WHC-125

Dont tempt me :thumbs:

Bill

Dont tempt me :)

Don't even think about it :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Stay straight my friend...plenty of time for all the good times. :thumbs:

WHC-125

I know I am going to Steve. Sometimes Bill gets a little carried away with his crazy ideas and I get caught in the middle :thumbs:

Bill

I know I am going to Steve. Sometimes Bill gets a little carried away with his crazy ideas and I get caught in the middle :)

Excuse Me??? :thumbs:

WHC-125

You know im right :thumbs:

Operator

Just my opinion here but flatbeds just don't look right on a short bed truck, makes the cab look to long and out of dimension.

Randy

WHC-125

Yeah thats what I have been thinking too. I am prolly going to look at a bed for it Sunday

WHC-125

Here are some progress pictures. I also got the driver side tank out today and worked on the frame some more and the underside of the cab.

Bye Bye bed!

001-3.jpg

Started working on cleaning up the frame and took out the passenger side tank

003-3.jpg

005-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

And the junk pile

013-1.jpg

The only good pieces here are the spare, bedliner, bed mat, and maybe a few pieces but its getting there!

014.jpg

zieg72

Here is my latest toy, up to 6 trucks now....

Attached Image

post-12-1290819037.jpg

WHC-125

Looks nice Carl! :thumbs: Did you do the work or buy it that way?

zieg72

Looks nice Carl! :thumbs: Did you do the work or buy it that way?

Bought it that way. One of 707 made/converted in Arlington, TX between the 1973-1987 square bodies. They were an option down south similar to a van conversion is today. You went to the dealer, picked out or ordered what you wanted, the dealer would send the truck out and you got it when it was done. This one had some custom upgrades when it was restored 6 years ago with s-10 rear pop out windows and a 1 piece Astro mini-van ribbed roof, both common problem areas for bodywork cracking and windows leaking. This is the only C-30 known to still be around. It took 3 years of searching for one that wasn't to far away and I could afford... This one is a 1985. I have a 1985 C20, 2-1986 C-10's and a 1991 Suburban parts truck. I have a sickness for the 81-87 GM pickups...

WHC-125

Sounds like a good history behind it and I think I am going to have more than one in the future as well :thumbs:

zieg72

one 86 and the 91 Suburban are parts trucks, glad I live in the country where it is the norm to have a few around. Check out:

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php

Great bunch of guys very similar to the RS folks. I am zieg85 over there.

WHC-125

Thanks, I seen that forum before and it has alot of great info and like you said alot of great people like on here :thumbs:

WHC-125

As you could see in the pics there are a few spots on the frame that I have to fix. And the rear of the frame is the worst. Right where the bumper bolts to and the last two of the bed bolt holes are gone. What do you guys think I should do as far as fixing that? I was thinking about eith cutting it all clean off the back and using either channel or box tubing. And then reinforce it as well. Let me know what you guys think

stevasaurus

Chris...hard to tell what you actually have there from the pictures. Reinforcement is probably the way to go, but without good pics...hard to say. Great progress though...sometimes just getting it torn apart is the hardest part. :thumbs:

WHC-125

Yeah true. I will try to get some more up bit with it getting dark around 4:30 it is hard to when I want to work on it as well and have other stuff going on. But I am going to probably also box the frame in spots too, then I could just have the extra strength and I might as well do it while its all apart the right away then have to take the bed and everything off again down the road.

truckin88

dude diamond plate bed w/ a stake body. You will fit so much stuff, and removable sides allow loading from all sides.

WHC-125

Im thinking about it Will but I would like a regular bed

WHC-125

Today, I picked up some parts for the truck finally. I got a replacement bed thats in nice shape and doesnt need much body work, a cap for it, and 2 gas tanks(that have the straps, mounts, and sending units). I am going to get some pics tomorrow but I am really happy with my haul :thumbs:

WHC-125

Well this project is coming to an end. I have decided not to try to tackle fixing the frame as it is not worth fixing. I am parting out the truck as of now and will be going to find another truck in nicer shape to have as a less involved project. :ychain:

stevebo

If I remember there was a time a certain member asked for advise in buying his first truck and another member suggested that he wait and find a new model truck with higher miles and spend a few more bucks. By doing so that member would avoid all the repairs that go into old beaters and in the end save money and end up with a better vehicle. :ychain:

WHC-125

Yeah but the thing is older vehicles are built better and im still going to get another older one just better shape, so I will have to do less work.

Operator

I'd still fix it up. Just don't get carried away on it, don't cut frame just "fishplate" the back side of it. You have the "new" box and parts. :D

Just don't expect it to look like Zieg72's :ychain: it would be a good learning experience for the next one.

Randy