Sign in to follow this  
mavfreak

Any mechanics on here?

mavfreak

Its a '04 Hyundai sonata with the 2.4L 4

A couple of days ago it quit running.

I pulled off codes and it was a crank sensor.

Upon checking it I discovered that the timing belt that runs the balance shaft was broke which spun around the crank and took out the sensor.

I replaced both timing belts the sensor and the tension.

Put it all back in time and tried starting. NO start.

I now find that the fuel pump isn't starting.

Found that the pump relay is bad. No power to pump.

Replace that. Still fuel pump doesn't work. replaced pump and that now works.

Still no start.

No codes either.

Have fuel but no spark.

I have checked timing and rechecked timing two and three times then went back and checked again.

I am stumped.I can't run a digaustices with the scanner cause the engine won't start. :ychain:

Anyone have any ideas? :D

I have one and that is a bad ECM, but dam I spent alot and I am not completely sure on that one. :D

mavfreak

this car has 149000. This is the third timing belt that i put in it. Have had car since 05 with around 20000.

wheelhorse656

heard through the grape vine and i might be wrong but just about everything goes wrong on a newer car onece the time belt brackes or it least does alot of damage. :D i know thats what i said to! good luck :ychain:

mavfreak

The main timing belt didn't break, thank goodness cause this is an interference engine. And I have changed out these belts every 60000 I know this time is close but still had some miles to go.

wheelhorse656

hmm im definatly not sure theni can ask my cousin he has on of the best shops in the south west ohio region he might be able to tell you whats wrong.

stevasaurus

Heath

...I see where you said you have done this before...but is it possible you are 180 degrees off?// :ychain:

Maybe the distributor skipped a tooth.

mavfreak

I wish it was as simple as a distrubutor but this car doesn't have one. I thought it could be 180 out but then it would have to have been 180 out befor i started. I didn't have to rotate engine just took off old belt and on with a new one.

6wheeler

Heath, I'm gonna try something with you. Take a look at the crank sensor. I'm just guessing here but, look at what it reads. I don't know on these huyndias, but on my olds, it reads the back of the harmonic balancer. If it is what I think, there are slots on the sensor that the metal cup attached to the harmonic balancer goes into. On mine, the balancer itself was bad(the center goes on the crank then 1"of rubber and the outside ring. The rubber was cracked and it made it go out of time. Do you have fuel pressure at all? Can you hear the fuel pump go on when you turn the key on? You should hear the pump engage when the key is turned on w/o cranking the engine. On top of the fuel rail should be a schrader valve(looks like a tire valve), When you turn on the key, if it pressurizes. You should be able to press the center of that valve and, get gas. But, be careful. If it is pressurized gas will shoot out.NO SMOKING!! If not, check the fuel presure regulator. If there is pressure, check the injectors with an ohm meter. These are some things you can check w/o shotgunning a parts store at it. Also it may have an emergency fuel shutoff, that may have tripped for some reason. Good luck Pat

Butch

Don't go buying ECMs until you KNOW what the problem is. That's from someone with expensive experience right thar! :ychain:

mavfreak

After another day of laying on the concrete floor With no improvement I called my old boss. He actually came over and looked everything over and could not find anything I did wrong. We can't get the scanner and the ECM to communicate at all other than just to read codes.

He believes as well as I that the ECM is fried.

Only thing we can come up with. He has a 05 Sonata in his shop and is going to see if there compatible. If so we are going to see if That's it. If it is then I'm good to go if not then we're going to take to his place and see what we can find out.

oldandred

Mav you know what time it is

Yep time for a new car

mavfreak

Oh Santa Please! lol not today oldandred. Once the wife and I get back on our feet then yes most definitely

nylyon
You need a scan tool which can read live data. I don't know anything about that car, but I would suspect that there is a sync which isn't happening causing the ECM to not deliver spark. Like mentioned above, the crank sensor needs to read something usually a magnet to get sense. Be sure you haven't lost that magnet. I would guess that the ECM has power to it if your code reader is reading from it. Without live data, it's hard to tell though?

Operator

Wild guess but would it work to unhook battery and kill memory in computer then hook back up. I've had to do that with my Fords. :ychain:

Randy

stevasaurus

Good call Randy...dang computors...could be just a re-boot. Have heard of that. :D :ychain:

mavfreak

Nylon I am using the snap on scan tool that does read live data. Its older but I do have the updates to 2008. Was told by snap on guy that this is out dated and there not supporting it anymore. He tried selling me a OTC brand one. I was nice but a little harder to use than the snap on one. But doing some research on it I found out that they make the same one for sears and its a little cheaper. only thing that they don't have is the PC hook up for the updates and I would have to buy that cord from them. ok I'm off tract now sorry...

The crank sensor was busted off and was replaced with one from Hyundai. There is no live data to read when car is not running. I know things have change some since 97 when I quit as a mechanic and went to be a welder but this thing is just puzzling to me.

The fuel pump kicks on with key but the computer operates it after start up.

The sonata that mark has at his shop has a V6 in it so that won't help us. When I talked to him today he wants me to go and see if there is power into the ECM and out. Also he wants me to check the voltage out of the crank sensor it is a 5v signal out. His thinking is that it may be bad, even though its new.

If I don't get it going by the weekend we'll tow it to Mark's shop so we can play with it there. I guess he's thinking of retiring this spring and its just down to him working now, he's lonely and bored and wants a good challenge.

WheelHorse_of_course

I have a gut feeling that says something else happened - like someone tried to jump start it and connected the cables backwards, or the voltage regulator went screwy and ran up the charging voltage to something ridiculous.

The reason I say this is why the heck did your fuel pump relay and fuel pump go out. I am thinking whatever took them out may have taken out any number of others things including the ECM.

Best of luck dude...

:ychain: :D

mavfreak

Yes I agree and that is something that will be check as soon as it is running again. Mike and I both agree that something spiked the electical in this, but I am concered cause fuses should have blown or links should have popped. But nothing that can be found.

I check the power out of sensor. 5v. Its good.

Car is going to Mark's tonight.

:ychain::D:D:hide::DB):D :D

Butch

If it were a Jeep Grand Cherokee I'da said it was alarm related.

mavfreak

pause........butch Your on to something here.....I have the radio pulled out to get into the relay

Butch

pause........butch Your on to something here.....I have the radio pulled out to get into the relay

Your symptoms sound like my sons Jeep which was the alarm. I could get the engine to run on straight starter fluid but not on it's own. I kept spraying it in and it would run as long as you had ether. I could even hear the fuel pump in the gas tank. I knew something was shutting down the ECM but couldn't figure out what. It was the alarm system.

6wheeler

Never thought of that guys, My 98 suburban has the passlock system. If someone were to bust the keylock to steal it, it would start. But, it would only run for 15 sec. and then wouldn't start til the proper key was used. Apparently, this feature can go haywire. Then it has to go to GM to reset it. But, I am curious about the burning everything out. It wouldn't necessarily blow the fuse. I believe it has a breaker, when it gets hot it blows but, when it cools off it will shoot the juice again. Hmm. I'd like to have it here too. I love a good challenge. Good luck to ya.. Pat

mavfreak

well it turns out Hyundai dealership sold me the wrong relay. Its a combo one that has the ECM and fuel pump relay in it. My car is an 04 but it has 05 parts in it. They look identical and plug in the same but must be different somehow. Anyway I got the new relay and car fires up and runs!

Now when I was checking belts and everything I laid a screw driver on the top of engine and it touched the coil. The car stalled out. Apon farther inspection the spark plug boot and disintegrated and was shorting out. That could be were the voltage spike is. They are going to be changed out as soon as they come in tomorrow. 78 dollars for four rubber boots (dealer only of course) And a set of plugs (dealer only also) 42 dollars.

I got burned on the plugs from after market. Bought plugs That were said to be for car came home wouldn't even run. Took old plug to napa and they cross referenced it and said they sold me the right plug so I took home another set still no start. Went to Hyundai and bought it from them came home put in and ran.

I hate Hyundai!

Kelly

Glad to hear you have it running, even with all the headaches.