Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

If Wheel Horse made a GPS

rmaynard

While in pursuit of the elusive Wheel Horse, I find it most helpful to get directions from my GPS direction finder. I currently have a Garmin StreetPilot 2620 which was purchased in 2004 for over $900.00. Each year or so, the map updates have cost me $75.00. For the most part, this has been a great investment.

Now, Garmin has informed me that maps are no longer available for the StreetPilot 2620 and that 2009 is the last one I will be able to get. :USA:

So reluctantly, I am again in the market for a new GPS. I have vowed not to buy another Garmin for the very reason described above, :) and therefore am asking the opinions of my fellow RedSquare members for your suggestions for a new unit.

I am looking for something that has a large touch screen, ability to add an optional external antenna, LIFETIME free maps, and TRAFFIC updates with detour reroutes. I know that with GPS available on many cell phones now, the prices have come down drastically, and I would like to keep the price under $200.00.

Thanks guys. I know that you will have some suggestions for me.

Bob

JimD

I use a map. What's a GPS? :)

stevasaurus

We just got a TomTom, the wife loves it. Does all you mentioned and I think she got it from Home Shopping Network.We first used it on the trek to Penn. for the show and back. :):USA::wh: I give it 3 thumbs up. :)

tommy3horse

Hello Bob;

I have only used maps. I hear that GPS units are great but most of the horses I have found have been in the country. The guy I purchased the C-120 from lived so far out in the sticks that I don't think the "roads" were plotted anywhere....even on a map. I ended up calling him 3X to finally find him. But it was worth the drive!

Tom

:)

btrrg1969

magellan is my pick , Has been very accurite and easy to use , I use my almost daily at work .

GlenPettit

Magellan: they have models that are down to below $200, with no service contracts or fees, and the very basic unit is fine. Not 100% perfect on speaking the name of roads & cities, (Home base must be in deep South) but it does excellent on all main roads, turns & city streets.

I've heard stories (or maybe they were just jokes) of funny things happening, but I've been personally very happy with Magellan (we call her Maggie because ours has a women's voice), it's three years now.

Glen

rmaynard

I use a map. What's a GPS? :USA:

I should have figured that after I saw your cell phone at the WHCC show.

4b6c408b.jpg

Bob

kajamo240

The heck with buying a GPS. I use my Android phone and its just as good, if not better, than a TomTom or Magellan.

ducky

magellan is my pick , Has been very accurite and easy to use , I use my almost daily at work .

i agree. the only thing i wish it had that it doesn't is voice command. we nick named ours psycho *itch. :) but we enjoy it. but still use a map once n awile.

rmaynard

The heck with buying a GPS. I use my Android phone and its just as good, if not better, than a TomTom or Magellan.

Problem is that I don't have cell service that offers GPS.

Bob

Nick

Ive got a Garmin Nuvi that works ok but mine didnt come with free map updates and now when I turn it on tells me to update them. Think Ill buy a new unit first.

Even with the GPS it doesnt hurt to keep a good map. Forget the company name but I also have a nice back road map. This comes in real handy for getting around out in the sticks. Never fully trust the GPS. Its tells me Off route a lot plus on a new road shows me driving in the fields. :USA:

Call our GPS voice Wanda. :)

T-Mo

I don't have a GPS. The problem with GPS is that none of them can even find my address. I live 7 miles from the center of Bonne Terre and when I give my address to anyone with a GPS it takes them to the Hardees in Bonne Terre everytime.

I use maps and I always mapquest or Yahoo maps to locate where I'm going - and I have yet to get lost or gone down the long road. I'm afraid with GPS and all the modern technology the skill of map reading is getting lost.

rmaynard

...when I give my address to anyone with a GPS it takes them to the Hardees in Bonne Terre everytime.

:) Hmmm. Pick me up a burger on your way.

With the proliferation of GPS on cell phones and built into new cars, the GPS manufacturers are adding a lot of new features.

In my research, I found that Tom Tom has a built-in program that allows you to correct problems that you find in their mapping. Then you can upload that info to them and they will verify it and send updates to other users.

The problems that I have with maps and map books is that they are printed sometimes a year or so before you get them. So they are in many cases outdated before they hit the store shelf.

I'm sticking with GPS. If the same technology can pinpoint a group of terrorists standing on a corner in Baghdad, and send a missile to surgically take them out, they should be able to distinguish between the T-Mo residence and Hardees. :USA:

Bob

jdog_kustoms

i use tom tom and i made it all over pa and md with it and out to ohio and back with no issues at all and it seems to be really accuate it gets my vote for a good one to buy

rickv1957

Mapquest works well for me and the price is right!,Rick

Coadster32

I am an avid map/atlas reader. In the last 3-5 years, I hardly had gone anywhere without a google map/mapquest lookup. Never got lost. All of the GPS in freinds cars were nothing short of annoying, and figured I'd wait untill the technology better works itself out, as does ease of use and interfacing. It was finally time, and after much reviews,homework,opinions, and trying at the stores, came home last week with a Garmin nuvie 255w. This one doesn't have free future map updates, but is still pretty great. The atlas in my truck is from 2005. All the main roads still exist. I figure in five years when I need a map update, I'll just buy a new GPS (if I still like it then). Only cost $118 at Target. You can buy the same one with lifetime map updates, and traffic if you want. Still around $200 for it all. Good luck.

wh500special

"If Wheel Horse made a GPS" it would have V-belts and grease fittings and would weigh 600 pounds.

Steve

Nick

The Delorme Atlas and gazetteer is the backroad map I use. Not long ago the truck broke down and couldnt be driven over 35mph so the map came in handy to get around a large busy town.

This is a list of the maps but they sell for much less on sites like Amazon.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtp...&minisite=10020

Save Old Iron

I'm sticking with GPS. If the same technology can pinpoint a group of terrorists standing on a corner in Baghdad, and send a missile to surgically take them out, they should be able to distinguish between the T-Mo residence and Hardees.

You might be surprised how LITTLE current missle technology depends on GPS readings for primary guidance.

Why ?

The first thing the "enemy" would want to do to your high tech forces is blind them - by taking out some GPS satellites.

Granted, this won't happen from a poppy farmer in Afghanistan, but you get the picture. The military knows GPS is a target and does not rely on it entirely for guidance. Did we not just recently have one of our satellites damaged by an "off course" satellite killer rocket? I think the official explanation was "oops!!". I think a more accurate explanation would have been "this is a test, only a test".

If you give someone your longitude and latitude, a GPS will put them within 3 feet of your driveway, first time, every time.

If you depend on an "interpretation" of an private residence address within the GPS programming, then you will may need to stop at Hardees to ask directions to T-Mo's house.

rmaynard

Did we not just recently have one of our satellites damaged by an "off course" satellite killer rocket? I think the official explanation was "oops!!". I think a more accurate explanation would have been "this is a test, only a test".

Redundant backup is a term that comes to mind for something as important as this technology.

bowtieguy

I don't own a GPS......seldom look at maps or stop and ask for directions (guy thing!)-----I just ask my spouse....she knows everything!!! :) :USA:

btrrg1969

when I give my address to anyone with a GPS it takes them to the Hardees in Bonne Terre everytime.

I have had bad maps (directions) from all the mapping sources mention on this topic. From what I understand there are two or three data base sources that gps makers and online mapping like google , map quest etc. get their data , Every map source that I have looked at always stops me short of my house . So you still have to pay attention address numbers on building , mail boxes etc. , with that being said I love my gps and couldn't work with out it .I have never been lost, though I have been place's I didn't know where I was .

linen beige

"If Wheel Horse made a GPS" it would have V-belts and grease fittings and would weigh 600 pounds.

Steve

But it would ALWAYS get you where you need to be. :USA:

clintonnut

For the price of a GPS you can just get something like an IPHONE and use Google maps.

I just see them, look up the address on white pages get their name and number and call them up.

Charlie

rmaynard

For the price of a GPS you can just get something like an IPHONE and use Google maps.

I just see them, look up the address on white pages get their name and number and call them up.

Charlie

You're forgetting that the iPhone has a monthly fee of at least $100 per month. So the cost of the phone will be at least $1200 per year. The GPS is a one time cost of under $200.00.

Bob