Sign in to follow this  
kajamo240

Cutting the cord

kajamo240

I would like to start off stating that I am not affiliated with or in any way shape or form trying to promote any of these products that I am about to discuss.

With that said, I would like to know what other people are using to get the most out of their television viewing experiences for as little dough as possible.

I have software called PlayOn which turns my pc into a digital center. Its able to stream Netflix, Pandora and even Hulu straight to my Nintendo Wii, PS3 and XBOX. I am also currently looking at purchasing a RoKu box, to use on my tv that does not have my gaming systems hooked up to, so I can watch tv there. PlayOn is $40 to start and $20/year after and the RoKu box ranges from $60 - $100 with no monthly/yearly fee. I plan on turning off my cable television soon and solely start using these devices.

I'm looking for some other ideas that others have used to cut the cord from cable or dish tv to save money without completely compromising tv programming...

:thumbs:

Raider

I built a full on HTPC for the same reason. It has a dual HD tuner and Netflix interface integrated with Windows 7 ultimate media center. Between Netflix's huge inventory of TV series and the local minor network stations that buy syndication rights to cable shows after they have played out their regular season I'm not missing anything I'd have only seen on a cable subscription. A lot of what I like to watch is on when it's not practical to watch also so I just have the PC record it and organize it all so I can watch it when I feel like it (usually in marathons when I'm under the weather).

The HTPC is really nice to watch football games on. I start recording them at their normal start time but don't start watching until halftime and I can skip right through all the commercials and garbage and still end at the same time.

The only subscription I pay is the $15/mo. Netflix, The rest of my hardware was payed for inside of a year by skipping the cable subscription.

kajamo240

I think that the only thing that I would miss from my cable subscription would be my FSN for Hockey. Although, with Hulu being compatable with PlayOn, I am able to watch a lot of the games but they are about a week behind on those... But on the plus side, I can get an NHL highlights subscription with Hulu and keep up on all the action of all the other games even when they are out of my region.

A buddy of mine does the same thing that you have. I just don't have all the smarts for that kind of stuff! :thumbs: