keep in mind the wheel base...

zieg72

Here is a picture of the trailer

Attached Image

post-12-1294016051.jpg

HorseFixer

Carl here is some data for you to naw on and one of my most favorite sayings... Why is there allways time and money to do things right the second time? :ychain: Thats why the Duke doesn't $&$k around and take the cheap way out, Sure I hate spending excess money like the next guy. But the cheap way is not allways the best way :D And besides that??? I hate doing things twice!

How to Compare Electric Winches

Electric winches offer pulling power that you need for general utility situations and off-road recovery. It was long believed that hydraulic winches were the only option when it came to winches, but electric winches are making a surge in popularity. Powered by your vehicle's battery, electric winches are much easier to mount to a vehicle than hydraulic winches because you don't have to tap into the vehicle's steering pump. Electric winches also offer more features than you'll find with hydraulic winches, which can make it difficult to choose when you compare electric winches.

Difficulty:ModerateInstructions.

1) Compare drive train configurations among electric winches. A spur gear drive train has a fast line speed and it's reliable, but it can be unstable and you may end up losing your load because of it. Worm gear drive trains, most popular for use on tow trucks, are for use when you need to hold or lower an object. Worm gear drive trains typically operate slower than other types of electric winch drive trains. Planetary gear drive trains are a combination of both spur and worm gear drive trains. They are smaller, weigh less and cost less. Planetary gear drive trains are the most popular type of drive train used with electric winches.

2) Choose a winch with the motor that can best handle your application. There are two main types of electric winch motors: permanent magnetic (PM) and series wound (SW). PM motors have a lower amp draw, which means they are more energy efficient. Less power, however, means they aren't for use in extreme terrain or recovery situations. Expect to pay more for SW electric winch motors, but they are for extreme use and they have a large power pull. You may need to upgrade the alternator, battery and other electrical components in your vehicle to operate an SW motor.

3) Buy an electric winch that's the right size. You need a winch capacity that's at least 1.5 times your gross vehicle weight. For example, if you anticipate using a winch on a 5,000-lb. vehicle, you need an electric winch with a capacity of 7,500 lbs.

A Good Winch Information Site On Choosing Winches

Ill be damn look what I found :hide: A company that sells a wireing kit for a winch up to 4000 lbs a larger winch will most likely need a bigger wire. Click on the winch kit and you will see the wire ga size they reccomend :D They also reccomend not to run these wire through your trailer wireing plug. :D

Electric Winch Wireing & Kits

MikesRJ

While you're plagiarizing text from eHow ....

soap_box.gif

... here, you might need this ... :ychain:

HorseFixer

While you're plagiarizing text from eHow ....

soap_box.gif

... here, you might need this ... :ychain:

Sue Me!

zieg72

Awesome site, thanks for the links. My plans are to run off a full sized car battery hooked to the winch in which the battery will receive a charge when the trailer is plugged into the truck through the #10 wires very similar to pulling a camper with a 12V fridge and lighting I am assuming. Does that seem like a safe plan to you?

MikesRJ

Awesome site, thanks for the links. My plans are to run off a full sized car battery hooked to the winch in which the battery will receive a charge when the trailer is plugged into the truck through the #10 wires very similar to pulling a camper with a 12V fridge and lighting I am assuming. Does that seem like a safe plan to you?

You said you're only going to use it infrequently, and you're going to pay $100.00 whether or not you buy a deep cycle marine unit or a standard car battery. The safest bet would be to purchase a cheap trickle charger and keeping a deep cycle charged up until needed. That way you don't have to run a lot of excess wiring, and not run the risk of frying your trucks electrical system. Your alternator isn't designed to charge two batteries simultaneously. I would just get the deep cycle, weld a box on the trailer, and hook it directly to the winch.

Operator

Safest route Carl! That or seperate wires to the truck battery.

Randy

HorseFixer

Carl PM Sent! :ychain:

can whlvr

i owned a1987 yj with a 9000lb pound ramsey recovery winch,it was awsome,with the bnlock and tackle i pulled a fully loaded f350 out of the mud many times,i pulled every thing,logs,trucks,horse trailers,forklifts,any way i recommend the use of a seperate battery as was allready stated,i had my winch on good quality alligator clamps so when i didnt use it no power was running through the wires or solinoids,which corrode faster with power thropugh them,and on a long pull i would not want that much wire,im not saying that it cant be done,but like kelly said,just hook it directly to a dedicated battery and u wont affect your truck battery or any other of the vehicals electrical,if u need more power to pull a really long pull u can use booster cables to the spare battery.

Save Old Iron

Carl, you are on the right track with your original idea.

The 30 amp fuse is the limiting factor in how well your winch would perform wired directly to the trailer connector.

If you wire in a battery isolator, the extra "winch" battery could be easily charged off your vehicle's charging system thru the trailer hitch 30 amp tap.

You may also want to consider wiring a spare trailer connector with a self resetting 20 - 30 amp circuit breaker at the "winch" battery box.

If a charge current of more than 20 - 30 amps is needed after a winch pulling session, the 30 amp trailer fuse will not be blown (could be a big inconvenience depending where that fuse is located). The 20 amp self reset breaker will trip before blowing the main trailer harness fuse.

6wheeler

I am gonna chime in here as well, I agree with Kelly on this one. I have a homebuilt 16' tilt bed trailer. I have a 5000# winch on it. And, also use a deep cycle battery. I too put a charger on it when necessary. The reason for this is, I can change tow vehicles with no problems. My brothers or kids occasionally use it also. So, as long as they have a 2" ball and standard wiring on the vehicle, its ready to roll. I have brake kits on my F-250, and my Suburban. So, for me its not a problem as it weighs 1200# empty. I can also hook it up to a larger tractor and use it around the farm as well. Being self contained definately has its advantages.. Pat