Sign in to follow this  
hoosier

Pet peeves

hoosier

First off, Happy birthday to all the April guys. :whistle: I'm just wondering, and maybe it's not appropriate for a topic, but just want to ask. What really trips your trigger about everyday life? One of mine is can it be that hard to make toilet paper or paper towels to actually tear off where it's supposed to? I admit we buy the cheap stuff, but c'mon. Another is the use of turn signals, is that a lost art? I could go on but won't, for now. Let's vent some. :WRS:

kj4kicks

OK, just remember, you opened this can of worms !

#1 - People who put American flags on imported vehicles.

#2 - US Government signs written in Spanish (My fav T-shirt reads "Welcome to America, now speak English" )

#3 - (used to be #1 about 10 years ago) People who pull out in front of you, go one block, and come to a complete stop to make a left turn.

I could go on and on... but I won't (for now).

TT

And the ever-popular Harley Davidson license plate on the front of a Honda car or Toyota pick up. :wtf:

T-Mo

How about "Union Yes" on a Nissan or Toyota? People who do not put their shopping carts in the proper places at Walmart? Or people who park in handicap parking spaces who aren't handicapped? I could probably think of more, but.... :whistle:

Curmudgeon

Car radios so loud the driver can't hear the fire engine behind them with sirens screaming. (Yes, I'd head firemen complain about having to follow these idiots) I wonder how they'd feel about their house going up in flames because the firetruck was following another idiot like themselves? Or the ambulance?

Harley riders that seem to think noise laws don't apply to them. Had a large group ride through town the other day. None of them had mufflers, and even at slow speed, the sound was deafening. Do these idiots realize just how BAD of an image they are portraying themselves as?

Why don't the cops enforce the noise laws on the books that prohibit such behavior? Those laws came in existence for a reason after all!!!!!

CasualObserver

How about "Union Yes" on a Nissan or Toyota? People who do not put their shopping carts in the proper places at Walmart?

Uh... Terry... Nissans are built in Mississippi, and Toyotas are built in Texas and Tennessee...Mistubishi's have been built in Illinois for close to 20 years... there's probably more places that I'm not aware of... all with UAW labor.

and I'm 100% on the cart thing... not just at WM... but anywhere.... for crying out loud... you're not in that big of a hurry... put your damn cart away!

CasualObserver

Dale... that stack you have on Tall Girl... and you're complaining about the Harleys? :whistle:

nylyon

The price of Heating Oil, costs that a Dentist charges for 10 minutes worth of work, people who park in a fire zone, even if just running into the store for a minute, for that matter all inconsiderate people... Do you really need a cell phone while in the grocery store, on-line waiting to check out?

TT

Why don't the cops enforce the noise laws on the books that prohibit such behavior? Those laws came in existence for a reason after all!!!!!

I'm not going to stir this up too much, Dale..... :D

Most of the law enforcement officials around here are also "weekend outlaws". (Watch the movie Wild Hogs for reference. :D ) They're probably all just "toy-running, bar-hopping buddies" who share in the artifical coolness of a bike. :)

The more I look at the people who ride Harley's nowdays, the more I understand why I sold mine 18 years ago. :dunno: We never rode with "rice-burners" in our pack, nor did we wave to every passing motorcycle just because we were on a bike too. :whistle: We have been known to "pipe" a few joggers or bicyclists though. :D

It seems that towns are more concerned about engine brakes on trucks making "noise" -- without regard to the damage a truck can do by crashing through a house when the brakes overheat and fail. :wtf: (or the money savings to the truck owner by not having to replace brake shoes as frequently.)

(that would open an additional category for me to rant about.... how are these non-English speaking burrito & diaper heads getting Commercial Drivers Licenses and operating on OUR highways legally? :WRS::D )

I guess I better stop now - before I have to take another blood pressure pill. :D

That one ought to be worth about 29

T-Mo

Jason,

Some of the places you mentioned, i.e. Tennessee, are "right-to-work" states. Now if they are still UAW, so be it. But, I still say the corporate dollar isn't going here it's going overseas. But I digressed.

Jim_M

One of my many pet peeves can be summed by a bumper sticker I saw a while back..."Could you drive any better if I shoved that cell phone up your ass?"

whchris

my pet peeves, home owners that think they know more that the electrician, homeowners that do the work them selfs the night before you get there so on top of doing your original work you have some demo to do also, drywall hangers that dont give a s**t where your electrical boxes are and bury them, drilling a hole in concrete then fitting the pipe while the home owner decides that they need to blow the dust through from the other side, many many more but thats just what i ran into today

TT

I almost forgot my biggest peeve......

10 hot dogs in a pack, but only 8 buns ????? :wtf:

whchris

thats a conspericy TT thats so you have to buy 8 packs of hot dogs and 10 packs of buns to end up with a matching number

catman81056

Driving 70mph down the freeway and some A$$hole 20 ft off my bumper and content to stay there. Lights me rightup!!!!

hoosier

Wow, great stuff. :WRS: I agree with the cellphone bit. I don't , though, understand the jake brake part. How does that work? I've always thought it would be better to use the brakes than to put the slowing down requirements on the engine.. Would'nt that increase the wear on the engine? There are no grades around here, to speak of, but I hear it daily. Do some just like the sound? Don't get mad at me Terry, I just am not informed. :whistle:

TT

I borrowed this directly from the Jacobs Vehicle Systems website. There isn't anyone who can explain it better than the manufacturer of some of the best engine compression braking systems available. :whistle:

"The Jacobs Engine Brake

Nick

These might just be my pet peeves but I hate people that whip into the right lane and try passing when the left lane is near bumper to bumper traffic. Only slightly worse is when I make my way into the left lane to be nice to someone at an onramp only to have them start passing me on the right so I cant get back over and I have my offramp coming up.

TT, very nice description of the jake brakes. I had an idea how they worked just didnt know how important they could be. Also reminds me that some truckers like to hit the jakes in tunels, is that needed or just fun. :whistle:

Curmudgeon

A: Tall Girl doesn't roam the neighborhood being a public nuisance. If she was an every day worker, she'd have a different pipe cause I sure would NOT want to listen for long. Short periods of time are fine, but I value my hearing too much to listen for extended periods.

2: Yeah, jake brakes are loud, but a huge brake saving, safety feature, that again, only lasts a few seconds, not a prolonged noise. Ever notice how many of the modern trucks are hammering down the road, hauling a 53' trailer, working it's butt off, and it's making LESS noise than your typical Harley????

III) I work in a "right to work" state. I wonder who came up with that name? Basically what it means is I can be fired without reason. It should be "no right to work".

Do we spend too much time on the roads? Did anyone notice, other than the hotdog conspiracy, pretty much most of the peeves related to driving?

HEY, this was a column for sounding off!!! ROFLMAO

hoosier

Thanks Terry. I would be pretty sure the manufacturer would paint it in glowing terms. My question remains, would that have any adverse effect on an engine long term? It sounds kind of brutal, when you hear it. :WRS: Again, I'm just asking. :whistle:

TT

If you don't keep the clearance adjusted (on the older ones) it can cause minor damage.

To make it short & sweet -- the engine brake quickly opens the exhaust valve just as the piston is coming up on TDC of the compression stroke. The noise you hear is the sudden burst of air from each cylinder being expelled out the exhaust.

Curmudgeon

The minor increase in engine wear is FAR less costly than the cost of brakes it replaces. Not to mention the safety factor of not having hot brakes when you REALLY need them to work. It seems most car drivers HAVE to be in front of a truck, even though that truck has a far greater breaking distance.

Personally, I'd rather follow a truck, as I can do anything quicker in a car than that truck can do. It's a safer place to be. But then, most drivers think everyone is in bumper cars.... LOL

jerrell

:omg: :thumbs: my pet peeve is the tailgaiters and lane huggers, :banghead::USA: with the tailgaiters i speed up and when they are a safe distance behind me i hit my brakes, especially at nite , they drive me crazy..... the lane huggers, i just wobble a bit and they see this old white haired man weaveing around and they give me plenty of room, especially if i am in the dually :lol::lol: i always try to drive curtously, but i get road rage every so often... :imstupid:

wh500special

the tailgaiters i speed up and when they are a safe distance behind me i hit my brakes, especially at nite , they drive me crazy....

WOW.

Two wrongs make a right?

MaineDad

Politcal ads