Sign in to follow this  
mavfreak

Unemployment

mavfreak

Well come in january I'll will be unemployed for almost a year.

I lost my job when the company decided it would be a good idea to move the manufacturing to Mexico.

Now I have been looking for a new job. yesterday I had an interview at another place. It went so well I was sure that I would be hearing from them. Well I did. And I didn't get it. I was told that I had a great work history and would fit well in there company but was overqualified for the job. I have heard this from time to time.

I worked as a welder at my former job. I did all types of welding and fitting I know how to read blue prints. 80% of what I did was small parts and I used a TIG. Most of these places I am finding looking for welders there faces light up and they get excited that I'm a TIG welder. One place said they just fired the only person they had that knew how to TIG and I did a nicer job than he did. So why didn't I get the job. Well over qualified means I made to much money where I worked. But I need a job and understand that I have to start at the bottom and work up.

I had gone to another job prospect and they was looking for a welder. But found out that according to them welders are a dime a dozen and that's what the pay there welders they start at 9 dollars an hour and top rate is 10.50. But he thought I would be a better fitter which is 14 an hour. But unforchantly he didn't need any at that time and he would get back to me. I just seen a posting for a fitter at that place this morning.

I'm getting sacred that I'm going to lose my touch after not welding for almost a year.

I'm just frustrated and venting here guys.

VinsRJ

I feel your pain, as we speak my company is in the process of selling off our division..... so I'll be pounding the pavement also. Keep your head high and know in yourself that you can do anything :thumbs: At the end of the day things work out and happen for a reason.

Now my opinion on the topic of "overqualified"..... I find this to be the biggest crock of sh-t that has ever come down the pike. I've interviewed canidates for posistions and have been in round table meeting finalizing canidates and have heard this topic come up almost everytime. The therory behind this is employers are afraid that you will get board or not feel fulfilled in the position and soon jump ship soon after starting. My personal retort to this is let me be the judge....... not you. Because 9 times out of 10 (in this job market) an individual looking for a job needs job, no the holy grail position.

Stay strong!

AMC RULES

God bless you buddy, you're in our prayers. Keep pluggin' away, the best is yet to come. You don't sound like the type that would ever lose his touch. Like riding a bike, bet you pick that welding up right where you left off. :thumbs:

racinfool40

I feel your pain Heath I'm basically in the same boat.. I was a structural Steel welder for 12 yrs and then went to a factory as a Mig welder, For a forklift manufacturer. Very well known Industrial forklift manufacturer!! I've heard it over and over "your over Qualified"!!!! This same Company had an add in the local paper stating they were hiring Welders and a few other positions.m So I went back filled out the appropiate paper work and 2 days later received a call from the personel department. They ask me why I filled out an application while I'm still on recall statues..Go figure then proceeded to tell me there wages had been lowered and I was over qualified!!!

Then Monday morning when I sit down at my puter and do my online unemployment. I receive an E-mail stating your benefits have ending due to funds being exhausted!!ok Thanks for a little warning I thought i could draw till the end of Feburary!!!

Right before Christmas!!!"Bastards"

Now I'm not one to complain but I've never been laid of before and have served in the Marines during Desert Storm so I'm a little bitter right now!!!Sorry for the long post but I needed to vent!!!!

So heath keep your head up and we will keep plugging away!!!!! MIKE.... :thumbs:

rmaynard

Sorry to hear that the job search is not going well. I will relate my story.

After 34 years in the same line of work, I found myself on the outside looking in.

I had two things against me. The economy was in a recession, and I was in my late 50's. Don't let anyone tell you that there is not age discrimination out there.

So my wife got tired of me whining and complaining that the world was not treating me fairly, and suggested that I start my own Handyman business. I'm not getting rich by any means, but it, along with her small salary, does pay the bills.

Good luck.

Bob

Operator

I'll say it too, "Hang in there Buddy"

I know what your all saying too, I get laid off every fall, up here it's hard to produce effectivly in the winter in my line of work, aggregate [rocks] crushing and washing. So every fall I get laid off around Thanksgiving. this year I made it to yesterday. Now I'm off too.

Anyway I wanted to get back into truck driving, well since I haven't drove steady for over ten years the trucking co's ins. wouldn't let me on. So I have to find some little hole in the wall co. to start at and work up.

I'm looking at around four and a half months of un-emp.

Randy

WheelHorse_of_course

And yet another story (and perspective)

Lost my job the middle of May - "downsizing".

I have been working for manufacturers of electronic equipment for broadcasters since 1997. I know tons about Telco data networks and quite a bit about IP too.

But since most of what I know I learned in the real world... I am underqualified. I don't have all these darn certifications that the big company HR people use to judge potential employees without doing their jobs.

I happen to know that when it comes to Telephony Cisco is teaching stuff that is incorrect. It makes me think twice about going back to school to get their certification since it means un-learning things I already know.

I'll be fifty in the spring so I know that does not help me either.

Been working since 1977 (actually, I had a paper route before that) and paying into unemployment since then. Never once had to claim till now. But when my 26 weeks expires later this month it is "too bad".

We moved to the DC area because my wife got a great job here (moving had no relation to my being laid off). Wells Fargo is being totally unreasonable about a handful of missed payments (never more than one at a time) on our house in Ohio because it is not owner occupied. I just wish they would take the darn thing, but they will then force us to declare bankruptcy. The real reason is they make more money from the mortgage owners by foreclosing than by working with us. Actually they did work with us, and then reneged on us.

I saw a job for a shoeshine boy in the paper. It said "experienced only need apply".

Been making a few bucks selling stuff on ebay, but not much.

Just venting...... at least we can all know we are not alone.

:thumbs:

6wheeler

I hear you guys, Randy are officially Laid Off? My company won't let me get Laid Off... I am currently on call. 24 hours last week and so far this week? zippity do. The wife has been trying to find a job for a year. She even went back to her old company Blue cross, where she worked for twelve years. They would like to hire her, because of her knowledge and experience in this dept. But, get this.... We have your file and you would be great for this but, you are overqualified.... Its the same job she did before she left for maternity leave. That leave was a while ago but doesn't that sound stupid? :thumbs: And I will also say this, Any company that thinks good welders are a dime a dozen, DOESN'T make a product worthy of being sold in the USA :) So, I'm done too. Keep your chins up fellas, We are all in this together.. Good Luck and Happy Holidays to you and yours.. Pat

tarcoleo

Mr. Maynard-

Hi again. About your handy andy business. Don't think of it as a temporary

arrangement. Losing a job, for me (retired and 79), always proved to lead

to better things. After I was fired for the last time (actually I was given a choice

to relocate to obscurity junction), I reconsidered what "work" is.

You could market your unique skills in your own business. Take seriously what

you have started in this area. Maybe the Missus is right. You would be surprised to

learn how many people will pay good money for a man with good hands to solve

their problems.

Put a classified ad in the paper as I did for years- "LOVE FOR SALE, just what

you've always wanted, someone who will listen, attend to your problems with

skill and know-how, and solve them. I'm Bob Maynard and if you have need for

repair of any mechanical device smaller than, say, a garden tractor, call me."

---------------------------

Good luck, Tom in RI

rmaynard

Good point Tom. The "Handy Andy" business does at time move in mysterious ways. I was doing a job for a lady whose husband is paralyzed from a stroke, and while painting the garage floor, she asked if I could start her lawn mower for her. After a little tinkering, I found the problem, fixed it, and she has referred me to many of her lady friends to fix their mowers. Never even considered that as a part of the handyman business, but darned if there isn't money in it.

Been tossing around the idea of an ad to go into the local paper that says "local handyman will get your snowblower ready for winter. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx"

Bob

tarcoleo

Bob-

"Been tossing around the idea of an ad to go into the local paper that says "local handyman will get your snowblower ready for winter. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx"

------------

That's way to NARROW an appeal. Don't box your self in to snowblowers.

Suggest that you're a skilled craftsman, fabricator, solver of a broad range

of mechanical problems. Make the lead-in to your ad eye-catching, if not sexy.

You can do this!

Regards, T in RI

Butch

The FAA is hiring Air Traffic Controllers for the next 10 years. No experience needed. All you need is a HS diploma and continuing work for two years. Veterans get preference. Max age to be hired is 31 years old. You can at least fill out an Application and get on the list. The list is only about a year long. Pay and job security are good. Pay is around $20,000 to $150,000. The lower pay is just to go to their school in OKC and they pay per diem.

You can become a nurse in South Jersey making $40 an hour for 2 years of school.

Long Haul truck drivers are in demand and I hear they pay pretty well. I don't know how long training is to become a driver. When I moved in 1981 the truck driver told me he made around $48,000 a year and owned his own rig. Pretty good money for 1981.

Those are 3 jobs you could consider that pay good.

mr.pipes

Well, you can add me to the RedSquare unemployment club.

26 weeks of benefits?? Four and a half months???

Two years ago I was talking to a girl who I worked with long ago and she was going to be getting unemployment for two years. She got her first and maybe the second extension without even applying for it. I haven't looked into how long I can collect for, but time seems to be flying.

Bob, when I do find the occasional plumbing side job I am always running into people who need a handyman. There are lots of single women, people without time and people without the knowledge to do these tasks. You can get business cards online for next to nothing these days. If you have a local paper with cheap classifieds that worth a shot. I know some guys that get job leads for a small fee online. And if the job is not your cup of tea I'm sure you can get them in touch with someone who can help them.

Or

You can become a nurse in South Jersey making $40 an hour for 2 years of school.

mavfreak

That underqualified overqualified is a crock of ____ . My wife is out of work also and she is in HR. When they say shes overqualified for the job I feel its cause she knows more than the HR person hiring her.

WheelHorse_of_course

Well, you can add me to the RedSquare unemployment club.

26 weeks of benefits?? Four and a half months???

Two years ago I was talking to a girl who I worked with long ago and she was going to be getting unemployment for two years. She got her first and maybe the second extension without even applying for it. I haven't looked into how long I can collect for, but time seems to be flying.

26 weeks is all you get unless they extend it.

EVERY time in the past that the unemployment rate was above 7% congress has extended it until THIS WEEK when they decide not to (the extensions expired Nov 31).

They say they won't extend it unless the top 2% get an additional tax break than the rest of us poor peons. Yesterday they voted against a tax cut for EVERYONE because the rich did not get an additional bonus tax cut. All but 2 republicans voted against this tax cut for everyone. 20 democrats voted against it too.

Sorry to bring up congress... but it just happens to be relevant to this thread.

bitten

All I can say is good luck to all of you,I still have my job but never know for how long.

mavfreak

This is kinda why I started this thread. One is to vent and the other is to let others vent.

porkchop

:thumbs: Hey Mayfreak try a different angle. I have a friend that works at a welding supply house as much as you know about welding try getting a job selling the stuff.They are always looking for experienced help. Just a thought.

stevebo

Sorry to hear about all the folks not working right now. IMO and have been on the other side of interviews for about 10+ years I never told anyone they were over qualified. My first interview out of college (back in 1995) the market was not great and I interviewed a a lawn chemical company (not sure of the position right now) but after the interview I thought it was a no brainer that I would get the position however they called and told me I was overqualified too. Those companies that tell you that are afraid you will get hired and they spend $$ training you etc and you will continue to interview elsewhere and once you get a better suited job you will jump ship. You will need to convince them that is not the case ! Good luck it will turn.

mavfreak

I been doing the Handy man thing f some time now. Its actually helping us to give the kids a Christmas. Cause unemployment isn't really cutting it. I have a friend that owns his own construction business. I have been laboring for him. I also have a couple of cliants myself that call when they need somethings done like I remodeled ones bathroom and I hung some light fixtures for another and installed a new dishwasher for another. I also have in my garage my dads craftsman and my step-dads JD 318 that I'm working on.

I would love to do this for a living but to be honest its not paying the bills right now. if the wife could land a job I may push it harder but for now it helps. Like I tell people, in my situation every penny helps.

mowerman1193

I started to post this great big long post about me being off work now for 12 years. But then I thought about it and it sounded like a poor me post so I didn't post it. My being unemployed was a decision my wife and I made for our kids so it was a choice, not like you guys that have no choice about it.

Now that my kids are on their feet and all in school I tried to go out to get a job. They look at me and say you have no work history for 10 years ( this was 2 years ago). I can't hire someone without a recent work history. Temp services say the same stuff. Sorry can't help you out if you have not worked for 10 years. Not quite sure how I am supposed to get a work history if I can't get a freakin job..My job I had quit at I had worked for them 11 years and started out as a general labor moved up to loading shipping department and the last two years was the head boss of the shipping/receiving.

That is what got me started into selling my woodworking crafts. It helps pay the bills etc. I always have done odd handyman type jobs and restored a few cars etc to help make some money for bills etc. But I had hoped for a job to do some extras like build a pole barn and put in money for retirement etc. But that stuff I guess is not going to happen until I get a work history somehow..

At least we can pay the bills and have food on the table so I am thankful for that..

Kevin

HorseFixer

Mav I hope all turns out well for You! :) Good things come to those who wait and I hope this be the case. Good Luck My Friend! :thumbs:

mavfreak

Kevin I know that is hard to hear. But you got time with your kids that most can't say they have gotten. Keep trying that's all I can say, its all I can say to anyone of us that is off right now. something got to break for us.

You could have posted anything you wanted here, this isn't a pity party in my eyes, its more of "hey who else is in this predicament and lets help one another"

sort of like therapy.

we are all proud people I can see that from just about every post on RS I have read. I wanted this to help us see that we're not alone and I got your back kinda thing.

Good luck to us all

So lets hear the good the bad and the ugly

Mybe something some did will help one of us to find something!

WheelHorse_of_course

Kevin and others,

I highly recommend a book called "Don't Use a Resume". If you search it on Amazon you will see a review I wrote about it.

It outlines the concept of promoting accomplishments and achievements versus "job responsibilities".

One great example the show is a homemaker who is looking for work. It shows how she was able to outline what she accomplished for her family as a homemaker versus the job title.

It is a cheap book and well worth it. As I say in the review, I owe the author for getting a job I was at for 13 years (and then that job lead to another for 3).

I wish us all luck, but as long as there are 5 applicants for every job it is going to be bad times for some of us no matter what. Nothing is "trickling down" any more, if it ever did.

I do appreciate the chance to vent - I am worried sick given the fact my unemployment ends in a few weeks.

Good luck to all

:thumbs:

tarcoleo

Hey bros-

At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, let me talk briefly about hand-andy

business. It takes time to develop a reputation and clientele, but it can be done.

I operated such a business for 22 years, without employees. The name of my

game was to keep things simple, and see how many dollars I could turn by

myself. That meant getting to the point where I could pick and choose jobs that

I was suited to (knew how) and that were worth my time. I did not take any job

that came down the pike. To do get to that point took time and wide appeal.

"Wide appeal" means 1) figuring out where you get the biggest advertising bang

the buck, and 2) wording your sales pitch to appeal to the broadest spectrum of

possible customers. Experience will teach you how to do this better and better.

Lecture over. Spend sleepless nights thinking how to do these things so that you

can sleep at night.

Tom in RI