Sign in to follow this  
slufoot733

Spark plugs

slufoot733

Maybe this is an old topic but recently I was in a discussion with a couple other guys about tractors and keeping them running at their best. The subject of spark plugs came up. These plain old, everyday, simple little 'thingys' that most people don't even think about most of the time are critical when it comes to running properly. Therefore, of all of you "mystical, all knowing gurus" of tractor restoration, I ask this, WHAT IS THE BEST BRAND OF SPARK PLUG AVAILABLE TODAY? There are so many brands out there, some much more commonly available than others. But, for the everyday Joe like most of us, what's your best recommendation?

Thanks,

Kevin

wh79d160

I prefer Autolite, AC & NGK.

Retired Wrencher

:thumbs: :):wh: good old H10 and J8`s

Raider

The best plug is the one the owners manual lists as the correct one for any given application unless modifications have been made to the engine. I'd take the engineer's word before a sales pitch everytime.

jhunsch

I totally agree

The best plug is the one the owners manual lists as the correct one.

My father lived by this rule all his days, and now I do to.

Another thing always make sure all wire connections are clean and your grounds are clean, points and timing are correct. Clean fuel And air and the wheel horse recommended / owners manual spark plug is the best one. :thumbs:

Jeff

Docwheelhorse

Hi--NGK's are simply the best followed by the Bosch series (espescially the platinums) then AC-Delco.... LEAVE THE CHAMPIONS ON THE SHELF !! :thumbs:

Tony

CasualObserver
The best plug is the one the owners manual lists as the correct one for any given application unless modifications have been made to the engine.

Jim_M

The best I've found for air cooled engines is NGK and the worst is Champion.

wheelhorse656

all i use on my motors in nkg or autolight. they run the smoothist in an older engine. :thumbs: :)

WheelHorse_of_course
The best plug is the one the owners manual lists as the correct one for any given application unless modifications have been made to the engine.

pfrederi

I now have had 2 cases where the Champion Plug that appeared to be in good condition would fire laying on the head, but would not fire in the cylinder under compression. No more Champions for me!!

mavfreak

I had gone to school for auto mechanics and the engine teacher there said that you should use what the manufacturer recommends. They did the research and they know what works best. So true in many cases. I had someone bring me a 97 dodge pickup with the 5.9 in it. Needed a tune up. Not a problem but he wanted ngk plugs ( customer is always right) so did the tune up and truck really didn't run any better. I ran all the dyno I could here with no real definitive answers. So I wanted the see what the fuel pressure reading was so the owner took it to a dealership. They found nothing wrong with the tune up save one thing. The plugs.

I have had many other things like this pop up from time to time.

My wifes car (hyundai) bought the same pugs that was in car from napa car wouldn't fire. went to dealer and talked to mechanic there and found that Hyundai changed plug design. Long story short bought plugs from them and its back up and running.

I agree with others here on the better brands of plugs but sometimes what was in there is the best