T-Mo

Snowco Trailers

T-Mo

John Deere dealers use to sell these little trailers years ago. Their marketing strategy included the buyer to buy one of these trailers to get their new lawn and garden tractor home. I think they came in several different sizes. Here's a picture of one from a JD brochure from 35-40 years back:

snowcotrailer2.jpg

Here's one I found on someone's website of a Wheel Horse version:

snowcotrailer.jpg

Does anyone here own one of these little trailers? I, for one, would love to have one, but I only ran across one or two for sale and they were both too far for me to go and get. :thumbs:

T-Mo

For those interested, here's links to some info on them over on wfm:

Snowco Page 1

Snowco Page 2

Snowco Page 3

Snowco Page 4

Rollerman

Terry a friend of mine Dennis "WH867" owned & restored one a while back.

It's now owned by another member here John "Brrly"

Maybe he'll chime in with some info & recent pics.

T-Mo

I hope he does posts some pictures of it. I would like to find one near by.

Brrly1

Hello Stephen and Treed I will post some pictures of the trailer. I will even post the serial #. From what I have been told they start serial #'s at 1000 and this # happens to be 1013. You guyshave a nice evening as bed time is near. Take care John

000_1959__Small_1-1-1.jpg

000_1963__Small_1.jpg

Nick

Terry,

I like the Snowco tandem axle model. Small but could handle 3,500 pounds and only weighed a little over 800. Dont think Ive seen any of those around here though. SHould add the first tandem trailer I built ended up over 2,000 pounds. :thumbs:

Nick

T-Mo

John,

Can I say I'm envious and jealous of you? :thumbs: That's a nice looking trailer and great job on redoing it. It's awesome.

Nick,

To get a tandem axle trailer that light weight one would have to use aluminum. I also like the Triton, Aluma and Featherlite aluminum trailers. I wouldn't mind having one of those also. But, I still would refer an old Snowco. :thumbs:

CasualObserver

There were two trailers offered by Wheel Horse made by SnowCo. They were snowmobile trailers. The single place trailer is Wheel Horse model 9-0501 (SnowCo model 637) and the two place trailer is Wheel Horse model 9-0511 (SnowCo model 863) There were also other SnowCo trailers available through the Allied Attachment catalog but they were not given Wheel Horse model numbers, and I don't have info on them. Here's a clip from the Snowmobile Accessories Brochure. Not exactly heavy duty... probably most of them have been scrapped.

I know John bought Dennis's trailer, and I know where there is one more just like it being restored, but I have yet to ever see a two place one. I've never even found any real pictures of one other than the illustration in this brochure. John's is probably not for sale, and I've got dibs if the other person ever decides to sell his.

trailers.jpg

Oh, and Terry... good luck finding one... I've been looking for four years, and have only found the two. I've seen a few of the aqua colored JD ones... but the WH ones are really scarce!

T-Mo

Jason,

I'll take any I can find. :thumbs:

CasualObserver

I forgot something, Terry... that picture you posted.... IS John's trailer before Dennis restored it. :thumbs: small world... eh? Here's another shot of it.

trailer_then.jpg

T-Mo

I like the "after" pictures better. :thumbs:

madbrit

Thanks for the brochure pics of the Snowco.

I have a Series 48 but it has 5 lug wheels. Still wearing the original color scheme and has little corrosion. Must be something to do with it living for many years in the Arizona desert before I purchased it at an estate auction a few years ago.

My question is that there is a large diameter spring hanging down underneath. Obviously this is to keep the trailer tilted after unloading, but I could really use a picture of what should be there so I can make the necessary repairs. Thanks for any info you can offer.

Peter.

eburwell

here is mine on the underside. Don't know if this will help any.

noisno.jpg

14dhy0i.jpg

Redbirdman

I had three.........one brand new from 1965 that came with a new JD 110 on it. It had the heavy axel and straight tongue. The second one I found for a dollar in a junk sale and it lasted till about 10 years ago when the frame collapsed. The third I bought about 20 years ago and never could get the time to rebuild it. I buried it under a bunch of leaves (sold the axel and wheels though) when I moved from NJ.

If I am correct the actual decks were built from surplus Army mud tracks.....used to park aircraft on during the war and build roads and bridges across mud fields.

All three were great lite weight haulers except for three MAJOR flaws..........It was very hard to get the CG correct so you could haul a heavy tractor (like with a rototiller attachment) without putting the tractor front wheels up over the bulkhead, or the trailer became a gyrating wiggle wagon! Moving the axel back made it impossible to dump or load without slamming back down.

The second problem was people kept banging into it.......either by car or by knees! It sat so low with that pointee tail that it was hard to see.

The other really SERIOUS flaw was the curved front deck support held water and rusted from the inside out. My second one collapsed under a load even though the frame was spotless on the outside!

One or the other (I forget which) had the dropped gooseneck tounge......It's a shame, I still have the original owners manual someplace but the product long ago turned to rusty dust :wh:

Brrlys is not at all like the 3 I had since his appears to have the support frame above the deck (and also keeps things from sliding off)....

The rusty one in the photo above was just like all of mine and I don;t want to bring bad news but if you look at the curved frame I see rusty holes already rusted through. I am afraid that frame will never be able to be rebuilt (except maybe for show) because the inside is all rusted out and only the paint is holding it together.

Perhaps I am wrong............but please be careful!

Oh well, I love my Parker landscape trailer now..... :thumbs:

ed :D

PS: I think that slot in the front next to the tilt lock was for a chain and spring which could be adjusted so she did not slam when tilted up.......but I don't ever remember seeing one actually work....

Shuboxlover

My dad has one....I've hauled my fair share of hores home on that thing!!!

Hopefully it'll be mine someday :thumbs: (it was my grandpa's)

Brrly1

:D Hey Shuboxlover, don't let the ol' lady catch ya! There won't be any more beers or chicken waitin' for ya when you get home! :thumbs:

:wh:

Redbirdman

hauled my fair share of hores home

havent we all? :thumbs:

:D:wh:

Legal disclaimer: this is an attempt at good natured humor and in no way reflects real life or any form of insinuation that a member in good standing has difficulty knowing hpw yo speel.......I mean how to spell.

Shuboxlover

:wh: Hey Shuboxlover, don't let the ol' lady catch ya! There won't be any more beers or chicken waitin' for ya when you get home! :D

:D

no more chicken I can deal with....NO MORE BEER???? well,.....that's just crazy talk.

She couldn't live without the beer either :D

crap, did I just say that, hope she's not looking over my shoulder. :thumbs: :wh:

corn53

:thumbs: Too funny!!!

masternater
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2011 at 8:25 PM, eburwell said:

here is mine on the underside. Don't know if this will help any.

noisno.jpg

14dhy0i.jpg

how big is that spring and chain?

Mcaldera

A couple days ago i picked up a small trailer, when i got it home i removed the paint covering the name plate. The manufacture is Snowco model SM 636 and the SN#  I never heard of the manufacture  and tried looking it up online.  The manufacturer came up with a couple model #s  but nothing on the SM 636 model #.  is there anyone out there that knows anything about this one?.  The difference from the others is the plat form, the outer is smooth,  the middle section is perforated, a storage container at the front and on each side near the rear is a place to hold gas containers.  

953 nut
1 hour ago, Mcaldera said:

The manufacturer came up with a couple model #s  but nothing on the SM 636 model #.  is there anyone out there that knows anything about this one?.

:WRS:

We do have a couple of manuals on these trailers here. Perhaps one of these will be helpful.

T-Mo

Funny this thread came up again.  Last weekend I was at Lowes and there was a truck pulling a trailer right blocking the entrance to the loading area.  But what caught me eye was on the trailer was another trailer - a Snowco.

chip61

This is badged as a Davis Hustler trailer, but I am pretty sure it's a Snoco. My neighbor used this trailer to haul a ditch digger or this tractor around in the 70's. I bought it from his estate 10 years ago. It's always been kept under a shed.

IMG_20110919_111939.jpg

Edited by chip61
pic didn't attach
  • Like 1