Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

I found a little toy to fix up

Horse'n Around

I used to have a Rupp minibike when I was a freshman in HS. As the years have gone by, I have often wished that I still had it so I started watching for one . I found this on Craigslist for $35.00 a week ago in Tucson so I went and bought it. It had no engine in it, its supposed to have a HS40 in it, I had this little HS30 sitting around. The exhaust post faces out the left side instead of out the rear of the engine.The gas tank is dent free and the rest of the minibike for the most part it is in pretty good shape. I have the headlight and tail light for it as well as the complete wiring harness.There is some rust on the rims but oh well I think I did good for $35.00 :thumbs: These things have become collectable, Who would have thunk it??? Im in no hurry to get it done, actually I wanted a Black Widow or a Roadster 2 which has 12 inch rims, this is a Roadster, which has 10 inch rims.I might fix this up and sell it and buy a Black Widow or a Roadster 2 like I really want So for now Im on the lookout for a complete HS40 to put in it.

I just thought I would share my little find with you.Believe it or not, the one I had went 45 MPH, the have a clutch like a snomobile has and as the RPMs increases the "geaing" changes.

John

Picture060.jpg

Picture059.jpg

chris11

Very cool John do you have the handle bars too?

Horse'n Around

Very cool John do you have the handle bars too?

Nope, its missing the handlebars and the clamps and the gas cap. Im keeping an eye out for some handlebars and the clamps and such, I see them on Ebay from time to time.Im sure glad it was stored inside a shed so the open gas tank didnt get filled with junk and end up rusted on the inside.

John

smokin joe

My other hobby is collecting and restoring old honda mini bikes.What ttype of handle bars does that take?If they are fold downs i may be able to help you.Good luck with it!!!

Don1977

Neat little bike! I built 6 with a friend at the place we worked.

We had a bunch of parts make at work, we called the "Government Work".

Bought the tubing built a jig and welded them up. I Still have Mine. It's a lot on the bad side, because I kept up grading the engine. My wife won't let me ride it anymore.

It started out with a Kohler K-91 with a chain clutch. Up graded that to a Borg-Warner

Industrial Torque Converter. Then I put a Go-Kart racing on it, that didn't last long.

It broke the safety link after about 100 ft. and took a big chunk out of my leg, and polished of better than half of the rear tire. Then I geared it up some but couldn't keep

the front wheel down. This engine was a Super Power Product 58 two cycle. The next engine is still on the bike, A 100 cc Hodaka Super Rat 5 speed Racing engine.

Imgp0066.jpg

Imgp0070.jpg

Imgp0069.jpg

Horse'n Around

Neat little bike! I built 6 with a friend at the place we worked.

We had a bunch of parts make at work, we called the "Government Work".

Bought the tubing built a jig and welded them up. I Still have Mine. It's a lot on the bad side, because I kept up grading the engine. My wife won't let me ride it anymore.

It started out with a Kohler K-91 with a chain clutch. Up graded that to a Borg-Warner

Industrial Torque Converter. Then I put a Go-Kart racing on it, that didn't last long.

It broke the safety link after about 100 ft. and took a big chunk out of my leg, and polished of better than half of the rear tire. Then I geared it up some but couldn't keep

the front wheel down. This engine was a Super Power Product 58 two cycle. The next engine is still on the bike, A 100 cc Hodaka Super Rat 5 speed Racing engine.

Imgp0066.jpg

Imgp0070.jpg

Imgp0069.jpg

Don,

Holy Cow I bet that thing runs like a striped ape! I know Hodaka Ace 100's well, I have owned and races a few of them. I never owned a Super Rat, that engine was more hyper than the Dirt Squirt wasnt it, Didnt it have a reed valve? I just gave my nephews Marshall and Taylon my old Dirt Squirt a few months ago for his first bike. A 2 stroke 100 like that with tiny wheels and no rear suspension has got to be exciting to say the least, Id give anything to ride it thats for sure :wh: I bet it never stops spinning that rear tire :) You did a great job buillding that bike, its way too cool!!!!! :thumbs:

John

harleyjj

I know a guy in the Detroit area who deals in parts for old minui bikes pm me and I will send you his contact info if you are interested.