Sign in to follow this  
mr.pipes

Late Model Chevy & GMC Problems

mr.pipes

I had a problem with my 2500 Chevy van this weekend. I did a little searching online and it sounds like this is a problem area. I only have 50K in the van and smoked the right side 5 hours from home at 6:00 p.m. on a Friday night. It was the right side which probably takes more abuse due to faster/harder left hand turns. I just think the tires would need to be replaced before a wheel bearing would fail. Any one else had a problem with this? Any other common problems I may be expecting in the future? Thanks

DMK855

Mr. Pipes, if it makes you feel better, you are not alone!! I have changed more than I can count on all makes and models of late model GM vehicles!! The trucks/vans/SUVs seem to be the worst though!! And it's not just the right side!!

stevasaurus

What are you guys considering a late model?? I have a GMC Sierra 2000 with about 75,000 on it. I have not had a problem yet :D , but the age and miles would put it in the ball park of that time when things start to go.

Another reason for the right side to go first, is the right side or edge of the road is always bumpier...Usually the right side tie rod ends, shocks, king pins and hub caps go first. :ychain:

W9JAB

I would take this right to the top!

obama_goodwrench.jpg

6wheeler

:ychain: Thats Funny. As the commercial on TV says they stumbled and fell. But, they have Looked and Seen the problems. And, are working to fix them: meaning; We are not responsible. YOU are responsible. So, if you could, Loan us 89 billion dollars that we will shurley pay back? Unless of course we could pay bonuses instead with it. Oh yeah, As far as your bearings go, We'll talk to Juan in Mexico, And have his team put some grease in the next run of bearings. We'll use 1 full squirt instead of 1/2 squirt. Thanks for your support...

Kelly

I this summer put both hubs on my 01 yukon XL 4X4 (suburban) at $155 each, but it had 175,000 miles on it and the ones I pulled looked factory.

mr.pipes

What are you guys considering a late model?? I have a GMC Sierra 2000 with about 75,000 on it. I have not had a problem yet :hide: , but the age and miles would put it in the ball park of that time when things start to go.

Another reason for the right side to go first, is the right side or edge of the road is always bumpier...Usually the right side tie rod ends, shocks, king pins and hub caps go first. :D

The front wheel bearings the new style (1999 to 2008) Chevy trucks come as an assembly only - the bearings themselves cannot be replaced - assembly includes the complete hub, stud bolts and ABS sensor.

If all goes well should only take a half an hour with an impact gun. It's a pretty easy job with the right tools. Not so easy in a WalMart parking lot with hand tools, Friday night at 6:00 with no parts store open and 5 hours from home. I'm going to do my best to avoid that situation again. I renewed my insurance policy 3 days before and declined the roadside assistance option. :ychain: :D