Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

Camper window repair??

mowerman1193

Hello Everyone,

I let my inlaws stay in my camper while they visited and I think they must have stripped out every single window crank gearbox. Stopped at the local RV parts store to get some new ones and it seems they have several different styles. So I need to take one off to take it in to match it up.

Has anyone ever done this? I took all the screws out and can move the gearbox around but cannot get it out of the windows channel. I know that probably don't make any sense to you unless maybe you have been there done that..Getting dark out now so I can't get any pictures now..

Ok going back out to mess with it, maybe I will figure this out..Just thought I would ask as maybe someone has been there before and has some advice, LOL

I know I will get it one way or another but hate to have to glue the window back together :thumbs::)

Thanks,

Kevin

Operator

Kevin you can sometimes slid it up then off the cross tube, "sometimes" is the word. If they are plastic handles maybe they are the stripped parts and not the gear box. :thumbs:

There is another way - pull complete window out then unscrew frameing. Not a fun chore.

Good luck!

Randy

mowerman1193

Thanks for the advice, I wish it was just the handles but its the gearbox for sure. Looks like I may have to take out the window. I might try drilling the pop rivets from the windows linkage to allow me to angle the cross bar even more. They sure don't build these things very well, and they also don't make them with the intent for someone to work on them when they get older.. I put a new roof on it a few years ago and what a mess. Ended up replacing all of the decking too. Its a wonder they don't fly apart while being towed, LOL

Kevin

Operator

Another thought, how about cutting the crosstube then after fixin gearbox you could retube the tube , next size bigger tube over the origional. Just a thought.

I demo'd a camper this summer and have lots of windows piled up. If you have problems finding gearbox'.

Randy